XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

High Beam Projector?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 07:59 PM
Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Yes, you could gain quite a bit of space by removing the reflector completely. I thought about making a bracket for it. I was about to until I realized the projector was no longer contacting after the small modification I did. I considered making a hi-lo cut-off shield with a solenoid, that seems trivial and easy to install. However, my stock projectors have burn spots that affect their performance. I flipped the projector bowls for the low beams and that did provide some improvement, but not enough. That is why I am looking at replacing them. Finding stock replacements is a challenge, although I did find a possible source on eBay. I may end up going that route if upgrade projectors is impossible.
Let us know if you find a Bi-Xenon projector that fits!! Where/how did the Acme Projectors interfere??

Old 12-15-2020, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by nalle
Let us know if you find a Bi-Xenon projector that fits!! Where/how did the Acme Projectors interfere??
Two areas: the rail for lateral aim adjustment and the placement for the bottom screws that held the old projector in place. Making a bracket for it requires drilling through the projector’s lens holder.

Here are the latest output pictures. Tomorrow I will take real shots like I did when I had the projector in hand. Also, the auto leveling is working.

Stock low beam only.

Low beam + Morimoto Mini HB LED projector High beam

High Beam Only: Morimoto Mini HB LED projector

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 12-15-2020 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Can a moderator please update post #38 and make the following changes:

Step. 7: use a Dremmel to grind down the reflector hole enough for the entire thread shaft of the projector to fit in it, including the area that is not threaded.

Step 9: The flat part of the projector's heat sink must face up, not down for the light beam to travel like a high beam should. If done how I had initially suggested, the beam will be pointing to the ground like fog lights.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the pictures. The Morimoto LED mini HB are it!! Now we need to solve the fit on the Bi-Xenon! Have you looked at the Bi-Xenon Morimoto H1 8.0 at the Retrofit Store. They give dimensions on the bottom of the page. Looks smaller than the ACME, but pricey.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the pictures. The Morimoto LED mini HB are it!! Now we need to solve the fit on the Bi-Xenon! Have you looked at the Bi-Xenon Morimoto H1 8.0 at the Retrofit Store. They give dimensions on the bottom of the page. Looks smaller than the ACME, but pricey.
I was about to order those until I realized they are H1. They would require aftermarket ballasts. I would rather use a D2S type projector because it allows me to keep the stock ballast by using an ignitor adaptor. This would be so much easier if the projector hole allowed for a 3-inch lens. I could then just use the Morimoto Mini D2S 5.0. Actually, from looking at the dimensions, the only problem is the lens size. A bracket seems easier to make for that projector.

I wish I had taken measurements while I was in there today to see if its possible for a 3-inch lens to fit with some minimal modifications to the headlight housing.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 12-15-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:07 AM

I was about to order those until I realized they are H1. They would require aftermarket ballasts. I would rather use a D2S type projector because it allows me to keep the stock ballast by using an ignitor adaptor. This would be so much easier if the projector hole allowed for a 3-inch lens. I could then just use the Morimoto Mini D2S 5.0. Actually, from looking at the dimensions, the only problem is the lens size. A bracket seems easier to make for that projector.

I wish I had taken measurements while I was in there today to see if its possible for a 3-inch lens to fit with some minimal modifications to the headlight housing.
giandaniel, you'll be so tired of me before all this is over. So much to learn and so little time😁...........
I understand desire to stay with D2s as they are original and work with installed ballast. But, what do you mean with "igniter adapter". Is it not part of the original ballast and work directly with any D2S bulb?????

Old 12-16-2020, 07:29 AM

giandaniel, you'll be so tired of me before all this is over. So much to learn and so little time😁...........
I understand desire to stay with D2s as they are original and work with installed ballast. But, what do you mean with "igniter adapter". Is it not part of the original ballast and work directly with any D2S bulb?????
Duh! I found it! We are going from D1S to D2S and there goes another $76:-.......

The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, this is not an inexpensive upgrade, but the increase in light output is worth it.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:50 PM

giandaniel, you realize that you are the Guinea Pig here!..I am not ready to pull my headlights until I/we have all this figured out. I am excited about the Morimoto mini HB LED. I am convinced that it will fit just fine. So, for me one option is to just leave the HID Low Beam as is. I realize your situation is different.
I also do like the idea to get new Bi-Xenon for the Low Beam, as it would also add to the Hi Beam. However, it seems that size is a problem for fit. The H1 Projectors seem to be generally smaller than the D2S Projectors. I have been all over the internet looking for small 2.5" Projectors and H1 seems to be "it".
Now for my probably dumb question. Why is it not possible to fire the H1 with the old Jag D1S ballast?? No conversion stuff??

Old 12-16-2020, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

giandaniel, you realize that you are the Guinea Pig here!..I am not ready to pull my headlights until I/we have all this figured out. I am excited about the Morimoto mini HB LED. I am convinced that it will fit just fine. So, for me one option is to just leave the HID Low Beam as is. I realize your situation is different.
I also do like the idea to get new Bi-Xenon for the Low Beam, as it would also add to the Hi Beam. However, it seems that size is a problem for fit. The H1 Projectors seem to be generally smaller than the D2S Projectors. I have been all over the internet looking for small 2.5" Projectors and H1 seems to be "it".
Now for my probably dumb question. Why is it not possible to fire the H1 with the old Jag D1S ballast?? No conversion stuff??
Precisely. I haven’t found any way to adapt a D1S ballast to an H1 bulb and projector. That means buying an aftermarket ballast and losing the auto-leveling function would be the only way of having an H1 bulb and projector setup work.

Old 12-16-2020, 04:02 PM

I think I finally got it! 😁. I'll keep looking for D2S that might have potential. Now, what is wrong with your current Jag Low Beam HID?? Can it be refinished??
In the back of my mind, I still keep thinking of adding a "flipper" to the old unit. Have you considered that??? Very simplified, cut the old fixed one and add a "hinge" and a magnet coil.

Old 12-16-2020, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

I think I finally got it! 😁. I'll keep looking for D2S that might have potential. Now, what is wrong with your current Jag Low Beam HID?? Can it be refinished??
In the back of my mind, I still keep thinking of adding a "flipper" to the old unit. Have you considered that??? Very simplified, cut the old fixed one and add a "hinge" and a magnet coil.
Refinishing was my first thought, but I thought it would have been a good momento to upgrade.

I will contact the guys at the retrofit source. They may perhaps know of a projector which could work. Hell, I will even ask them if its possible to buy a custom version of the Morimoto Mini D2S 5.0 with 2.5 inch lenses instead. I am willing to pay the extra money.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:18 PM

Refinishing was my first thought, but I thought it would have been a good momento to upgrade.

I will contact the guys at the retrofit source. They may perhaps know of a projector which could work. Hell, I will even ask them if its possible to buy a custom version of the Morimoto Mini D2S 5.0 with 2.5 inch lenses instead. I am willing to pay the extra money.
So, I see several 2.5" projectors advertising fit for H7 bulbs. I also see H7 to D2S adapters. Is this an option???

Old 12-16-2020, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

So, I see several 2.5" projectors advertising fit for H7 bulbs. I also see H7 to D2S adapters. Is this an option???

Sounds like it could be. Do you have a link to those projectors and adapters?

Old 12-16-2020, 06:52 PM

Sounds like it could be. Do you have a link to those projectors and adapters?
Try these.

Amazon Amazon

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H7-Adapters...-/230448983184

Amazon Amazon

Old 12-16-2020, 07:50 PM

giandaniel,

The H1 and D2S looks to have roughly the same dimensions. Maybe more important, the "hot spot" is about the same distance from the base. Is that a good sign??

Old 12-17-2020, 08:43 AM

Giandaniel, I am sure you are pretty tired of me by now...... Just one more question......
The Standard Jag Ballast is for a D1S bulb. I.e. no internal igniter. However, it would probably run a 35W H1 HID bulb if we just had an igniter?? Morimoto has several different igniters. Could one make one of those work with the Jag Ballast and an H1 HID bulb?????
I understand your desire to use the Jag Ballast because of the Leveling part.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Giandaniel, I am sure you are pretty tired of me by now...... Just one more question......
The Standard Jag Ballast is for a D1S bulb. I.e. no internal igniter. However, it would probably run a 35W H1 HID bulb if we just had an igniter?? Morimoto has several different igniters. Could one make one of those work with the Jag Ballast and an H1 HID bulb?????
I understand your desire to use the Jag Ballast because of the Leveling part.
I already have on hand a D1S to D2S ignitor. I believe yes, you would have to find a way to convert the D1S to AMP which is what the H1 HID uses. That would make the swap possible using the Morimoto Mini H1 projector.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:56 AM

I already have on hand a D1S to D2S ignitor. I believe yes, you would have to find a way to convert the D1S to AMP which is what the H1 HID uses. That would make the swap possible using the Morimoto Mini H1 projector.
Thanks.. I just sent an email to The Retrofit Store. Let's see what I get back..😊

Old 12-17-2020, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

I spoke with Carlos from The Retrofit Source and he pointed me towards the Morimoto 4TL-R projectors. Those have a 2.5" lens with similar-looking mounting points to the stock projectors, and they are D2S. The width of the projectors may be the biggest issue, coming in at 105 mm at their widest, which means they may just about fit with perhaps a little bit of cutting. I'm going to do the exchange and try them out.

These are the 4TL-R: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...TLR?quantity=1

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 12-17-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: High Beam Projector?