XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Help! Car will not start!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help! Car will not start!

Had to leave my 99 XK8 cat at the gas station just now because it will not start. I just drove 30 miles and rand great! I pulled into fill up my tank and when i got back in it turned over...chugged and died. Over and over again i tried to start without getting it going. I let it set for about 5 min and it seemed to help and started a little better but soon started the chugging and died. I tried putting the pedal to the floor as to clean out a flooded situation that i did with my 68 Impala but that did not work at all. Now, I am thinking that maybe it is vapor locked?? Not sure but if anyone has some quick fixes i would appreciate it as i do not wish my car to be left overnight at a gas station!

Thanks

Old 12-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

It sounds like a bad fuel pump but not sure. See if the attached link on No Start helps to find the problem.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 12-17-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
It sounds like a bad fuel pump but not sure. See if the attached link on No Start helps to find the problem.

Gus.. we can always depend on you!

I don't think it is a fuel pump problem as my auto body shop called me about 6 months ago when i was having some work done on the boot they had a similar problem. After it set overnight and a mechanic came to the shop he got it started but i don't know exactly how he did. My paint guy told me that when it got it to hit he did mash on it and i think it cleaned out whatever it was that was holding it back. I have never had a problem since. Well, until now! I am not to worried about getting it started a i think it will in time and effort. It is the fact that I have to leave it at the gas station and I am not too sure how to even tow this thing if i had to.

I read the article you linked me too and will defiantly check all that but just want to get her home to do that or to my shop.

Any good ways to tow without damage?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Turbo, I wish you success in overcoming your problem, I"m sure you will.

Anyway, towing: The owner's manual has instructions, the tow guy should know his stuff, and above all else, there are plenty of Flat-Beds around to tow with.

Good luck!

Old 12-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

On a rollback!

Never a good moment when it does not start. I think that the two situations are not related but this time I am going to stick to the fuel pump. Do you have a check engine light or OBDII codes?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 PM

Don't say that 4 letter word here. CODE My car, knock on wood, has not shown a code fault in over year. But maybe that has ended. I am heading back to station to try after it as set a while. I hope to at lest nurse it home but i will have to do that in the morning.

Fingers crossed!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:03 PM

Okay...still no start! I am siding with you on this Gus. Fuel Pump! Turned over but never really kicked. Now i have to let her stay at the gas station and call for a flatbed in the morning.

Looking online .. electric fuel pump?

Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to me a few weeks ago, was advised it was the fuel pump, checked fuel pressure and that was 50+psi, had sparks to all 8 plugs. The car had run for 30 miles then switched it off to top the screen washer up,closed the bonnet and it would not start. Tried a little later it started again, closed the bonnet and engine stopped again. Problem was one of the 3 relays forward of the fuse box under the cover in the L/H side of the engine bay had worked out and was just about making contact with its connector, pushed it back in and the engine started immediately and no further problem and no cost for the fix, might be worth look at yours if any of these relays pop out engine will struggle to run, these relays cover fuel injectors, ignition coils and I think throttle body. My problem was the coil relay.
Hope this helps

Denton

Old 12-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry correction, in this case the relays will be on the right hand side in the engine bay on a LHD car.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Check the fuel pressure first before you begin pulling things apart.

Link Fuel pressure check JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

I have a procedure to test the pump and a procedure to replace and I will attach both for you to look at.

Link Pump test JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Link Pump Replacement JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The fuel pump has 2 fuses and a relay so dot the power check after the pressure check.

The following users liked this post:
Mike_W (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Thumbs up

I had a fuel pump failure a couple of weeks back. It was easy to diagnose without any special equipment, as there was no sound from the pump when the ignition was switched on. You can normally hear it whirr as it brings the fuel up to pressure. First check was the fuses and relay in the boot (trunk), which were ok, then a check of the wiring to the top of the tank, also ok. One new fuel pump later and all is running great again.

If your car is a coupe you can leave the tank in situ, but if it is a convertible, I'm afraid it's a tank out job.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 PM

I can always depend on getting great info in this forum! Thanks !

Well, she sat all night by herself and maybe that scared my car because it started just fine when I tried it this morning! No issues! Good that it started but bad that now I don't know why! I have it in the shop today anyway because I am getting a replacement subframe installed for my issue with the fulcrum bolt holes are wallard out. My shop will check as much as they can for the starting issue but until it does it again I feel I won't know what happened. Will update this if I find out anything more!

Old 12-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

My pump started working again for a couple of days, then let me down again, not while the engine was running, but after I had stopped for a few moments and it wouldn't start again. I suspect it was worn brushes, which only failed when the armature stopped in a particular position.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Drive it around the block or down the street a few times.

Originally Posted by turbo68
I can always depend on getting great info in this forum! Thanks !

Well, she sat all night by herself and maybe that scared my car because it started just fine when I tried it this morning! No issues! Good that it started but bad that now I don't know why! I have it in the shop today anyway because I am getting a replacement subframe installed for my issue with the fulcrum bolt holes are wallard out. My shop will check as much as they can for the starting issue but until it does it again I feel I won't know what happened. Will update this if I find out anything more!

Old 12-19-2012, 12:35 PM

I did.. and my shop has started it also. But, based on what i have researched on here i just will probably get a fuel pump installed if I can find just the pump. Already talked to shop about the install and watched the video that was put up...i dont think this is something i want to do. So now I just need to find a pump.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

This is another procedure that might help you.