XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Picking An IDS For My X100

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 06:58 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Help Picking An IDS For My X100

After bricking my immobilizer with a ThinkDiag (beware), I need an IDS to fix the problem that I've caused. There are a multitude of these things on Ebay, everything from a full up OEM setup for almost $1,500 to Mongoose cables with downloadable software. I need something that's fully compatible with my 1998 XK8, and would prefer to not spend a small fortune on it. I know there are a number of forum members that have an IDS setup of their own, any tips for putting together a usable system?

Old 02-06-2023, 09:10 AM
Received 8,045 Likes on 4,853 Posts

The Rotunda VCM is kinda hard to come by these days. They made them from around 2005 and used them for a decade or so.

VCM 2 will not work. Then you need the USB and OBDII cables. (in and out of the VCM)

I run a DELL C640 Win XP 32bit and it works fine.
Some people run Win 7 32bit and even a 'virtual-machine' on Windows 'whatever'.

The VCM was $2300 NEW from Ford 'back-in-the-day' but I think I gave $600 (used) for mine over a decade ago.

WDS or IDS is really the way to go with cars of that era. It is what we used at the dealer when these cars were current.
SDD will 'usually' revert to legacy IDS but................

Search eBay for used VCMs?(and cables)

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (02-07-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 09:59 AM

I can’t find a genuine VCM 1 on EBay at the moment. Thoughts on something like this setup?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28493118233...mis&media=COPY

I have previously researched getting a Mercedes STAR system, as we have two MB products in the family. One of the typical points of feedback is that it’s better to buy the entire setup as opposed to piecemeal, and to purchase from legitimate businesses that specialize in OBD. Also helps if they are English speaking.

Old 02-06-2023, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

blue honda gna600 is easier to find than red vcms. i made 5 grand scalping those things

99% of the mangoose on sale will make you suffer and struggle. the official VCI from bosch is the only jbox that works

https://jlrequipment.service-solutions.com/en-GB/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?SKU=JLR-00001

Last edited by xalty; 02-06-2023 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:19 PM

So is the VCI equivalent to the VCM 1? I can’t find any of the Honda GNA-600 either right now.

Old 02-06-2023, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
So is the VCI equivalent to the VCM 1? I can’t find any of the Honda GNA-600 either right now.
yes but your mileage may vary. it’s the least bad of readily available stuff.

Last edited by xalty; 02-06-2023 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:28 PM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I recently got a JLR Mangoose and SDD v162 from OBDII365.com. Installed on a win7 pro laptop.
Installation went smoothly, and I was able to program the keys on my 2001 xk8 no problem. For $50 or so, its worth a try.

If you want to go pure IDS, you could build an IDS130 system on an windows XP pro box using software from British Diagnostics in the UK. Its the last version that works offline. I tried it, and it also worked with the Mangoose.

Old 02-06-2023, 03:05 PM

Is there really anything better about the British Diagnostics cables? They claim to be custom but look like every other Mongoose cable on EBay. I’m considering buying an SDD v130 tablet used on EBay and then trying it with a cable.

Old 02-06-2023, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,502 Likes on 1,051 Posts

To my knowledge, there are a number of pins wired funny on the Jaguar diagnostic connector. The early air bag is following the GM protocol and is wired separately because the Ford protocol is also effective. And then there is whatever pin they use for flashing modules. IOW, you would need a Jaguar-aware cable to support "everything" in IDS/SDD. Now, if you want to just communicate with the car over the standard CAN, ISO-9141 and SCP, something more generic might work. I can't see something like programming keys requiring anything other than standard protocols, but if somehow your car needs a full immo setup with all the initial dealer options (like when an ECU is replaced), who knows.

Old 02-06-2023, 03:37 PM

Sorry, I was asking if the British Diagnostics SDD cable was any better than the other SDD cables that are out there. British Diagnostics claims that theirs are custom. For what it’s worth, I’ve had several people recommend them.

“Please allow 5-7 working days for your cable to be customised. Our cables are not off the shelf, each cable is tested with module coding to ensure it is of the highest standard.”

Old 02-06-2023, 03:45 PM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

The OBDII Mangoose worked for me with the British Diagnostics IDS - not sure what the differences might be between the 1998 and 2001 XK.

Old 02-07-2023, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fmertz
To my knowledge, there are a number of pins wired funny on the Jaguar diagnostic connector. The early air bag is following the GM protocol and is wired separately because the Ford protocol is also effective.
it’s k over pin 3 everything else is standard

i can pull live data out of it using a launch..something even a PDU can’t do lol

Last edited by xalty; 02-07-2023 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04-13-2023, 04:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi. I've been trying to get an answer from British Diagnostics for about a month now on email but so far, no luck. When was the last time you had some contact with them? I see there's no phone number either.
Also, if you were programing did you use a power supply back-up? If you didn't and you had a voltage drop, that may have been the reason for your original problem, apparently.

Sorry, I was asking if the British Diagnostics SDD cable was any better than the other SDD cables that are out there. British Diagnostics claims that theirs are custom. For what it’s worth, I’ve had several people recommend them.

“Please allow 5-7 working days for your cable to be customised. Our cables are not off the shelf, each cable is tested with module coding to ensure it is of the highest standard.”

Last edited by steve4ltr; 04-13-2023 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-13-2023, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by steve4ltr
Hi. I've been trying to get an answer from British Diagnostics for about a month now on email but so far, no luck. When was the last time you had some contact with them? I see there's no phone number either.
Also, if you were programing did you use a power supply back-up? If you didn't and you had a voltage drop, that may have been the reason for your original problem, apparently.
I never had any communication with British Diagnostics other than their automated email for the software download and shipping of the cable. The cable showed shipped within a week, but it took a solid month to get to me in the USA. I sent them a follow up email and never received a response. I was considering cancelling the purchase through my credit card company but then the part started moving through customs.

Old 04-13-2023, 08:09 AM

Yes, it very much looks like they only respond to an online purchase which is a shame really as it would be very useful to get some advice early on to be sure of what you would be buying. A lot of people buy the software to give it to a computer expert to load so the buyer would be a novice buyer. Also, they have a contact email service page complete with a form to fill. I wonder why as they don't respond?
I know a Rotunda VCM would be preferable but as they are more than a bit rare now we will have to put up with a Mongoose of some description and even they are getting hard to find as Drew don't sell them anymore. I'd like to know what the difference is between the Mongoose JLR and the Pro cables are. Especially as I have the first one!
I'm also having trouble finding a regulated power supply in the UK that has the required spec.

Old 04-13-2023, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by steve4ltr
Yes, it very much looks like they only respond to an online purchase which is a shame really as it would be very useful to get some advice early on to be sure of what you would be buying. A lot of people buy the software to give it to a computer expert to load so the buyer would be a novice buyer. Also, they have a contact email service page complete with a form to fill. I wonder why as they don't respond?
I know a Rotunda VCM would be preferable but as they are more than a bit rare now we will have to put up with a Mongoose of some description and even they are getting hard to find as Drew don't sell them anymore. I'd like to know what the difference is between the Mongoose JLR and the Pro cables are. Especially as I have the first one!
I'm also having trouble finding a regulated power supply in the UK that has the required spec.
Im not sure why you need a regulated power supply, I had my laptop plugged into the AC power adapter and the car on a battery charger.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Im not sure why you need a regulated power supply, I had my laptop plugged into the AC power adapter and the car on a battery charger.
Just to add to that, a lot of modern charges have a supply mode. This does the job without problem when using IDS.
Regarding the VCM, it's a bit of a lottery but mine is Chinese and runs fine, there are good ones out there but the pre purchase research is a must.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 481 Likes on 370 Posts

you need to have a very clean (low ripple) high output battery charger whenever you’re connected using ids or Sdd because if you’re doing any sort of writing to the modules or programming and the voltage falls too low or if you have too much noise on the powerline you’re gonna write the wrong code to the modules and it could really screw things up. There’s a huge warning in the software about Using a 55 amp supply that has very low ripple voltage. Should never just do it on battery alone

The following users liked this post:
steve4ltr (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 05:42 AM

I received positive feedback from multiple forum members on British Diagnostics. While their service sucks it seems that their product works well.

Old 04-14-2023, 07:15 AM

I received positive feedback from multiple forum members on British Diagnostics. While their service sucks it seems that their product works well.
That's reassuring. The point I'd make though is that the only feedback I've seen is from quite sometime ago and one of the reasons I mailed them was just to find out if they were still trading.
I didn't want to send my money to a company that had folded a couple of years earlier.
I think their stuff runs in a VM so it will probably load onto most any windows version. Don't forget though, that the 130 program in a VM is available for free on the web.

Quick Reply: Help Picking An IDS For My X100