Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight washer

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag Pilot
Shall we assume from step #7 on page 2 of the referenced pdf that the entire headlight housing assembly can be withdrawn rearward into the open fender area? I have wanted to remove mine to clean up the interior of the lens and housing.
The headlamp shell lifts off the fender from the front.

The following users liked this post:
Jag Pilot (02-02-2012)
Old 05-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Guys,

Time to resurrect an old thread.

So I lost the passenger side chrome cover. I ordered the new piece, but it doesn't attach to the washer arm. It appears the socket on the washer arm has an upper and lower semi circle that the cover clips to. But the lower half of mine is missing.

So I am trying to decide between replacing the washer assembly, or just disconnect the washer assembly and glue the cover in place.

Is there a simple wire harness that is easily accessible to disconnect the washer pump ?

Thanks,

Dave B

Old 05-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

There 2 pumps on the washer tank, it is the one closest to the fender a few inches up from the bottom,the other is bigger and to the back, just disconnect the plug...... I do it all the time

Old 09-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

To further resurrect an old thread, I lost one shiny powerwash covers (driver's side LHD) and ordered a replacement. I manually pulled out the nozzle and the end fits into the socket on the little cover but then when the nozzle moves back in the cover pops off. Everything looks as it should but I am wondering if the nozzle is moving back in too far.

Any way to adjust this?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 09-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

No way to adjust unfortunately, if the nozzle retracts and the cover comes off again means the washer is worn as the cover is just a press on fit

Old 09-11-2014, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Well it looks like I need to order a powerwash assembly since not only did the plastic at the front of the nozzle disintegrate but in my fiddling around the powerwash unit became disconnected from the headlight and is now just dangling there. I notice that the front plastic piece with the nozzle can disconnect from the powerwash assembly but I doubt whether that piece can be bought separately. I guess the real pain the the **** will be removing the headlight to replace the powerwash. What a rube goldberg piece of work this is.

Doug

Old 09-24-2015, 09:34 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Red face Headlamp washers

Hi all, I was wondering....... I just bought a 2004 xj8 are all these issues as above,? if so where is the dam fuse? thanks to all who answer. the posts on here are better than any advice I get from a Jaguar techie

Old 09-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by GGG
Shame they didn't concentrate on solving the moisture inside the headlamps before working on squirting more on the outside. Drilling a hole in the side as a TSB smacks of desparation and still doesn't cure it.

Graham

The headlights mist up with moisture because the seal between the lens assembly and the light assembly is tightly compressed over time. I had to change my passenger side headlight and it of course came with a new seal, which being uncompressed for 16 years, sealed tightly and there's no moisture. Pain to change, but the problem is solved with new seals.

See my post about headlight replacement and you'll see the pain in the a...er..uh...joy of the project

Old 11-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default what brand of eyeliner

Originally Posted by simonnallen
Ok thanks I made one from the top of a make-up eye liner pen. Dont think the gf will notice its missing LOL
I am in need of a nozzle fix

Old 11-28-2015, 09:14 PM
Default headlight washer

Ok, looks like my driver side inboard nozzel is missing from the assembly. sprays like a garden hose, I found a cheap used passenger side assembly and have ordered it. I am assuming the jets must be the same, I plan to remove the nozzel from the unit and try to install it. Anybody know how they are attached to the assembly? Are they snap in, threaded,glued?

Old 11-30-2015, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,809 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Convertible Owners: You know in the interest of the saftey of you and your loved ones I'm going to share a pretty bad memory about this very topic.

My nozzle is gone too, like many of you said this shoots onto the hood. BE CAREFUL though. It has the ability to shoot over the windshield into your or your passenger's face (ESPECIALLY at Low Speeds). This happened to me, it caused some pretty nasty visits to the eye doctor for someone.

Frankly I wouldn't have thought a drop or two of this stuff in your eye was a big deal, let alone damaging. Unfortunately that is really wrong: It can, I've seen it, and you never want to be in that position.

Respect the risk on this one - it can cause real trouble if it gets in someone's eyes. You know what? Keep a bottle of water handy for emergencies if you have a broken nozzle.

Really bad memory - hope it helps someone someday. Please take this one seriously.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dennysjag
Ok, looks like my driver side inboard nozzel is missing from the assembly. sprays like a garden hose, I found a cheap used passenger side assembly and have ordered it. I am assuming the jets must be the same, I plan to remove the nozzel from the unit and try to install it. Anybody know how they are attached to the assembly? Are they snap in, threaded,glued?
The overall jet piece is the same but I am not certain about the shiny glass cover. In any case replacing the jet is a pita since you have to at least partially remove the headlight. I had a local Jaguar shop do this which made me happy that I did not try it myself. It took the experienced guy quite some time and he was contorted in all sorts of positions to get the headlight in and out. I also had a post somewhere that included some pictures of the pieces that make up that overall nozzle assembly. The culprit is the plastic piece that installs on the front of the assembly and also holds the little shiny cover. The logical thing would be to just replace that piece rather than needing to buy the complete assembly but this is not available.

Doug

Old 12-01-2015, 05:53 PM

the apparatus is stiill there and extends when commanded. One of the little nozzels that fit in the end of the washer assembly that converts the stream to jet the fluid toward the headlamp is missing. The glass cover has already been replaced. I ordered an assembly for the passenger side { used,Cheap} and will attempt to remove just that piece and use it. I will post results when I have completed the attempt. It is not a thing that is required, it's just that I would like every option to work as close to design as I can achieve. Thanks for the reply

Old 12-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Agreed, what a waste of engineering. I just went to the pump for the headlight washer and disconnected the plug at the base of the reservoir , problem solved.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:35 PM

i was lucky enough to find a used right hand assembly for 20 bucks on amazon, Unclipped the nozzel head and clipped it on the driver side unit, If you decide to do the operation folow the instructions to a tee, Slacken means loosen don't remove, I had a heck of a time getting the lower bolt bac in untill i realized that it had to be in place before you put the headlight assembly back in. Only took 20 minutes the second time, First time I beat my knuckles for way over an hour.