XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Headlight Bulb Layout

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 12:55 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Headlight Bulb Layout

I am reluctant to ask but can anyone point me to a diagram which identifies the name each bulb in the headlight cluster for a 1998 XK8?

Old 10-18-2019, 01:05 PM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

the handbooks are available for download at the below link

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/

Old 10-18-2019, 03:28 PM

I have manuals but I am somewhat confused as to the main light, dip light etc. I am trying to install the Kensun Xenon conversion kit and it is not working.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Kent,

Dipped beam = low beam = bulb almost straight in front of the oval access hole in the wheel well. This bulb is covered by the hard plastic palm sized bowl shaped cover.

Below that bulb and slightly forward is the fog lamp.

Main beam = high beam = accessible from under the clear plastic cover in the engine compartment.

Driving lights = parking lights = yellow bulb also under clear plastic cover for access.

Our friends across the pond will, I'm sure, correct me if I've got the King's English description wrong.(it always confused me too)

John

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
Orthodixie (10-19-2019), XK8 Comfort (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 12:02 PM

John, checked the "Dip Fuse" for the right side and it was indeed burned out. I left the installation in the original configuration last night and when I installed the new fuse the dip light functioned. One thing that is strange is the lens on my right side (the one I have worked on) is much darker that the left side. The top quarter of the lens appears to be okay but the bottom portion of the lens is much darker. I imagine that when I install the new kits the right will still be darker that the left. I will have to research to see if the internal lens can be replaced.

So, I benched tested both ballasts and bulb assemblies to be sure and one of the bulbs gave a slight glow and had a buzzing noise. I have sent an email to Kensun and requested a replacement bulb and harness. Hopefully they will come through.

Thanks again for all you help. I means a lot to folks like me.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Kent, from Comfort,
I have never heard of Kensun Lights....Where did you order them from? eBay?
Why don't you send a photo of both Lens so that we can see what you are talking about....In other words , why is it Darker than the other......Just checking Kent, does the 1998 Headlights have a HID Dip beam and a Halogen High Beam? and what are you trying to do with your lighting system?

And Kent, what does a 1942 Ford GPW ??? look like? I remember my Dad's 41 2Dr Sedan (Baby Blue)

Billy Clyde in Houston

Last edited by bcprice36; 10-19-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:36 PM

I ordered the HID kit from Kensun directly. Sorry I do not have any picture at the moment but the internal lens one of my dip lights is relatively clear where the other is pretty foggy. I am hoping that this will not be an issue when I install the HID's.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:37 PM
Default Headlight bulb layout

I ordered the HID kit from Kensun directly. Sorry I do not have any picture at the moment but the internal lens one of my dip lights is relatively clear where the other is pretty foggy. I am hoping that this will not be an issue when I install the HID's.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Kent,

I think you are talking about the Projector Lens on your HID Lower Beams...The ones on the outside, If so, I think you will have to remove the entire Light to get to the Projector Lens ....Either water has gotten into it or the HID Bulb has blown up inside it........Someone here on the Forum will probably chime in soon with the answers you need....But it would help if you would take a couple Photos with your Phone so we could see exactly what your problem is!

I still want to know what a 41 Ford GPW is?

Billy Clyde

Old 10-19-2019, 01:38 PM

Thanks Billy. I will investigate the projector lens.

My hobby is restoring WW2 vehicles and trailers. The 1942 GPW is a military jeep. There were three companies who provided jeeps to the military. The first is Bantam who actually submitted the design that was ultimately chosen. They produced around 50-60K units but did not have the capacity to meet the overall requirement of 720K units. The second was ****** and called the MB and they produced approximately 380K units. Third was Ford and called the GPW and approximately 280K were produced. With few exceptions, all the parts were interchangeable.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Kent,

That's what I was thinking....either a Jeep or a Truck.....Ford also had their Finger in our X=100's and some of those parts or interchangeable....Incidentally, as you probably already know, Ford owned Jaguar while our X-100's were being designed and built....

If you decide to buy new Headlights, Genuine, the Company that made our Headlights is now selling them through "CARid" on the internet for around $400.00 each......I think Jaguar is still asking $600.00 or $700.00.each.

You'll get it worked out...no doubt about it......

Billy Clyde

Old 10-19-2019, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Kent, congratulations on the great progress! Here's an interesting fact:

Remember how I told you to secure the wheel liner access panel securely? I lost mine in the past, yet to replace it. Unfortunately it looks like lack of the panel let's too much water in, my Kensun ballast died. It was out of warranty, so I had a decision to make: what to replace it with?

I drove with the original bulb for the last couple of months (how did I ever live. With that ineffective bulb?). Over the last week I read Sklimi's (spelling?)endorsement of a specific LED replacement. Given the price, I couldn't resist ($17 for pair).

Put one in to replace the original bulb I mentioned above. FYI, installation was just about as hard for me as the Kensun HID. Sklimi I think said he did it with the liner in place. If I remember correctly -- he should get a trophy or something:-).

Anyway a comparison. I now have HID on right, LED on left. Turn on: Led = full output instantly. HID warms up to full output for 5 or 10 seconds. Color: chose blue white for HID, LED is pure white as manufactured. Brightness/reach: about as equal as it gets between the two. Though LED is slightly superior in that it casts a good amount of white light off to the side of the car. We live in deer territory here in NJ, this will certainly help.

Fun fact about both bulbs as it turns out. I was parked in front of a store's plate glass window in the dark. I had fog lights with their HID bulbs on too. Just for fun I flicked the headlight stalk back and forth. Interesting effect - the instant on/instant off action of either of these bulb types versus incandescent bulbs creates a markedly different effect. Now, umm, I'm not saying I'm ever trying to look like an emergency vehicle by doing this, but folks do move over a bit faster...:-)

FWIW, I mentioned the fog lights above. Putting HID lights in there was a waste of time. Couldn't see any big improvement. Kent, after you see what a difference your new HID bulb makes, I figure you'll be ready to upgrade everything just like I was. Figured I'd warn you now mate.

We look forward to your feedback when you get set up.

John

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (10-19-2019)
Old 08-12-2021, 12:00 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I just ran across this, forgive me if this isn't proper etiquette for old posts, I'm a newbie at forums. But from reading this, am I to understand that there is an LED conversion for these fairly useless HID low beams? I have an '04 XKR and I would love to dump these HID's for LED.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Flyaway,

Yes there sure is. We were discussing HID low beam upgrades above. But LEDS are much easier to install.

Just reread your question, something is wrong. IME good HID should give you everybit of illumination that an LED will. But if your heading for LED, I'm sure you can find one you like.

My 98 came with incandescent bulbs. I bet someone with your years config can give you a better recommendation. Since I ran across 1 brand of LED that was worse than useless, I'll look that up and post it for you to avoid. Edit: no longer sold.

Hey this is buried in another topic. You really should start a new thread "LED Headlights - recommendations for 2004 xkr?"

John

Last edited by Johnken; 08-12-2021 at 12:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
DavidYau (08-12-2021), flymyway (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by flymyway
I just ran across this, forgive me if this isn't proper etiquette for old posts, I'm a newbie at forums. But from reading this, am I to understand that there is an LED conversion for these fairly useless HID low beams? I have an '04 XKR and I would love to dump these HID's for LED.

If you want to get deep into modifying your headlights, check out this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...jector-240281/

Old 08-12-2021, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 1,000 Posts

”…….I have an '04 XKR and I would love to dump these HID's for LED.

I bought Hakari Ultra LED’s thru Amazon. Very simple installation and tremendous improvement in light brilliance and quality. Hakari has cheaper lines than the Ultra, but they are 20% less
bright

these are replacement for the Halogen bulbs, don’t know if applicable for the HID’s.

low beam, replaces the H1 bulb:

HIKARI Ultra H1 LED Bulbs, Prime ZES LED, 12000lm, High Lumens LED Conversion Kit, Halogen bulbs Replacement, Canbus Ready, 6000K Cool White, Foglight
Amazon Amazon

high beam, replaces the H3b /9005 bulb

HIKARI Ultra 9005 LED Bulbs, Prime ZES LED, 12000lm, High Lumens LED Conversion Kit, HB3 Halogen bulbs Replacement, Canbus Ready, 6000K Cool White, 9145 9045 Foglight
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by zray; 08-12-2021 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:56 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Thx for the quick replies guys. Yes, one thing I found with LEDs is that they're not all created equal, the price varies widely and you get what you pay for. I put the Hikari's in my truck years ago, they weren't the cheapest by any means and they've worked out well too, they make a good LED bulb. As for my Jag, when I got it 4 years ago the R side light flickered a lot. Got fed up with it decided to try new bulbs (had heard old HID bulbs do that). So I bought a set of Osram (you know nothing but the best for our Jags!) which were well over $100 and it was an improvement, but still nothing great. And as luck would have it, after a few months the L side started flickering! So I switched the bulbs and sure enough, the problem followed - now I have flickering on the R side again! I put LED's in for the hi-beams and they work great, make all the difference, at least when there's no oncoming traffic. But the HID's, when the one isn't flickering, still give me a dismal, brownish light pattern that, at best, reminds me of the old incandescent bulbs of the 70's. I worry more about hitting deer with this car than I do on my bikes! If there's a HID to LED conversion I'd be interested, otherwise, maybe I need yet another set of HID bulbs already! Do you guys have any suggestions for a decent HID bulb that actually works and doesn't run $70 each??

Old 08-13-2021, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 770 Posts

Thx for the quick replies guys. Yes, one thing I found with LEDs is that they're not all created equal, the price varies widely and you get what you pay for. I put the Hikari's in my truck years ago, they weren't the cheapest by any means and they've worked out well too, they make a good LED bulb. As for my Jag, when I got it 4 years ago the R side light flickered a lot. Got fed up with it decided to try new bulbs (had heard old HID bulbs do that). So I bought a set of Osram (you know nothing but the best for our Jags!) which were well over $100 and it was an improvement, but still nothing great. And as luck would have it, after a few months the L side started flickering! So I switched the bulbs and sure enough, the problem followed - now I have flickering on the R side again! I put LED's in for the hi-beams and they work great, make all the difference, at least when there's no oncoming traffic. But the HID's, when the one isn't flickering, still give me a dismal, brownish light pattern that, at best, reminds me of the old incandescent bulbs of the 70's. I worry more about hitting deer with this car than I do on my bikes! If there's a HID to LED conversion I'd be interested, otherwise, maybe I need yet another set of HID bulbs already! Do you guys have any suggestions for a decent HID bulb that actually works and doesn't run $70 each??
Your problem with the HIDs sounds like a combination of a burned projector bowl and a failing ballast.