XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

here's an easy ID question for the XKR veterans

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts
Default here's an easy ID question for the XKR veterans

what is inside this box on my 2002 XKR ? It's located on the passenger side of the bulkhead in the engine compartment (LHD USA car) It appears to have a lid held on by 4 allen head screws, but with the screws removed it won't easily budge, and I'm reluctant to force things since there's likely more fasteners I don't know about. Second photo is of the hose going into the box.

there's some kind of fan in there, right ? It makes a racket upon start up on very cold days, warm days, or with a warm engine, no racket. I can shut off the engine and then immediately restart and it's as quiet as a church on Saturday night.

I know I should be able to ID this easily, but it must be too obvious.

thanks for helping the blind !

Z

Attached Thumbnails here's an easy ID question for the XKR veterans-img_1212.jpg   here's an easy ID question for the XKR veterans-img_1213.jpg  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:59 PM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

The big box is the ECU enclosure and the little one adjacent at the top of the photo is the engine management fuse box. The ECU is fan cooled, the fan is item 14 here: https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...module-housing

Please check it is the right parts list I've given you for your VIN.

This might help too; https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-noise-57440/

Last edited by woox4; 02-13-2018 at 11:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zray (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

Chris, thank you very much for the valuable post. From the illustration it looks like the front part of the lid might slide forward for removal, then the back larger half comes out. ???

My serial number corresponds with the earlier fan

I've searched for "ECU" or "ECM" fan removal, and not come up with any details about the lid removal. Can anyone confirm how the lid(s) come off once the 4 screws are removed ? I don't want to break the box, and I can be ham-handed if not careful.

I will get a new fan ordered posthaste as it certainly sounds like the bearings or bushings are dry.

once again, thank you for the exact information I was needing.

Z

Old 02-14-2018, 05:38 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by zray
From the illustration it looks like the front part of the lid might slide forward for removal, then the back larger half comes out? .....
The JEPC diagram shows the two lugs (circled in red) on the lid which engage with the two slots (circled in blue) on the base.

here's an easy ID question for the XKR veterans-ecm-housing.jpg

With the rear of the lid removed, raise the inner edge of this section of the lid to disengage the lugs.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Dr. D (02-14-2018), zray (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
The JEPC diagram shows the two lugs (circled in red) on the lid which engage with the two slots (circled in blue) on the base.

Attachment 210222

With the rear of the lid removed, raise the inner edge of this section of the lid to disengage the lugs.

Graham
thank you for the detailed illustration.

A) So Graham, does the (larger) rear section of the lid pull straight up to remove it, or does it slide backwards some first. I ask because I had no luck pulling it straight up with all 4 screws removed. I hope a previous owner didn't glue it down

and

B) is anyone using an alternate aftermarket fan with improved cooling capacity ? If so, where was it purchased ?"

Z

Last edited by zray; 02-14-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:21 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I last had the cover off the ECM on my 2005 XK8 so it's a while ago.

As I recall removing the tamper proof bolts was the biggest challenge and the cover itself was no more difficult than taking an air filter housing apart. Just a snug enough fit to make it splashproof.

Graham

Old 02-14-2018, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by zray
thank you for the detailed illustration.

A) So Graham, does the (larger) rear section of the lid pull straight up to remove it, or does it slide backwards some first. I ask because I had no luck pulling it straight up with all 4 screws removed. I hope a previous owner didn't glue it down

and

B) is anyone using an alternate aftermarket fan with improved cooling capacity ? If so, where was it purchased ?"

Z
Michealh has recently had his ECM apart to replace the capacitors:-

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...8/#post1806456

Maybe ask him directly for some tips or start a new thread with an appropriate title - I'm sure there will be people with recent knowledge.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

My experience was the same as Graham's - 'tamperproof' bolts were a pain, after which it was pretty straightforward.

I see though that you have torx:- JEPC shows the same tamperproofs on the later cars so a PO may have opened the enclosure previously and replaced them (as I did) with something more practical.

If the internal layout is the same as mine, you will need to remove the ECM to get to the fan properly. There's not enough free wire on the connectors to do this, so it's another four tamperproofs to remove the retaining bar that holds them in place.

Do disconnect the battery first if you need to unplug anything.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:56 PM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

Just curious, does the fan run with just the ignition on or is it only with the engine running? Thought I'd check mine.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by woox4
Just curious, does the fan run with just the ignition on or is it only with the engine running? Thought I'd check mine.
on my '02 XKR, yes. When first turning on the ignition, once all the warning bells cycle thru the initial test, I can clearly hear the fan running. from inside the car before I turn the key all the way to engage the starter motor.

Also when I shut off the engine I can still hear it running for a few seconds before it shuts off.

Z.

The following users liked this post:
woox4 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Hi,
Attached are a few shots I've just taken from mine that hopefully will show you what's what.

The first is really the mirror image of yours, showing the locations of the four screws holding the front section of the ECM cover.

Second shows the view once the cover is removed. Note that the join between top and bottom is just a flat surface. You can see the retaining bar that needs to come off in order to remove the ECM connectors.

Three is a view toward the rear, showing two of the collection of foam squares that hold the ECM.

Finally a shot of the underside of the cover, again showing the flat surface and foam gasket that seals the join.

The plastic material isn't ABS (at least on mine - ABS glue doesn't affect it) so hopefully whatever has been used to reseal the enclosure won't have welded the parts together.

You may need to be a bit brutal to separate the lid if it has been glued. Worst case, you can butcher and replace the enclosure from a parts car (or the 'well-known online auction site' - they are available).

What should have been a straightforward job - do let us know how you get on.

Good luck,
Mike

P.S. The fan comes on with ignition in position ii (on)

Attached Thumbnails here's an easy ID question for the XKR veterans-top-view.jpg   here's an easy ID question for the XKR veterans-cover-removed.jpg   here's an easy ID question for the XKR veterans-rearward-view.jpg   here's an easy ID question for the XKR veterans-cover-underside.jpg  
Old 02-19-2018, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the photos. When my replacement fan arrives I'll dive in again.

z