XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Help !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 02:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Help !!!!

Can anyone give me a clue why my so called smart alarm keeps going off, I thought it might be the battery, but I’ve just replaced that and maybe 2 hours after fitting it, yes you guessed it the off it goes again, my neighbours are all quite elderly and I’m getting some dirty looks, please help

Old 05-15-2022, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

D, you maybe need 2 say more for us to help.
1. What does "Smart Alarm" mean? Is smart an adjective or trademark?
2. This hinges on #1, are you referring to factory jaguar alarm or aftermarket alarm?
3. Please describe the conditions & time-line from arming to alarming.
4. Same/similar interval for each false?
5. Confirm that "arm" beep sound is normal, not the squwark sound saying a trigger is tripped.

Some car alarms can display which sensor triggered the alarm. As far as I know, Jaguar's does not - mentioned in case I'm wrong.

Did you know that if anything presses the lights on button 3 times on the remote - alarm is designed to sound? (You're not carrying a bunch of marbles and pebbles in that pocket right ? :--)

John

Old 05-16-2022, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken
D, you maybe need 2 say more for us to help.
1. What does "Smart Alarm" mean? Is smart an adjective or trademark?
2. This hinges on #1, are you referring to factory jaguar alarm or aftermarket alarm?
3. Please describe the conditions & time-line from arming to alarming.
4. Same/similar interval for each false?
5. Confirm that "arm" beep sound is normal, not the squwark sound saying a trigger is tripped.

Some car alarms can display which sensor triggered the alarm. As far as I know, Jaguar's does not - mentioned in case I'm wrong.

Did you know that if anything presses the lights on button 3 times on the remote - alarm is designed to sound? (You're not carrying a bunch of marbles and pebbles in that pocket right ? :--)

John
Sorry, I got my terminology wrong, it’s the intelligent sounder, the Jaguar back up sounder, the car used to chirp when locking and unlocking, but since the sounder just decided the car was being stolen one evening it doesn’t any more, I thought maybe just a one off, but no. It’s not a regular thing very random, it also happened when I unlocked the car with the fob, I didn’t even get chance to open the door, the sounder just went off. I pressed lock on the fob then unlock, all doors locked and unlocked as they should but sounder still going, put key in the Ignition still sounding, started engine still sounding, went round opening and shutting doors and boot/trunk still sounding. Turned off engine still sounding tried locking and unlocking again still sounding, shouted at the car locked unlocked and it stopped. Took a gamble thinking it might be the car battery so bought and fitted new battery, 2 hours later sounding off again. Frustrating. Hope that’s enough to give you a clue

Old 05-16-2022, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts

The sounder is in the driver's side wheel arch, behind the liner. You can just disconnect it to shut it up. After that you could remove it from the car and take it apart to clean it up/replace the batteries or not bother with it at all. Mine stopped chirping a while ago, I haven't got round to doing anything about it, but then the neighbours aren't complaining.

Old 05-16-2022, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

Ok interesting description. Something tells me that intelligent sounder would keep screaming even after you disconnect it (until its internal battery dies).

What do I see here?
[Sounder = the battery backup alarm horn)
1) the sounder continues with key in ignition on.
2) YOU CAN START THE CAR!!! You could not if active alarm is present.The jaguar alarm circuitry would prevent this! That sounder is not taking directions from the security module!
3) you just hear the sounder! A true alarm sounds the horn, flashes the lights!

Something, a short?, a corroded connection? Is making the sounder think the car has been breached, the ignition disabled, and the alarm is going off.

Why doesn't the key in ignition turn it off? Sounder thinks battery is disconnected (like some newbie thief would do to ****** your radio.

My advice. = remove sounder. Look for stock sounder (1 beep armed, 2 beep disarmed). I believe the sounder you disco'd is redundant, the factory standard is in there. And I've read countless tales of that factory sounder being disabled from corrosion.

Memory suggests its up by the grill/radiator, but not sure.

Makes sense?
John

Old 05-17-2022, 04:46 AM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

I had the same problem with mine several years ago and determined it was the active sounder in the RH wheel arch. It is a common problem and is caused by the internal rechargeable batteries failing due to age.

The power to the sounder is through Fuse #9 10A in the Engine compartment fuse box, it can be safely removed as it does not feed anything else.
Peace and quiet ever since.

It does not alter the operation of the main security alarm system. (In the UK vehicles 2003 MY onward should have the alarm arm/disarm chirps disabled - if yours is later you will not notice any difference.)

Last edited by Stumpy; 05-17-2022 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Ok interesting description. Something tells me that intelligent sounder would keep screaming even after you disconnect it (until its internal battery dies).

What do I see here?
[Sounder = the battery backup alarm horn)
1) the sounder continues with key in ignition on.
2) YOU CAN START THE CAR!!! You could not if active alarm is present.The jaguar alarm circuitry would prevent this! That sounder is not taking directions from the security module!
3) you just hear the sounder! A true alarm sounds the horn, flashes the lights!

Something, a short?, a corroded connection? Is making the sounder think the car has been breached, the ignition disabled, and the alarm is going off.

Why doesn't the key in ignition turn it off? Sounder thinks battery is disconnected (like some newbie thief would do to ****** your radio.

My advice. = remove sounder. Look for stock sounder (1 beep armed, 2 beep disarmed). I believe the sounder you disco'd is redundant, the factory standard is in there. And I've read countless tales of that factory sounder being disabled from corrosion.

Memory suggests its up by the grill/radiator, but not sure.

Makes sense?
John
The sounder is now out, no more false alarms for my neighbours. I will be digging into it as soon as I have chance, I took the back plate off and there does seem to be a tiny amount of rust marks around the bottom edge, thanks for all your help

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Stumpy
I had the same problem with mine several years ago and determined it was the active sounder in the RH wheel arch. It is a common problem and is caused by the internal rechargeable batteries failing due to age.

The power to the sounder is through Fuse #9 10A in the Engine compartment fuse box, it can be safely removed as it does not feed anything else.
Peace and quiet ever since.

It does not alter the operation of the main security alarm system. (In the UK vehicles 2003 MY onward should have the alarm arm/disarm chirps disabled - if yours is later you will not notice any difference.)

mine is 2003 XKR and it used to chirp with arm / disarm, up until the sounder lost its intelligence, I do miss it, most cars you can hear central locking solenoids on mine you can barely hear them.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:31 AM
Received 8,120 Likes on 4,901 Posts

There is a feature that can be interrogated with WDS/IDS that is called "LAST ALARM ACTIVATION".

You will need to go into the Vehicle Setup and Configuration TAB.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Cool, thanks Bob! I wondered if there might be a way.

John

Old 05-18-2022, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
There is a feature that can be interrogated with WDS/IDS that is called "LAST ALARM ACTIVATION".

You will need to go into the Vehicle Setup and Configuration TAB.
Can you tell WDS / IDS is please ?

Old 05-18-2022, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

World / Integrated Diagnostic System

Old 05-18-2022, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
World / Integrated Diagnostic System
How do you access this system ??

Old 05-18-2022, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,855 Posts

You must own the necessary hardware / software or know someone who does....

Old 05-19-2022, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

If only there was a way to Search here / on the web...

The following 2 users liked this post by JagV8:
dibbit (05-20-2022), motorcarman (05-19-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
You must own the necessary hardware / software or know someone who does....

Does anyone know what sort of hardware/ software is needed and are the cost prohibitive, for normal people

Old 05-20-2022, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,390 Likes on 1,550 Posts

IDS, WDS, SDD etc. is Jaguar's proprietary diagnostic kit. It consists of a hardware adaptor and a laptop running the software. It does occasionally come up on the bay & other places, and there are clones of the hardware (Mongoose) available.

This thread of szhilian39's will explain some of the requirements:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...7/#post2466569

If you're only looking to turn off the intelligent sounder, then I wouldn't bother as the car won't care if you just remove it.

There are lots of different options available iCarsoft, AutoIngenuity, etc. down to a basic ELM327 adaptor (v. cheap) linked to your smartphone. The latter will only give you the powertrain codes (Pnnnn) and allow you to monitor some parameters (e.g. fuel trims), but it's a good starting point.

HTH

Old 05-20-2022, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by michaelh
IDS, WDS, SDD etc. is Jaguar's proprietary diagnostic kit. It consists of a hardware adaptor and a laptop running the software. It does occasionally come up on the bay & other places, and there are clones of the hardware (Mongoose) available.

This thread of szhilian39's will explain some of the requirements:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...7/#post2466569

If you're only looking to turn off the intelligent sounder, then I wouldn't bother as the car won't care if you just remove it.

There are lots of different options available iCarsoft, AutoIngenuity, etc. down to a basic ELM327 adaptor (v. cheap) linked to your smartphone. The latter will only give you the powertrain codes (Pnnnn) and allow you to monitor some parameters (e.g. fuel trims), but it's a good starting point.

HTH

sounds a bit technical for me, lost interest in computers etc, used to know a bit, built a few pc’s , everything has changed so much since then, windows for work groups etc. iPhone and obd11 reader is enough for me. Thanks for the info though