XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Upper Wishbone bolt stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Drill the bugger out! Keep a watering can handy and if you think your over heating the ally you could always water it.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:52 AM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Yep, gotta cut it too. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The bushing sleeves or washers seem to be rusted permanently to the shaft.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:22 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

I did say not to cut the head off! Now you are left with exactly the same issue that you started with but now with nothing to try and turn it with. If you want to drill it, the whole subframe will need to come off as I doubt you could do it justice in place. Hammering it will probably cause it to swell and lock into place now its so short. I would remove the frame and try to press it out but you will need to make something to spread the load on the crossmember to stop it from being damaged. Load it up on the press then apply some heat to the ali and watch the pressure gauge on the press. As it expands and looses grip, the bolt will move a little. When that happens give it some lube and pressure and it will let go

The following users liked this post:
johns427 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 05:18 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Success! Twenty minutes with a 4.5" angle grinder and a 1/16" thick disk took care of it. The bushing sleeves are plain steel, not stainless, and were locked to the shaft so there was no way it was coming out. I didn't want to risk damaging the aluminum mount so I cut it on each side of the aluminum mount being careful not to damage the special shaped washers. The bolt then came out easily with a few taps. No damage to the 4 shims either. Should have gone this route three days ago but was trying not to damage anything while removing the wishbone in order to re-install the shock and spring assembly. Now I have to wait a week for a new shaft and bushings.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

John as I recall new poly bushes from the powerflex company come with new sleeves. Once installed, never had a problem removing the bolt again. When I ordered mine, they were in hand in a couple of days.

Thought it may help you get back on the road faster. You'd just need the bolt and nut.

John

Old 12-07-2017, 04:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I've had loads of trouble with these over the years and almost always ended up needing a new fulcrum bolt.

I have a theory that an oblique cut across the fulcrum bolt will greatly reduce the torque necessary to free each end as they can then be rotated independently after the usual application of release oil and heat:

Help - Upper Wishbone bolt stuck-wishbone.jpg Help - Upper Wishbone bolt stuck-wishbone-2.jpg

The shock absorber would have to be removed and the wishbone pivoted upwards to give access but it could save a lot of time.

Graham