XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Headlamp Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Headlamp Adjustment

For reasons which have much to do with a minor collision with a deer a few weeks ago, I have had to remove and replace my front bumper (fender ?) and headlamps.
I can't find anything in JTIS about how to check and adjust the alignment after putting the lights back.
There are two things that turn - the large knob on the rear of the motor which raises and lowers the dip beam, and the smaller white plastic rod - see arrows on photograph.
Can anyone point me to the correct bit of JTIS, or somewhere with instructions on how it is done.

Many thanks,
David.

Name:  headlight_arrows_zpskax7ny2w.jpg
Views: 3133
Size:  533.0 KB

Old 07-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Headlamp adjustment

Sorry to hear about your encounter with a deer...

My 97XK8 does not have the motorized front headlamp adjuster as yours, but I would still like to hear from esteemed members on this forum as to how to adjust my headlamps

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
For reasons which have much to do with a minor collision with a deer a few weeks ago, I have had to remove and replace my front bumper (fender ?) and headlamps.
I can't find anything in JTIS about how to check and adjust the alignment after putting the lights back.
There are two things that turn - the large knob on the rear of the motor which raises and lowers the dip beam, and the smaller white plastic rod - see arrows on photograph.
Can anyone point me to the correct bit of JTIS, or somewhere with instructions on how it is done.

Many thanks,
David.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Gosh that's funny I've been meaning to do the same thing too. I didn't even know there were motorized ones for 1997 and/or 1998. I look forward to the instructions as well. I was just thinking about this last night when I turned off the fog lights - my low beams alone are barely useful. It will be nice to get them right.

So, if anyone knows how to do this, please chime in and thanks.

John

Old 07-16-2015, 09:35 PM
Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

+1 Please advise us all, if you know how.
Thanks.

And Remember
Happy Motoring...

Old 07-17-2015, 02:55 AM
GGG
Received 16,869 Likes on 12,186 Posts

.......... I have had to remove and replace my front bumper (fender ?) and headlamps.
Can anyone point me to the correct bit of JTIS, or somewhere with instructions on how it is done. .......
David,

I believe the 'fender' is the wing. Best to avoid any attempt at the American automobile lexicon. Before you know it you'd be involved with 'trunks' (part of a elephant) or 'hoods' (dubious characters from Chicago or NY).

I also can't find any reference to headlamp adjustment procedure on the 4.0 litre models in JTIS.

The adjuster is the round black knob. I think the white/knob/rod is for the headlamp level rotary switch in the centre console.

Headlamp Adjustment-headlamp-level.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

This should be set to position '0' when aligning the headlamps.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
MsMaybe98 (05-29-2021)
Old 07-17-2015, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member

As with all things Jaguar, I think it's quite complicated - I'm still looking for information, but so far seems like ..........
Some cars, right from 1996/7, have a manually adjusted levelling mechanism - these are identified by a "bubble level" and a sort-off slotted adjustment bracket under the clear plastic cover on top of the light unit. There are two little white 7mm (??) plastic hexagon nuts like the one in my photograph to set horizontal and vertical position. Paul Pavlik has a post on roadfly.com with the detailed instructions -

headlight assembly adjustment

This seems to apply to US cars - can someone confirm or not whether there's a dash operated knob for headlight adjustment on these cars as in Graham's post - if there is, I can't see how it can work as there doesn't seem to be any electrical connection and I can't think it's mechanical.

On my car (1997) - maybe all UK cars ?? - there's an actuator motor on the back of the lamp unit with a separate three pin connector. Inside is an electric motor and quite a complicated printed circuit board (I just took one to bits !!)
I think you set the level (with headlights on) using the big black knob, and then when you switch off, the headlights automatically lower. The little knob on the dashboard gives "fine tuning" to this default setting depending on loading in the car.
The other knob (little white one) is, I suspect, for horizontal adjustment, but I need to verify that by trial and error.
My car has "retrofit" HID bulbs, but I have always assumed that the headlight unit is the original 1997 Jaguar installed kit.
Will keep looking.

The following 2 users liked this post by DevonDavid:
Johnken (07-17-2015), MsMaybe98 (05-29-2021)
Old 07-17-2015, 06:09 AM
GGG

........ I think you set the level (with headlights on) using the big black knob, and then when you switch off, the headlights automatically lower. ...... My car has "retrofit" HID bulbs, but I have always assumed that the headlight unit is the original 1997 Jaguar installed kit.
Will keep looking.
My 2001 XK8 was standard headlamps with the rotary level switch in the console. The headlamps did NOT lower when the ignition was switched off.

My 2005 XK8 had HID's with 'self levelling'. The beam would rise when the ignition was switched on and lower when it was switched off.

It sounds like you may have a PO hybrid.

Graham

Old 07-17-2015, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

Graham.
Confusing isn't it ??
What I can't work out is .............. on my 1997 wiring diagram, it shows a separate circuit, on a separate page, for "self levelling cars" which is the "centre console switch pack" (dashboard knob) and the actuator motor on each headlight unit. Nowhere in any of the other diagrams in the same 1997 wiring guide is there a schematic for a car without the actuator, but *with* the console switchpack.

Here's my guess - please contradict if you know different and maybe we can end up with a definitive answer - or maybe I need to get out more ....................... :-)

For legal or other reasons :

US cars (and other parts of the world) were fitted with "ordinary" halogen bulbs in "ordinary" metal reflectors for both main and dip beams. These are adjusted manually as in Paul's roadfly thread, and have no centre console adjustment knob.
There may have been an option to "upgrade" to ................

UK cars were *either* as above, *or* were fitted, on dipped beam, with "ordinary" halogen bulbs but with a "projector type" lens for better performance. Regulations dictated that these MUST have a self-levelling mechanism. They also have the centre console switch.

It is easy to retrofit HID bulbs to these types of reflector, but they are, at least in theory, illegal on mine because I do not have headlight washers which I believe are mandatory on HID headlights in the UK. Main beam (OEM) is "normal" halogen bulb as with US cars.

Photos show inside of actuator :

Headlamp Adjustment-headlamp-actuator-1.jpg

Headlamp Adjustment-headlamp-actuator-2.jpg

Last edited by DevonDavid; 07-17-2015 at 08:07 AM. Reason: typo
MsMaybe98 (05-29-2021)
Old 07-17-2015, 08:27 AM
GGG

David,

According to the Parts Catalogue, Canada/USA XK8 headlamps are different from RoW (Rest of World). I've posted only non powerwash here as that it your type:

1. Canada & USA

Headlamp Adjustment-xk8-headlamp-canada-usa.jpg

2. except Canada & USA

Headlamp Adjustment-xk8-headlamp-except-canada-usa.jpg

Within this category, Japan has yet another specification.

Although interesting, I don't think it's going to help resolve the mystery of your setup!

Graham

Old 07-17-2015, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Graham.

But it does .................. mine is exactly as in the second diagram except that a previous owner has changed 6 & 9 (the dipped bulb and holder) to a HID Xenon set up with external ballast etc. I guess because of different regulations in different countries, there are numerous (US, Canada, Japan, UK, Europe ?) different headlamps. US / Canada cars don't have the actuator and self-levelling "by default".

The only thing it doesn't explain is your 2001 car and maybe other years / models which would seem to have the console levelling knob, but no external actuator as in my photographs. Maybe there's a much smaller motor inside the light unit, but it doesn't show on any wiring diagram I can find.
Anyway, I think I know how to set mine now - for anyone in US / Canada - use Paul Pavliks post (link above) for full instructions on how it's done on your cars.

Cheers,
David.

The following 2 users liked this post by DevonDavid:
michaelh (05-29-2021), Mike76 (12-10-2015)
Old 05-28-2021, 07:55 AM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Talking Headlamp Leveling Actuator JLM12117 Internals

If anyone is interested how those actuators work and how their internal components may be repaired - attachment has circuit diagram, component lists and PCB component layout.

These actuators are only on European cars and I could not find part near me so I reverse engineered content to be able to fix electrics - (one circuit board connection was bad - in visible to eye).

Depending of position of leveling switch in center console CTRL input voltage to actuator varies between 8 and 11 Volts - and actuator changes postion accordingly.

Br, tlindi

Graham.
Confusing isn't it ??
What I can't work out is .............. on my 1997 wiring diagram, it shows a separate circuit, on a separate page, for "self levelling cars" which is the "centre console switch pack" (dashboard knob) and the actuator motor on each headlight unit. Nowhere in any of the other diagrams in the same 1997 wiring guide is there a schematic for a car without the actuator, but *with* the console switchpack.

Here's my guess - please contradict if you know different and maybe we can end up with a definitive answer - or maybe I need to get out more ....................... :-)

For legal or other reasons :

US cars (and other parts of the world) were fitted with "ordinary" halogen bulbs in "ordinary" metal reflectors for both main and dip beams. These are adjusted manually as in Paul's roadfly thread, and have no centre console adjustment knob.
There may have been an option to "upgrade" to ................

UK cars were *either* as above, *or* were fitted, on dipped beam, with "ordinary" halogen bulbs but with a "projector type" lens for better performance. Regulations dictated that these MUST have a self-levelling mechanism. They also have the centre console switch.

It is easy to retrofit HID bulbs to these types of reflector, but they are, at least in theory, illegal on mine because I do not have headlight washers which I believe are mandatory on HID headlights in the UK. Main beam (OEM) is "normal" halogen bulb as with US cars.

Photos show inside of actuator :

Attachment 115722

Attachment 115723

Attached Files

Last edited by tlindi; 05-28-2021 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Revised attachment updated - yet again
MsMaybe98 (05-29-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 748 Likes on 510 Posts

Park vehicle 25 ft from a wall or garage door . Cover one headlight ... The beam kink in the pattern should be 4 inches down and aligned with the centre of the lamp unit. Only HID units require self-levelling in the UK .. I have had HID fitted for years and never been stopped

Old 05-01-2023, 01:05 PM
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Headligh assembly adjustment instructions link seems to be broken. (DevonDavid post #6)
If so, please post link to new location.
- Thanks.

Last edited by tomfurie; 05-01-2023 at 01:08 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-01-2023, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Headlamp adjustment

Park on level surface. Check with level on open door door sill.

Pull the plastic access panel off (hood open to service position look for panels above headlight area). This is the panel you would pull to replace high beam bulb.

See tiny bubble level inside on headlight housing.

Turn white plastic adjustment pieces to get bubble in level centered. As I recall a tiny ratchet makes this easy.

John

Old 05-02-2023, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 748 Likes on 510 Posts

Cannot find bubble and ratchet on my 97.....the adjust is a knob on the back of the electric motor for the dash up down controller
For UK its beam kink 4 in down at 25 ft but US cars have a squarer lift to the beam

Old 04-11-2024, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Headlight Levelling fuse...

Hope I'm on the right thread here, but looking for some help if possible! My 2002 XK8 failed its MOT yesterday on 2 counts. Firstly the rear fog lamp 'tell tale' doesn't light up when the fog lights are on. Is that a simple (?) switch/bulb replacement?

Secondly the headlight levelling didn't work on either headlight. When I got home, I checked the fuses and the Headlight Levelling Fuse (F3) was blown. I replaced it and started the engine. Pretty much immediately I was aware of some smoke coming from under the bonnet coupled with a pretty unpleasant 'burning' smell. I turned the engine off and opened the bonnet. I couldn't discern where the smoke and smell came from but the fuse had blown again! I'm pretty sure that I've never adjusted the headlight levelling switch but either way, I'm a little scuppered in terms of getting a new MOT before I get this sorted. I've watched a few YouTube videos of people accessing the headlights etc. and it looks a pretty onerous process, but before I do anything, has anyone got any ideas as to what might be happening here? It passed the MOT with no problem last year and as I said, I've never adjusted the switch! What could be casing the burning smell and the smoke? Any assistance is appreciated!