XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Which High Brake Light Part Number?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 01:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Which High Brake Light Part Number?

I am a very confused newbie...

New to me 1997 XK8 COUPE. Failed inspection for the third brake light not working. Though I was able to repair it electrically (replaced the LED light strip) I cannot get the unit to reinstall properly due to plastic parts having been toasted in the heat under the rear window. Both of the 'wings' that are supposed to hold it in place are gone. I have glued the light back (sort of in it's right place) but cannot get the cover to attach resulting in the red glow of the LEDs reflecting into the interior (not ideal) and either living with a rattle (cover loosely in place) or wires exposed.

Shopping on the internet has left me wondering what the right part number is for the latest and potentially revised part number. I believe the color of the cover is Ostrich but my cover is still in good shape so color is less important than getting the right part. My local dealer after calling, visiting, and providing the VIN, was too put out to actually look it up and just gave me, "around $310 for the part." No part number. I have been looking at LJB5000ABAGE but there are numerous variations on this.

Can anyone clarify which of the iterations of this light is the right one? (and where the best source for it might be?)
Thank you.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Below is a link to the SNG Barratt website for the upper brake light. They are the same from 1997 to 1999 according to the parts book.

https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/Eng...%20STOP%20LAMP

Attached Thumbnails Which High Brake Light Part Number?-high-mounted-brake-light.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Grybrd (06-19-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Can someone clarify the differences between those lights described as before a specific VIN and after a specific VIN.
I am hoping that the 'pre' part numbers are light bulb (no longer available) and that the post numbers are LED.
Though I have a 'pre' VIN vehicle, the car does have an LED unit which may mean it has already been replaced once?

Sadly, still confused.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,397 Likes on 1,554 Posts

The earlier VIN part # seems to be superseded by the later one, so I imagine they're interchangeable.

Jaguar Heritage has availability of the complete unit in some colours (Coffee & Antelope - I can't see Ostrich) but it's painfully expensive:
https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...nted-stop-lamp

Appreciate it's the wrong side of the pond but it may help you determine the correct part #

It's worth checking the breaker yards, but, as you've discovered, they're fragile so finding an intact one may be a challenge.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the link. I will look there as well as on this 'side of the pond.' (Always did love that expression.)
The frustration is really with my local dealer who was as helpful as a brain hemorrhage!

Update: I have made a purchase from SNG Barratt. Here's hoping it's the right one.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by avern1
Below is a link to the SNG Barratt website for the upper brake light. They are the same from 1997 to 1999 according to the parts book.

https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/Eng...%20STOP%20LAMP
Vern,
Thanks for the information on this vendor.
On their internet order form they requested (optionally) that I provide my VIN and they had a place for me to include any comments/questions.
Within a couple of hours of my order I had a response that the light ordered and the color of the case were exactly what my car specified, ending any angst that I had about my choice.
I cannot remember the last time I received such buyer support.

The following users liked this post:
SNG Barratt USA (06-19-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Grybrd
Vern,
Thanks for the information on this vendor.
On their internet order form they requested (optionally) that I provide my VIN and they had a place for me to include any comments/questions.
Within a couple of hours of my order I had a response that the light ordered and the color of the case were exactly what my car specified, ending any angst that I had about my choice.
I cannot remember the last time I received such buyer support.

Perfect part. Super easy install.
Just a little pricey but that's what happens with British sports cars in America.

Old 05-24-2021, 06:46 AM

Lost and now found:
I have a perfectly functional high brake light LED strip that I made for my car (before replacing the entire brake light unit due to broken plastic bits). It has the proper connection to just plug-n-play. It only needs to be glued in place.
FREE TO THE FIRST TO RESPOND.