XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Headlights, Auto Function

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 10:07 PM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Bob, Thank you for the information. ;-) Dealer says this is the C2P1823 mirror.
Looking at the picture I posted, there is a large round sensor that I took to be the rain sensor.
There is something that looks like a knob in the picture but as I looked at it again, I wasn't able to see it.
The little lens/sensor thing on the windshield side of the mirror case, driver's side (North American Cars) is the Auto Headlight Function sensor, correct? However, I could find NO sensitivity control anywhere on the body of the mirror.
Finally, what is the little circuit board in the picture and does it need to be repositioned? Does it need to be straightened and attached or a lens cover or something? If it's loose could it be shorting out the system and causing my problem?

Quote from Bob below
The Auto Headlamp sensor is on the mirror frame facing the windscreen. (along with the sensitivity knob)
The Electrochromatic Auto Dim sensor is on the left lower part of the frame under the mirror itself aiming into the cabin toward the rear windscreen.
The right lower part of the frame under the reflection part is the AUTO ON LED.
The bottom of the frame has the button to turn the AUTO DIM ON/OFF.
The climate control SOLAR LOAD SENSOR is located on top of the dash.

bob

Old 11-25-2017, 08:32 AM
Received 8,121 Likes on 4,902 Posts

The cars changed slightly in 2003 so the sensitivity knob might have been eliminated.

The 'twilight-sentinel' sensor for the headlights works in conjunction with the electrochromatic mirror.

You need to have DARK on the windscreen side and bright light on the cabin side (like headlights shining into the rear window) for the mirror to DIM.

The little circuit board is probably for the COMPASS to calibrate and set the ZONE?

bob

The following users liked this post:
ThomasL (11-25-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Question Tom the Mirror Man!

Tom,

I looked at my Mirror and on the Cabin-side's bottom rim, there's a button that says COMP and another that says MIRROR and each have a small opening beside it and on the Windshield-side, on the Driver's side there is an small oblong opening.....I do not have anything in the opening where I see the little circuit-board hanging down. My XKR, although it is a 2005, shows to have been built 2/2004, which means it's an early 2005....I think you said yours was built later, so you may have some new stuff that mine doesn't. (I have no knobs or anything else on the Mirror) although where the assembly attaches to the Windshield looks the same as yours.....So, the mystery continues! Except, the little circuit-board hanging down is not right...somethings up there!

My Lights do not Dim automatically, so I guess my mirror only turns my Lights on & off when needed! Looks like Jaguar made a lot of changes as the years progressed.....Maybe Bob has some Jaguar literature that he might pass-on concerning this subject!

Hopefully,

Billy Clyde in Houston

ThomasL (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 02:37 PM
Received 8,121 Likes on 4,902 Posts

Here is a .pdf from the Jaguar Service Training guide T2003XK, Page 22.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2003XKmirror.pdf (738.5 KB, 125 views)
Old 11-26-2017, 04:29 PM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Billy, I may have muddied the waters with my description of my interior mirror. Rain sensing and compass functions are clear, I'm sure. When I referred to the dimming feature, I was referring to the mirror's function to dim with bright lights from the REAR. This mirror doesn't dim or dip the headlights. I was trying to refer to the "Auto" function on the stalk that turns the headlights on or off depending on the amount of daylight which is sensed through the windshield to the sensor on the mirror body itself, which faces front. Bob's mirror info above, is helpful to see. Tom :-)

Old 11-26-2017, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Lightbulb Early 2005 Coupe!

Bob & Tom,

Thanks for the pdf you sent us Bob!......It describes the Mirror I have on my 2005 Coupe, although the FordEtis says "Less compass display"! I guess someone changed out the Mirror....? But it doesn't have the Light sensor "Target" like Tom's Photo...Mine is just solid black with the "Rain Sensor" thing at the bottom.

Anyway Tom, I hope you get it all sorted out because it appears you have the automatic dimmers that I don't have.....which is good in some ways....

Good Luck!

Billy Clyde in Houston

ThomasL (11-26-2017)
Old 08-03-2023, 12:55 PM
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 6 years later…

Originally Posted by ThomasL
Mirror base looking through windshield. Dark rectangle is reflection of iPhone.The dealer drapes a dark, thick rag over it to test. Streetlights and headlights never have affected Auto lights on any other car I have had, so I am sure that they are not supposed to on this car either. Maybe they didn't affect them, maybe it was a coincidence that they went out the first time. When I start the car in the garage or carport, the lights do come on, even in the daytime and then go off when I get into the daylight. The concern I have with it all is that I don't want them to go off at night especially when I am driving in town. Even with street lights, a car with its lights off is very hard to see.
The picture was taken through the windshield toward the mirror base and shows the rain sensor and a strange white crooked "circuit board?". The Jaguar man said that this mirror was only used on the '05 & '06 XK8 R. He didn't remember what it should look like and was going to check the next '05 he sees. It has rain sensing, auto dim and compass. Does anyone that has a '05 or '06, have anything showing similar to what shows in mine? It looks to me as though there should be a cover/lens over it or at least the circuit board should be mounted straight. Tom :-)
Did you ever fix your auto headlights? And did you ever figure out your crooked circuit board?!? Definitely something wrong there. I have a 2006 so have the same mirror. My pics don’t have a circuit board showing!

Facing the windscreen from the front

Facing the bracket from above (upside down from the prior). No dangling circuit board here.

Old 08-11-2023, 02:45 PM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I had intermittent issues with my headlights in the Auto position and finally quit working in Auto mode.
I had a soldered connection on the turn signal / headlight stalk that eventually failed completely.
I resoldered the wire a few years ago and no further issues. I leave the steering wheel in a fixed position now and don't let it move forward when car is shut off.
Suspect the repetitive movement may have contributed to the failure.

pwalsh691 (08-12-2023)