XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Me Pick Exhaust Tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Once you do the exhaust, you will wonder how you lived without it. You will also notice a loss in MPG for the first tank while you use every excuse to hear it. So are you planning on the Mina exhuast and just thinking of tips for it, or what are your exhaust plans?

Old 01-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by K.Westra
Also, I believe only the large part of the pipe is the exhaust tip while the other is an opening that doesn't lead anywhere.
I corresponded with the guy on the X-Type forum and he assured me that this is not the case. The inlet is ported to both outlets. My TC has a two-outlet tip where one is phoney, and it looks dorky. Funny story, though. One time my daughter went down to have the emissions test done and the guy stuck the probe in the non-functional side. Told her that she must have a massive exhaust leak because he couldn't get any reading.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:23 PM

Once you do the exhaust, you will wonder how you lived without it. You will also notice a loss in MPG for the first tank while you use every excuse to hear it. So are you planning on the Mina exhuast and just thinking of tips for it, or what are your exhaust plans?
I've already replaced the front muffler with an x-pipe, but that didn't do enough for me. Since the Mina system starts after the front muffler, and I can do it myself (somehow I just don't like other people working on my cars), it is an attractive option. Also, MarcB posted that his similar setup won a "Best Sounding Exhaust" award. The other option is to get some other tips and start start letting an exhaust shop create something. That makes me nervous as it seems like too much of a "trial and error" process.

The other thing I've been pondering is to see if XKRacer still has the 911 tips and ask if he would use them to fabricate extensions that would clamp onto the stock rear mufflers for me. (I may be wrong, but it looks like the stock tips are attached like that.) I could then remove the mufflers that are forward of the axle and see how that sounds. I'm a little nervous about that though, because I think the rear cans are just resonators and it might be too loud. (Actually, I guess I could do that now, but I hate to start throwing $$$ at this if I haven't decided which way I'm going to go.) Wish I had a TIG welder and a hoist. I could have a lot of fun.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

I went full custom on mine. If you haven't seen it, here is my little write up: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=37811

I see my pictures died on that thread

Old 01-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Here's a 98 XK8 I worked on a year or so back who had those tips....

I am not a fan, however as was pointed out to me once, if you look sideways at them the are an 8...... XK8, figure 8 .....yeah I get it, still did not make me like them any better.

I have seen them done 2 ways, the common way where exhaust gases come from just one pipe and also out of both.

Click HERE for a video, these exhausts were offered by David Manners years ago, the supplier I put up on my first post also sells these tips about 3/4 of the way down on the right

I am not a fan, but it's your car do what pleases you!

Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 PM

I went full custom on mine. If you haven't seen it, here is my little write up: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=37811
Yeah, thanks Keith. I remember reading that thread before. Question I have is how do you choose a muffler? I would love to have the same basic sound as yours, but maybe a little quieter. That's why I call the process "trial and error". How do you home in on what you really like without going through a lot of hassle and cash? (Rhetorical question, I guess.)

Old 01-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

I also found a pic of these

Name:  IMG_0572.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  72.4 KB

I made these for my first XKR about 4 years ago, 3" quads, they did look good but really expensive each tip was $90 before I even picked up a welding torch, but nobody else had quad tips that big at that time

I had to baffle them to get even exhaust smoke...... Very cool

Old 01-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

I've heard vehicles with Flowmasters before and so I had a pretty good idea what they would sound like on my car. I also checked out their website as well as Magnaflow and a few others. When I found roughly what I was looking for I started talking to a few exhaust shops. I bounced a few ideas off of them and we came up with the system I have.

You could also look at SN95 Mustangs with the 4.6L V8 (1996-2004) since they sound somewhat similar to what our cars will. I'm running 40 series Flowmasters, but you might try the 50 series.

Here is an example. I think our cars would be a little bit deeper and a little bit quieter with the same muffler.

Last edited by K.Westra; 01-26-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I also found a pic of these

I made these for my first XKR about 4 years ago, 3" quads, they did look good but really expensive each tip was $90 before I even picked up a welding torch, but nobody else had quad tips that big at that time

I had to baffle them to get even exhaust smoke...... Very cool
Man, you are amazing!!! The nice part about the way you made those is that they clear the floor of the trunk (boot?). The current 3" quads from Magnaflow, etc. look like they would interfere.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a dumb question...does it change the sound if you change "only the tip" ? from its original exhaust system?

Old 01-27-2011, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XK8+XJ8L
Man, you are amazing!!! The nice part about the way you made those is that they clear the floor of the trunk (boot?). The current 3" quads from Magnaflow, etc. look like they would interfere.
Thanks for the compliment...... And that is exactly why I made them like I did to miss the trunk floor, because I took a 'branch' off the main section is why I had to baffle it slightly. I get people supplying me large quad tips in the typical 'Y' layout and they simply will not fit. It is because they are so cheap appeals to people, I do get that, I have a set here, they are huge and there is no way they will fit straight onto the exhaust and clear the bumper without some serious reshaping, I am not saying impossible but it will look wrong.

Originally Posted by onin16
just a dumb question...does it change the sound if you change "only the tip" ? from its original exhaust system?

Actually to a certain degree yes it will, you will notice it going from single to quads or visa versa, changing similar size tips but of varying shapes like ovals to round will not make any noticable difference, changing size of the tip will, but again by no massive amount unless go to the extreme.
I did an exhaust for one guy who was paranoid about it being too noisy so I fitted quieter silencers than normal. He went off on his merry way quite happy, until he went to a XK meet and prefered the sound of another guys exhaust I did sometime beforehand. He was not keen on me replacing his boxes again as this would cost major $$, so I removed just the quad tips (these were the OE type) and the sound of his exhaust note was definately deeper.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

Also, some tips are "resonator tips" that are packed with fiberglass similar to the old school glasspack mufflers. Those will quiet things down some too, but they look a little ugly.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:22 PM

OK, guys. Here's the solution I know you've all been waiting for:

Name:  Canssm.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  17.5 KB

Old 01-29-2011, 03:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....super muffler....lol

Old 02-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Default Apples and Oranges?

OK guys, I’ve got a little revelation to share here. I’ve been a bit confused. Some tips that I’ve seen on pictures that pretty much fill the bumper cutout look skimpy when I do a photo mock-up of them on my car. The light came on when I decided that Matt’s after-market tips are just a bit larger than my stock tips and look great on his car. Well, somewhere along the line the factory may have enlarged the cutout and the tips, or at least made the bumper cover extend down more. I have taken the picture of Matt’s 2003 and overlaid the right side of my 2006 stern on it, correcting the color as best I could. To me, it’s a significantly different look.

Name:  CutoutCompare.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  15.4 KB

I bought a set of the Ractive T820s. (4.5 x 3.25 inch oval). Haven’t installed them, but here’s what they would look like. I’m holding off a bit because I’ve been talking to Jason down at Nameless Performance and they may be doing something for me. More to come on that, but I’m pretty impressed with his knowledge of Jaguar exhausts.

Name:  Ractive1-1b.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  18.3 KB

Hang in there guys, Spring is coming.

Last edited by XK8+XJ8L; 02-27-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XK8+XJ8L
OK guys, I’ve got a little revelation to share here. I’ve been a bit confused. Some tips that I’ve seen on pictures that pretty much fill the bumper cutout look skimpy when I do a photo mock-up of them on my car. The light came on when I decided that Matt’s after-market tips are just a bit larger than my stock tips and look great on his car. Well, somewhere along the line the factory may have enlarged the cutout and the tips, or at least made the bumper cover extend down more. I have taken the picture of Matt’s 2003 and overlaid the right side of my 2006 stern on it, correcting the color as best I could. To me, it’s a significantly different look.

I bought a set of the Ractive T821s. (4.5 x 3.25 inch oval). Haven’t installed them, but here’s what they would look like. I’m holding off a bit because I’ve been talking to Jason down at Nameless Performance and they may be doing something for me. More to come on that, but I’m pretty impressed with his knowledge of Jaguar exhausts.

Hang in there guys, Spring is coming.
Congrats. Those are Perrrrfect.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member

Looking forward to the new exhaust! On the rear cover redesigns, I believe there were two: one in 2001 and one in 2005

Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Steve/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Steve/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]The tips on the Maroon "J4GJ4R" plate convert look great. Can someone identify them please. They look bigger than stock, so I assume they are aftermarket. What brand and your source PLEASE!

Old 02-10-2011, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member

Those tips look like Rezistanz, they are the same used by Adamesh for there back box replacement pipes, click HERE, I have a set in stock if you want me to take a pic

Old 02-10-2011, 04:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

IMHO, you can't beat the stock quads on the run-out 2005 XKR. I removed my tips last week and gave them a thorough wash, polish & wax.

Quick Reply: Help Me Pick Exhaust Tips