XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

HELP, new bushes & mounts, now massive rattle..

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 09:53 PM
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cjd777
Jeff, on the Welsh upper mounts. Did you put in your own rivets or did they come already installed?
I ask because we could not get their rivets to hold under pressure and I wonder if they may have come apart during install. Other than that, the lower shock bushing should have a 12 MM sleeve in it, anything larger would cause a problem.

Wayne
Hi Wayne. They came assembled. I had the local garage compress the springs and install the mounts. I'm now starting to wonder if maybe these rivrts have let go?
Don't think I have it in me to pull it all apart for the 3rd time to check...
The noise is like a chatter over any sort of uneven surface.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Jeff, did you see the video Race Diagnostics posted to my thread on lower ball joint issues? Let me try to past the url, if doesn't work look at post#4 in that thread:

Maybe it will help.

The following users liked this post:
Jeff390 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Jeff, did you see the video Race Diagnostics posted to my thread on lower ball joint issues? Let me try to past the url, if doesn't work look at post#4 in that thread: https://youtu.be/t1_elIi9f2o

Maybe it will help.
Thanks John, unfortunately I couldn't get to post #4. Do you have a link to the thread?

Old 03-30-2017, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Can you feel the rattle in the steering wheel or is there wheel movement when you hear the noise?

Once source of rattling on my car was the Power steering reservoir was not fully bolted down.

The top shock bolt not fully seated could rattle, but it should be fully seated. There should be foam to metal contact throughout the upper shock mount, so that shouldn't be making noise.

The balljoints/tie rods could be clunking. if you disconnect the swaybar end link and jack under the lower wishbone to raise the tire off the groung, then push on the tire at noon and 6 and 3 and 9 to check for any movement/noises.

The following users liked this post:
Jeff390 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ungn
Can you feel the rattle in the steering wheel or is there wheel movement when you hear the noise?

Once source of rattling on my car was the Power steering reservoir was not fully bolted down.

The top shock bolt not fully seated could rattle, but it should be fully seated. There should be foam to metal contact throughout the upper shock mount, so that shouldn't be making noise.

The balljoints/tie rods could be clunking. if you disconnect the swaybar end link and jack under the lower wishbone to raise the tire off the groung, then push on the tire at noon and 6 and 3 and 9 to check for any movement/noises.
Hey thanks for your input, much appreciated. Nor can I make it do it bouncing on the guards.
You can't feel the clunking/chattering thru steering wheel.
The top shock nuts are only torqued to 18Nm as they're adaptive - which seems very light.
Weird thing is, it was not making anything like this noise before I replaced the control arm bushes and shock mounts.
Have checked all nuts and bolts 3x times and everything tightened correctly.
I'm starting to think I may have killed upper ball joints in the process..?