XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Pump Removal - "How To"

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 12:15 PM
Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

I've got the same heater pump problem. Thought I would share a couple of my diagnostic approaches . All of them can be done with the engine off, cool, in a quiet environment.

1) You can unplug the Motor connector ( Black) at the firewall, and do a continuity check at the plug. It should show continuity if the brushes are intact. Mine Didn't.
2) You can apply voltage and ground directly to the connector. Make sure +Voltage is applied to the Yellow wire on the connector, ground to the black connector. You should be able to hear the motor running. Mine Didn't.
3) You can also apply 12V directly to the 10 amp fuse for the motor. A simple wire jumper from the "hot" post beside the fusebox to one of the two small metal posts at the top of the fuse will apply power. It doesn't matter what side of the fuse you apply the power to , if the fuse is good. Fuse is marked #15 in the engine bay Fuse panel, Left side of engine bay.
4) You can pull the Heater Pump relay, and insert a jumper between the 30 and 87 holes. This supplies power to the 10 amp fuse, and thus to the motor. Again, should hear the motor running. Relay is at the top of the "T" of relays in the fuse panel box, and is the relay closest to the windshield.

I could not find the brushes referenced on the site, so I did some research and found some that were cross referenced. Bought them on Ebay for $6. Should be here this weekend, and then the fun will begin. I will need to sand down the brushes to make them fit. ON Ebay, "New Alternator Brush Kit For K1 *Bosch* 9124080140 - 38-9100" , https://www.ebay.com/itm/113824830739

The following 3 users liked this post by darbysan:
Don B (11-11-2019), fmertz (10-30-2019), JimmyL (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 12:30 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Remember you can sand the brushes down to fit as mentioned in my write up.

Originally Posted by darbysan
I've got the same heater pump problem. Thought I would share a couple of my diagnostic approaches . All of them can be done with the engine off, cool, in a quiet environment.

1) You can unplug the Motor connector ( Black) at the firewall, and do a continuity check at the plug. It should show continuity if the brushes are intact. Mine Didn't.
2) You can apply voltage and ground directly to the connector. Make sure +Voltage is applied to the Yellow wire on the connector, ground to the black connector. You should be able to hear the motor running. Mine Didn't.
3) You can also apply 12V directly to the 10 amp fuse for the motor. A simple wire jumper from the "hot" post beside the fusebox to one of the two small metal posts at the top of the fuse will apply power. It doesn't matter what side of the fuse you apply the power to , if the fuse is good. Fuse is marked #15 in the engine bay Fuse panel, Left side of engine bay.
4) You can pull the Heater Pump relay, and insert a jumper between the 30 and 87 holes. This supplies power to the 10 amp fuse, and thus to the motor. Again, should hear the motor running. Relay is at the top of the "T" of relays in the fuse panel box, and is the relay closest to the windshield.

I could not find the brushes referenced on the site, so I did some research and found some that were cross referenced. Bought them on Ebay for $6. Should be here this weekend, and then the fun will begin. I will need to sand down the brushes to make them fit. ON Ebay, "New Alternator Brush Kit For K1 *Bosch* 9124080140 - 38-9100" , https://www.ebay.com/itm/113824830739

Old 10-30-2019, 01:35 PM
Received 694 Likes on 345 Posts

All great suggestions. I started with the fuse and it's good. Too dang cold and wet to play with the rest.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
Remember you can sand the brushes down to fit as mentioned in my write up.
Hi Gus! Thanks a ton for all this info. I'd previously done all the trouble shooting you'd mentioned. Yup - my motor's dead. I've got a used one in stock, but if only the brushes are shot in my original (and the bearings & vanes are still good of course), putting in those new brushes would be preferable. Does the eBay "Kit" come with one or two brushes? The ad doesn't say. How much did you need to sand off, and are the brushes stout enough to survive a dremel sanding until almost the right length? That would definitely shorten sanding time.

I'm just cringing at this job. I truly hate going back in there. (sigh, .... but there's work to be done) :-)

Thanks again

Old 11-11-2019, 06:12 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I know nothing about the E-Bay kit that you are talking about but if it is a rebuild kit for the pump motor for that pump it will probably fit. Brushes come in various sizes and can be sized to fit your application simply by placing a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface and moving the brush back and forth on it to size remember they are made of carbon. Just remember you can always remove more but you cannot put it back on. If it were me I would measure the old brushes and see if you can find that size brushes on Google.

Originally Posted by scardini1
Hi Gus! Thanks a ton for all this info. I'd previously done all the trouble shooting you'd mentioned. Yup - my motor's dead. I've got a used one in stock, but if only the brushes are shot in my original (and the bearings & vanes are still good of course), putting in those new brushes would be preferable. Does the eBay "Kit" come with one or two brushes? The ad doesn't say. How much did you need to sand off, and are the brushes stout enough to survive a dremel sanding until almost the right length? That would definitely shorten sanding time.

I'm just cringing at this job. I truly hate going back in there. (sigh, .... but there's work to be done) :-)

Thanks again

Old 11-11-2019, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Oops. It was Darbysan that found the kit and posted the link. I hit "quote" in the wrong post. Hope you're doing great anyway! :-)

Old 11-20-2019, 02:41 PM
Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

Much Thanks to all those that came before me, and made this a doable task. Couldn't have done it without the inputs from this forum! Kudos!!!

Final Wrap-up on my repair. Got the pump out, took it apart. The brushes were just about worn out. One side had worn enough that the wire attached to it had worn through, causing the Open circuit. Everything was repaired per this thread, and went back together. Easier going back in than coming out. Had a couple of small coolant leaks after install, but changing a couple of the spring heater hose clamps for worm clamps took care of the issues.

Additional things I learned.
1) No need to drain all of the coolant. Just suck out the coolant in the expansion tank ( Turkey Baster), There will be a little spill from the heater core ( especially if you also decide to flush it). Total loss for me was less than 1/2 gallon. For a little more working room, remove the Expansion Tank bracket ( top bolt out, bottom bolt just needs to be loose). If you have access to the bottom of the vehicle, the two lower bolts on the Valve Bracket can be reached from underneath with a long extension, universal joint and 10MM socket.
2) Don't even think about attempting this without a good assortment of hose clamp tools. I bought the full kit from Amazon, 6 pliers plus the long reach clamp tool, plus a three piece assortment of Hose pulling pliers. Still struggled a bit. Don't scrimp on the tools- you'll use them again in the future!
3) If you don't want a delay, think about ordering a couple of additional parts in advance. 1) Throttle Body gasket. I found prices from $7 to $32. Ordering early can save you money. PN NCA3021BA for my '97.
4) Order some rubber isolation mounts. Total used are 4, if they are all bad. On mine, 2 were bad. They are 6mm x 1.0 male thread both sides, 15-20 mm long , with a 15MM long rubber body. I bought a 4 pack on Ebay ( look up Rubber Isolation Mounts M6 MM 20x15mm). There is also a Jag PN that will work, EAC6805. I found these also on ebay in a 2-pack- just a little more expensive than the 4 pack I bought, but in retrospect probably a better part and worth the extra money. If they are broken in the firewall, a deep 15MM socket can remove the broken piece. These parts will also fix that problem part that the air box / air filter box attaches to on the right side fenderwell.
5) The brush kit I ordered worked ( PN 14-80140). I attached a piece of 220 grit wet / dry sandpaper to a hand held sanding block. I held the block with my left hand, and moved the brush up/down on the paper, measuring with a pair of digital calipers to get the proper size. 4.4 mm high x 4.4 mm wide x 9.2 mm long worked. Took about 20 minutes of hand sanding and measuring to get them where I wanted. Messy- be careful! Scribe marks on the brush helped me sneak up on the finished dimension.

To get them installed, I bent out the back edge of the brush holder, allowing the spring to come out ( be careful!). I also had to loosen the bolt holding the end of the armature. You don't have to fully remove the armature, just get it loose enough so it will move a little side to side. I noted where the brushes had been riding on the armature before releasing this nut, but it came back to the same spot without issue. I needed this extra room to be able to insert the brushes into the holders, backing them in, so that the lead would exit through the slot in the top. No way to insert from the rear. Once both installed, and the nut back on the armature, re-install the brush springs and bend down the end tab. Be careful that the spring doesn't get away from you!!! You can then proceed to solder the leads, and re-assemble everything. Once re-assembled, I decided to test it. Without water, it was noisy, and I was concerned. I then stuck the inlet hose into some water, primed the pump ( Suck on the outlet hose), and then tested again. Worked quietly!! I also applied 12V to the valve. You can see the valve operate through the coolant hose openings. Just a good test to make sure the solenoid is still working, and the valve moves freely.

6) Once everything was back in the car, and I had refilled the drained coolant, I decided I would like to try and prime the heater core a little. Wasn't sure If I could, but I applied 12 V directly to the top of the Heater Pump Fuse ( Jumper wire to the Stud at the side of the Fuse Box), and the pump started running, and the coolant immediately drained out of the expansion tank. Don't let it run too long- mine ran dry and got noisy, like on my initial test. It did seem to help some, though, as I had heat as soon as the car started to come up to temp.

The following 3 users liked this post by darbysan:
Don B (11-20-2019), JimmyL (10-11-2020), scardini1 (12-05-2019)
Old 05-02-2020, 07:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi All,

I've had this problem and actually put an additional replacement pump 'in line'. The design of the pump is such that it offers no resistance to flow so the defective one can be left in situ. Whilst not elegant it is a quick and effective solution as I really didn't want to be spending hours under the bonnet last winter. I'll post a couple of pictures in due course in case anyone else is interested in this admittedly lazy solution.

However that was last winter and now I've lots of time on my hands in this better weather so if for no other reason than to keep busy I'll be following the procedure above.

What I really wanted to contribute however is how to overcome the problem EVERYONE has in taking off coolant pipes that have been attached for decades. I was surprised to learn there is a special tool that mechanics in the know use and it's described on youtube here:
It's specifically used to break the seal between the rigid and flexible pipe (the tools previously mentioned merely give a little extra purchase). I made up such a tool and trust me it does in seconds what I struggled with for I don't know how long before giving up.

The following 3 users liked this post by sidney84:
DavidYau (05-02-2020), Don B (05-02-2020), JimmyL (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 09:46 AM
Received 12,932 Likes on 6,463 Posts

Hello sidney84,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

I have been using hose picks like the ones in your photos for several years and they are most definitely a helpful and inexpensive addition to one's toolbox. I believe mine are branded Astro Pneumatic.

Please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 10-10-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:29 PM
Received 141 Likes on 79 Posts

Mine is intermittently making a loud noise, is this an indication of a future failure. This is a big enough job that I can live with the noise for now.

I just purchased a used pump off ebay for $42. If I can fix it and have it around for if I ever do the repair it may save some time, then I can fix the one I take out and put it up for sale for the next sucker.....

Last edited by scottatl; 10-10-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:08 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I have 2 pumps on the bench that I rebuilt.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Gus,

As you probably know, a new fuel pump assembly in the 4.2 cars is insanely expensive. Are you capable of rebuilding them?

Old 10-11-2020, 07:12 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I would need to play with one that has been removed to see what I can do.

Gus
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 12-15-2020, 11:22 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scardini1
I've seen (and own), many, many pliers, but I've never encountered those long reach hose pliers before. Yup - definitely "odd", but I can see where they'd be incredibly useful (lower radiator hose, perhaps? Or some of the supercharger heat exchanger menagerie?).

Thanks Marvin!
I bought a set at Harbor Freight...
Don't tell my Jag that though.