XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Hittin' the road!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:24 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sam,
Thanks for the pictures and commentary. The Raven picture is incredible, what an amazing coincidence! That one is worthy of entering a Photo Contest!!
Brian

Old 08-02-2010, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Sam, as the others have said, thanks for taking us along on this great journey. I've always wanted to do something similar and now I sort of know what it would be like. Someday maybe.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:27 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fedoraja1
Exactly what I was thinking... or this...
Century fighter: F101 Voodoo pair of J57 with a/b.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
OK... after leaving New Mexico we went to Vegas just for one night. We also stopped by Hoover Dam. I have some pics, but I need my wife's permission to post them and she's asleep, so those will have to wait. After Vegas we headed to the Grand Canyon. That's when the car trouble happened. We finally made it to the Grand Canyon, and the scenery was incredible.

And I saw this cute little squirrel gazing at the canyon. I have to wonder what he was thinking.

I only got this pic of the Jag at the canyon. The lighting was bad, but if you look close you can see the canyon in the background.

Oh... I also got this pic, but you can't really tell that I'm at the Grand Canyon.

Today we left the canyon and crossed southern Utah to get to Moab. We drove through Capital Reef National Park and across some really beautiful countryside. We crossed a mountain range at a pass that topped out at 9600 feet. There were lots of storms around and I must have raised and lowered the top 6 or 7 times. I left the tonneau cover off to make it easy to raise the top in a rush.

This one is at the top of the mountain pass.

And I think the mountain range in the background of this pic is the one we crossed. I'm not quite sure, though.

And these roads were STEEP! I'm seen 6% and 8% grades, but never a 10 before.

I was going down an 8% grade when I saw this cow out in front of me while coming around a curve. I had to slam on my brakes. She was right in the middle of the road! She wandered off to the side, but if I hadn't slammed on the brakes I would have hit her. I then started wondering who would be at fault. There are signs on the road warning about cows, but who would be responsible for the damage? Would I have to pay the rancher for his cow, or would he have to pay my repair bills?

Then we got to Capital Reef. Look it up on Wikipedia. It's awesome.

The photos really don't do justice to the scale. It the pic directly above, that cliff is at least 400 feet tall. Here's a pic showing my wife standing under a huge boulder. From the road I thought the boulder was maybe 15 feet tall. In reality it's the size of a house!

That's all for now. I have many more pics to post but I'm exhausted.

Beautiful! You have taken the forum to new heights.

Last edited by Cat888; 08-19-2011 at 06:49 AM. Reason: more
Old 08-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking Have a good trip Rev.

Originally Posted by Fedoraja1
Woooo! If you see a moose or a train or military aircraft, take a picture of your car with it. That would be neat-o. Have fun!
If you wan't to see moose, why not try a trip to Canada....the last true frontier in N. America.
P.S. We have good Jag Dealers in most of our cities in case you run into one.

Stainless (Stan)

2005 XK8 since new

Old 08-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Great pics Rev. I've been to some of those locations. Makes me want to go again. You know your way around a camera as well as a Jag.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

I was just reminiscing and thought I'd upload a few pics I never posted back then.

Here's my favorite toy somewhere in southern Utah or Northern Arizona:

Oh yeah... my Jag is in that picture, too, in case you hadn't noticed. It's the big silvery thing.

And here's my boss somewhere in Utah.

This is somewhere in the mountains of Utah:

This is in the mountains near Ruidoso, New Mexico. I wish that railing wasn't there. The pic would be 100 times better with no railing.

I'll look for some more good ones later. It's past my bedtime.

Attached Thumbnails Hittin' the road!-utah-small.jpg   Hittin' the road!-utah-mtns-small.jpg   Hittin' the road!-sierra-blanca-jag.jpg  
Old 01-02-2013, 04:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Nice backdrop, but girl not scantily clad and pose only slightly alluring.

Fail.

The following users liked this post:
Reverend Sam (02-27-2024)
Old 01-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

And here are a few more...

As we left North Carolina we got off of I-40 in Marion, North Carolina and drove up highway 80 to the Blue Ridge Parkway. For those of you unfamiliar with the BRP, it's a road, but it's also a national park. It's several hundred miles long through the mountains of Virginia and North Carolina and the maximum speed is 45 miles per hour. It's a very twisty, curvy, two-lane road with lots of tunnels and places to pull off to take in the stunning views. Commercial vehicles aren't allowed, so you won't see any big trucks.

Here's the Jag at one of the overlooks somewhere along the BRP. There were puffy clouds all around, so one minute we'd be driving in bright sunlight and the next minute we'd be in dense fog. You can see the fog 100 meters away in the background, yet my car is in the sun.

The whole trip was supposed to be about staying off of the main roads, staying away from chain restaurants, and staying at cheap, "Bates Motel" type motels. The motel we picked the first night convinced us to be a little more selective going forward. It was late in the evening and foggy when we finally came down off of the Blue Ridge Parkway and found this motel in Asheville, NC. My wife and I were both in an adventurous mood. When I went into the motel office to ask about the rate, the owner sized me up, looked out the window at my car, and in a thick, barely understandable middle-eastern accent told me it was $50. After getting the key and going to our room I was pretty sure that the normal rate was probably $20-$25, but he saw the car and decided we could pay more. If we had driven by the hotel during the day when there was no fog, we never would have stopped, but at night, with fog so thick we couldn't see from one end of the motel to the other, we couldn't see how bad the motel actually looked.

Crossing Tennessee the next day, we Went to a state park that's about 10 miles off of I-40 called Burgess Falls State Park. A 1 mile hiking trail takes you to three different waterfalls, each one bigger than the last one.

Here is the middle waterfall. It's actually 80 feet tall, which is hard to tell in this picture.

And here's the big, main waterfall. It's 136 feet tall. You can actually walk all the way down to the base of the falls and swim in the river down there!

This is the stairway bolted to the side of the canyon wall that takes you down to the bottom.

And this is the view from the bottom of the falls. On this day there wasn't much water flowing over the falls.

Next stop: Memphis.

Attached Thumbnails Hittin' the road!-p7240063.jpg   Hittin' the road!-dscn0394.jpg   Hittin' the road!-img_4727.jpg   Hittin' the road!-img_4752.jpg   Hittin' the road!-img_4759.jpg  

Hittin' the road!-img_4741.jpg  
Old 01-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Nothing exciting happened in Memphis, so I'll skip straight to Northern Arkansas. We went canoeing on the Buffalo River in the Ozark Mountains. I posted pics from there way back on page 2 or 3, so I won't repeat those. The funny thing about Northern Arkansas, however, is that almost everyone drives pickup trucks or old beat up cars (at least that's the way it was where we were driving). My car stood out like a sore thumb. A highly polished, beautiful, curvaceous, sexy sore thumb. People were gawking at it wherever we went. This is a typical scene from the area around the Buffalo River:

Attached Thumbnails Hittin' the road!-dscn0490.jpg  

Last edited by Reverend Sam; 01-03-2013 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Speling
Old 01-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm glad nothing exciting happened to you in Memphis. As a resident, I can tell you that most of the exciting stuff is the sort of stuff to make the lead news story. Yes, if it bleeds, it leads.

Let me know next time you pass through. There are a few things worth stopping for.

Northern AK? NOTHING worth stopping for until you hit the Ozarks.

Happy trails.

-lux

Old 01-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hypoluxo
I'm glad nothing exciting happened to you in Memphis. As a resident, I can tell you that most of the exciting stuff is the sort of stuff to make the lead news story. Yes, if it bleeds, it leads.

Let me know next time you pass through. There are a few things worth stopping for.

Northern AK? NOTHING worth stopping for until you hit the Ozarks.

Happy trails.

-lux
We did hang out on Beale Street after we checked into the Hampton Inn there on Beale Street. When I was in the Marines I was stationed at Millington for a while, so I'm familiar with Memphis' "issues". We ate at Dyer's Burgers there on Beale because I had seen it on the Food Network. For those of you who have never heard of it, they deep fry their burgers and they haven't changed the grease since 1912. Hundred year old grease is supposed to give the burgers their flavor.

Here's their website: http://www.dyersonbeale.com/

Attached Thumbnails Hittin' the road!-dscn0414.jpg