XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

High Beam Projector?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 03:42 PM
Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, I can see the 105mm being a problem. Still no answer to my TRS email . We'll keep on fighting.

Old 12-17-2020, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,448 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by nalle
Yes, I can see the 105mm being a problem. Still no answer to my TRS email. We'll keep on fighting.

I took a measurement with my ruler of the diameter for the low beam hole, and it came at 11 cm, which is about 110 mm assuming my ruler is accurate. I think it will fit. Otherwise, I think you can remove the high beam and slide it into place from the side. I think it possibly will fit. The Acme had more than enough space in width, in fact, the stock projectors are wider. I measured an outline sketch I made of them at 10.3 cm. (103 mm) Which is about a 2 mm difference between stock and the 4TL-R and a 5 mm clearance. Depth and height will not be an issue with the 4TL-R. They are shorter than the Acmes in height, with regards to the depth, we easily have about 140 mm available.

I already began the exchange. They gave me the exchange authorization and their address. I shipped the Acme projectors about an hour ago. However, by the time I receive the 4TL-Rs I will have to postpone the retrofit. I have my cataract surgery on Monday and I'm not supposed to lift anything over 10 lbs for a few weeks.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 12-17-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
I took a measurement with my ruler of the diameter for the low beam hole, and it came at 11 cm, which is about 110 mm assuming my ruler is accurate. I think it will fit. Otherwise, I think you can remove the high beam and slide it into place from the side. I think it possibly will fit. The Acme had more than enough space in width, in fact, the stock projectors are wider. I measured an outline sketch I made of them at 10.3 cm. (103 mm) Which is about a 2 mm difference between stock and the 4TL-R and a 5 mm clearance. Depth and height will not be an issue with the 4TL-R. They are shorter than the Acmes in height, with regards to the depth, we easily have about 140 mm available.

I already began the exchange. They gave me the exchange authorization and their address. I shipped the Acme projectors about an hour ago. However, by the time I receive the 4TL-Rs I will have to postpone the retrofit. I have my cataract surgery on Monday and I'm not supposed to lift anything over 10 lbs for a few weeks.
Looking forward to hear how the 4TL-R's work out. Re. Cataract surgery. Been there, done that. Good luck. Colorwise you will find a new world out there.

The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (12-17-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

Looking forward to hearing how the 4TL-R's work out. Re. Cataract surgery. Been there, done that. Good luck. Colorwise you will find a new world out there.
I am looking forward to installing them as well and being able to share good news and an upgrade path for the low beams just like I did with the high beams.

I am also excited about my cataract surgery. It is a bit weird being the youngest guy by far at the ophthalmologist's office. I am basically a cyclops at the moment. The eye that has the cataract also has astigmatism and can be considered legally blind. My other eye has perfect 20/20 vision.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:25 PM

I am looking forward to installing them as well and being able to share good news and an upgrade path for the low beams just like I did with the high beams.

I am also excited about my cataract surgery. It is a bit weird being the youngest guy by far at the ophthalmologist's office. I am basically a cyclops at the moment. The eye that has the cataract also has astigmatism and can be considered legally blind. My other eye has perfect 20/20 vision.
Hopefully the astigmatism will be corrected also and you will find a new world out there. We'll await you lo beam adventures 😁

Old 12-17-2020, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Hi Guys! I've had them both plus a Retina problem.....I remember when the Doc pulled the layer of Retina to smooth it out...the vision I saw was absolutely Beautiful....I only wear my Glasses to read the small stuff now!!! Good Luck to you "Porta Rico", hopefully you will be OK from now on! We need you back, so we can get these Lights going....!

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch

Nalle, This is what it will look like when the Fog Light gets repaired...Still like that idea....

Old 12-18-2020, 07:33 AM

This might be another option

Amazon Amazon

Old 12-18-2020, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

That looks very similar in shape to the Acme units I sent back to TRS. I don't think those would fit.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:28 PM

I thought it was narrower. Anyway, both Billy and I are hot to trot on the HIgh beam LED projector. Hope you can take lots of picture from different angles on your Low Beam modifications when that day comes. Get your eye taken care of first. 👍

giandanielxk8 (12-18-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member

I did have the opportunity to test them out last Friday and let me tell you, those high beams were spectacular. I could see everything driving in pitch black twisties. Unfortunately when I arrived at the highway was when I realized that I had aimed them too high. In fact, I had them at the highest angle possible. I was illuminating straight at road signs. It's not a problem, I just aimed them down at the side of the road and could immediately tell the difference.

Because it will be at least a fortnight until I can actually work on the Jag again (I'm hoping the doctor doesn't give me a longer timeframe tomorrow), I'm posting some pictures of what the headlights look mounted on the Jag so that you can appreciate the looks of it. Hopefully, by the time I am cleared to lift more than 10 lbs I have received the 4TL-Rs and can upgrade my low beam to match. Please excuse the dirty Jag. I haven't had much of an opportunity to wash it.

Old 12-26-2020, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Just an update, the surgery was this past Monday. It went well, I see a lot better now. The 4TL-Rs seem to be having some sort of Christmas related shipping delays because the tracking hasn't updated in the past couple of days. On Monday, I have to wait one more week before I can do any strenuous activities. I should be able to show some progress by about the 4th of January.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:57 PM

Just an update, the surgery was this past Monday. It went well, I see a lot better now. The 4TL-Rs seem to be having some sort of Christmas related shipping delays because the tracking hasn't updated in the past couple of days. On Monday, I have to wait one more week before I can do any strenuous activities. I should be able to show some progress by about the 4th of January.
giandaniel, glad to learn that your surgery went well. I have decided to keep my old HID low beams. I have ordered new D1S 35W 6000K bulbs and will also order and replace the ballasts. Just in case it is possible to modify the low beams for Lo/Hi, I have ordered a couple of $10:- solenoids. We'll see when I get it all apart.
I will also order the Morimoto mini HB based on your pictures. They really look great. How convinced are you that the High beam /Low beam relationship and alignment is "spot on" after you turned it 180 deg??
I am still somewhat concerned about that and wonder if individual adjustment will be required.
Well, time will tell. I will not have all the parts together until after the first of the new year.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

Hey, "Porta Rica"!

Glad your Surgery went well! I've been waiting to hear...You will be happy as the Days go by and seeing much better than before....Good Luck to you!

Looking forward to you and Bjorn getting your High Beams all worked-out.....If you are Happy withrthem I will probably follow suit!

Old 12-26-2020, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

giandaniel, glad to learn that your surgery went well. I have decided to keep my old HID low beams. I have ordered new D1S 35W 6000K bulbs and will also order and replace the ballasts. Just in case it is possible to modify the low beams for Lo/Hi, I have ordered a couple of $10:- solenoids. We'll see when I get it all apart.
I will also order the Morimoto mini HB based on your pictures. They really look great. How convinced are you that the High beam /Low beam relationship and alignment is "spot on" after you turned it 180 deg??
I am still somewhat concerned about that and wonder if an individual adjustment will be required.
Well, time will tell. I will not have all the parts together until after the first of the new year.
Modifying the original projector for Hi/Lo functionality would require a solenoid that can hold a flip-down cut-off-shield, modifying the original cut-off shield or removing it entirely, a 9005 splitter cable, and the solenoid would require being able to connect to the 9005 wire loom. I guess it might be doable? I was in fact not 100% convinced on the alignment on my first drive after doing this because I noticed that my high beams were illuminating too far upwards. However, a quick adjustment with an Allen wrench on the headlights vertical adjustment screw improved that. My low beams were also too high before this adjustment. I think I may still need to fine-tune the alignment because I have not had the chance to go to the appropriate wall to do so. I think both my low beams and my high beams may still be aimed a little too high.

The good thing about the headlights in our cars is that, if you need to open them up to do a manual adjustment that can't be solved with the external adjustment screws, you don't have to stick them in an oven to do so like in most other cars.

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Hey, "Porta Rica"!

Glad your surgery went well! I've been waiting to hear...You will be happy as the Days go by and seeing much better than before.... Good Luck to you!

Looking forward to you and Bjorn getting your High Beams all worked-out.....If you are happy with them I will probably follow suit!

Thanks! Yes, every day my vision sharpens. It's been a massive improvement compared to before my surgery.

Unfortunately, my family is not allowing me to drive at all this week, and even perhaps next week until my doctor okays it. He also completely changed my post-op instructions compared to most of his patients. He said, since I am much younger than the usual demographic he performs cataracts surgeries on, some considerations must be taken. Chief among them is that, according to him, my youth means my immune system is stronger. As a result, my eyes will undergo inflammation for much longer than older patients. Thus, he told me that I will be using the eye-drops until he tells me to stop in either the next f/up appointment or the one after that. He also said that there is a possibility that as my brain adjusts to binocular vision again, I may experience a transient double-vision. I guess that means I must be chauffeured for the time being.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 12-26-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds to me like you have a Good Doctor! Be sure to follow his directions to the Letter!

BCP

giandanielxk8 (12-26-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 06:44 AM

Modifying the original projector for Hi/Lo functionality would require a solenoid that can hold a flip-down cut-off-shield, modifying the original cut-off shield or removing it entirely, a 9005 splitter cable, and the solenoid would require being able to connect to the 9005 wire loom. I guess it might be doable? I was in fact not 100% convinced on the alignment on my first drive after doing this because I noticed that my high beams were illuminating too far upwards. However, a quick adjustment with an Allen wrench on the headlights vertical adjustment screw improved that. My low beams were also too high before this adjustment. I think I may still need to fine-tune the alignment because I have not had the chance to go to the appropriate wall to do so. I think both my low beams and my high beams may still be aimed a little too high.

The good thing about the headlights in our cars is that, if you need to open them up to do a manual adjustment that can't be solved with the external adjustment screws, you don't have to stick them in an oven to do so like in most other cars.

Thanks! Yes, every day my vision sharpens. It's been a massive improvement compared to before my surgery.

Unfortunately, my family is not allowing me to drive at all this week, and even perhaps next week until my doctor okays it. He also completely changed my post-op instructions compared to most of his patients. He said, since I am much younger than the usual demographic he performs cataracts surgeries on, some considerations must be taken. Chief among them is that, according to him, my youth means my immune system is stronger. As a result, my eyes will undergo inflammation for much longer than older patients. Thus, he told me that I will be using the eye-drops until he tells me to stop in either the next f/up appointment or the one after that. He also said that there is a possibility that as my brain adjusts to binocular vision again, I may experience a transient double-vision. I guess that means I must be chauffeured for the time being.
Well, I second what Billy said -Follow the doctors orders all the way.........
It is encouraging what you wrote that both Hi and Lo were to high and had to be brought down. That may mean that they are well aligned between hi and lo and need only be adjusted together with the Allenhead screw. Did you just remove the white plastic washer and rotate the mini HB180 deg. to gain the extra space from the glass, allowing for the auto level movement???

As far as the Low beam conversion is concerned, I am only considering using a solenoid. I have very little info or pictures of the low beam assembly. Only your pictures way early in this post. There seem to be space between Hi and Lo to fit a small solenoid. The big question is if it is possible to do "micro surgery" on the existing shield and convert to a flip down. If it gets too wild, I'll just live with the Lo beam as is. 😒

Old 12-27-2020, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member

Well, I second what Billy said -Follow the doctors orders all the way.........
It is encouraging what you wrote that both Hi and Lo were to high and had to be brought down. That may mean that they are well aligned between hi and lo and need only be adjusted together with the Allenhead screw. Did you just remove the white plastic washer and rotate the mini HB180 deg. to gain the extra space from the glass, allowing for the auto level movement???

As far as the Low beam conversion is concerned, I am only considering using a solenoid. I have very little info or pictures of the low beam assembly. Only your pictures way early in this post. There seem to be space between Hi and Lo to fit a small solenoid. The big question is if it is possible to do "micro surgery" on the existing shield and convert to a flip down. If it gets too wild, I'll just live with the Lo beam as is. 😒

No, I actually kept the white silicon grommet. To gain the extra space I used a dremmel to expand the reflectors bulb holder hole by a few thousandths of an inch. That allows the Mini HB to sit flush on the reflector and clear the glass. However, that did not solve the alignment at all. When I rotated the Mini HB 180° so that the flat edge of its heatsink points towards the sky is when its aim was corrected. Turns out I had installed it upside-down the first time.

Tell you what, when the 4TL-Rs arrive and I’m cleared to work on this again, I will make a video on YouTube showing the differences between both projectors to better give you an idea of how to modify it for Hi/Lo functionality.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 12-27-2020 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:19 AM

No, I actually kept the white silicon grommet. To gain the extra space I used a dremmel to expand the reflectors bulb holder hole by a few thousandths of an inch. That allows the Mini HB to sit flush on the reflector and clear the glass. However, that did not solve the alignment at all. When I rotated the Mini HB 180° so that the flat edge of its heatsink points towards the sky is when its aim was corrected. Turns out I had installed it upside-down the first time.

Tell you what, when the 4TL-Rs arrive and I’m cleared to work on this again, I will make a video on YouTube showing the differences between both projectors to better give you an idea of how to modify it for Hi/Lo functionality.
A video or a few pictures would be great! Also, do you need to keep the silicone grommet. Can't you just go "metal-to-metal" with the mini HB up against the reflector??

Old 12-27-2020, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

A video or a few pictures would be great! Also, do you need to keep the silicone grommet. Can't you just go "metal-to-metal" with the mini HB up against the reflector??

I guess you could. Our headlights are not water tight. They do experience some water condensation. That’s mostly why I kept it, but I don’t think that grommet is doing much of anything.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:17 AM

I guess you could. Our headlights are not water tight. They do experience some water condensation. That’s mostly why I kept it, but I don’t think that grommet is doing much of anything.
Not too much problem with condensation here in Arizona. If you have condensation issues, make sure the drain tab is clear and maybe consider a bag of Silica Gel inside. Check the TTG video on YouTube!

Quick Reply: High Beam Projector?