XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Lens - What holds it on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 04:41 PM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Headlight Lens - What holds it on?

I just noticed the drivers side headlight lenses looked crooked. As soon as I touched it the lens came off in my hand. Looks like a PO had put a couple of dabs of RTV on it before and it let loose. I'm glad it didn't fall off while driving it earlier. This cars PITA factor is going through the roof.

What is supposed to hold it on? Its just sitting there on a groove. There is a vinyl black trim bead that runs around the outside edge but it seems its just cosmetic.

Dave

Old 10-20-2015, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Hi Dave,
Sometimes it seems like a never-ending climb...

AFAIK it's bonded to the reflector with some type of sticky gasket which comes with the lens: not available separately. I would be tempted to pop out the lamp assembly and re-attach using silicone sealant.

Had a good result using this technique on my son's Mk2 Golf. After 25 years aging the main beam lenses had come loose from the reflectors, but there was no apparent water ingress as the chrome was intact.

Clean the mating surfaces with methylated spirit and run a bead of clear sealant around.

Have read that others have done similar, together with stern warnings NOT to touch the reflective coating.

Take some solace from the fact that at least it's glass and not the yellowing plastic cr*p fitted to many newer cars

HTH,
Mike

Old 10-20-2015, 09:42 PM

Guess I'll clean it up and silicon the thing back on tomorrow. I had read a post a while back about not messing with the silvering on the reflector so I left it alone.
The have to figure out its new P0441 error. This car is begging to be set on fire and pushed over a cliff.

Dave

Old 10-21-2015, 07:02 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts
Talking Study this forum

Dave, study this forum every chance you get. When I bought my 99 XK8 three years ago, what I read on here scared the crap out of me. However, by studying this forum I'm confident that I can fix virtually anything on my car because now I know what to do when something happens, which is rare for my car. That's short of the transmission...that would eventually go to the pro's if required.

Keep reading my friend...keep reading....

Old 10-21-2015, 03:33 PM

I just cleaned the headlight lens and the groove it sits in with isopropyl alcohol and used clear Permatex clear silicon. I will check it in the morning and see if it seems to be holding well. If not I will clean it again and use a stronger glue such as 2 part epoxy for glass and plastic. O was very careful not to touch the silvering on the reflector. No signs of water ever getting it at least.
It looks like the original gasket was simply made of double face tape. I wonder why they thought that would hold. Oh I know, they wanted it to last past warranty and then sell lots of expensive lenses.

Dave