Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Help: TMV and Prices

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Honest Help: TMV and Prices

Hey Guys;

Let me start by saying this. I'm 54 and owner of my 04 XK8 4.2 Convertible for the past six years. I've owned a Vanden Plas, BMWs, Mercedes [C350 Sport right now], Volvos, Audis, Alfa Romeo, Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Peugeot, Ford, etc., etc.. This XK8 is, by far, the most difficult car for me to part with. (I was planning to sell it last year but didn't get around to it. Am barely getting around to it this year....maybe not.) Six years later, I still look at her as I walk into my office. With the top down on a warm day, there's nothing better. The absolutely WORST thing I did to prepare this car for sale: Put on new Pirelli PZeros. The ride is, now, amazing. I bought the car in 2008 with 52,000 miles. I've driven 12K miles in that time. Not because I don't want to, but I lick the pavement to make sure there's no salt down before I take it out in the spring so it's not driven year round.

Alright, I know this sounds like an infomercial so far, but stick with me. I just finished taking the final pics to post on in the classifieds section. I checked with Edmunds.com, TMV to see if the prices were where I thought they were. I am a car geek so I have a pretty good sense of value. The Private Party TMV for this 9/10 car? $11,929.

"Yeah, I feel your pain. But, that's what these things go for."

The TMV on a stripped 2012 Corolla with 33K miles is $12,000.

My daughter will get her permit soon. I don't want her to be the spoiled blonde rich kid driving a Jag to high school, otherwise I'd keep it for her. But, I'm telling you, selling this car is making me nauseated.

Thanks for listening. I know that only other Jaguar owners would understand.

I'm not posting an ad till I get some feedback about this problem.

Attached Thumbnails Honest Help: TMV and Prices-imgp7030.jpg  

Last edited by LivewireRacing; 06-20-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

My (3) daughters all drove jaguars to high school. Let her drive it and then you have the ability to take it when you please.... They are safe, comfortable and you are at or about the bottom of the price cycle so there is little to lose by keeping it. Also, if you want one in the future it will likely cost you more to find an example as well taken care of as this one.

The following users liked this post:
LivewireRacing (06-22-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I bought my 2002 XKR about five years ago on a whim on an ebay auction for about $15,000. This was less than I paid at about the same time for a salvage/rebuilt 2002 Toyota Camry with a 4 cylinder engine for my daughter. I had been looking to replace a car for my son when I bought the XKR, and he didn't want to drive it. I was hoping he'd say that cause I wanted to have my first convertible. Fast forward to today, I will pass 150,000 miles in the next few days, car still looks like new, drives better than it did when I bought it, and because of the mileage is worth maybe $10K. What on earth could you get your daughter that could approach the value, style, safety, fun, attractiveness..........If it has been reliable and maintained well, it has tens of thousands of miles and many years left in it to enjoy. Have you asked your daughter if she'd be willing to drive it to school? The only drawback I can figure, is that you'll have to see the results of all the little dings and bruises that happen in school parking lots as most teens don't go through the painstakingly careful process of finding the perfect parking space that all of us "older" car guys do. That might hurt. Otherwise, what a wonderful vehicle to be able to enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails Honest Help: TMV and Prices-dscf0524-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 06-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Oh, and by the way, my son who didn't want to drive the 2002 XKR, chose instead to drive our 2002 XK8 which he still drives today. So, my kid did drive a Jag to school and drives it downtown to law school every day.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,809 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Paul, Your great write-up reminded me of something. Everyone seems to have one car they know they shouldn't have sold, but did for some reason. Mine was a 1970 428 Cobra Jet convertible 4 speed Mustang. When I bought her, I had "old men" (they must have been in their 40's or 50's:-)) tell me about their 1 car they shouldn't have sold and advise me to hold on to it. Mechanics would drop their tools and come out to oogle when I filled up! Despite all that I finally sold it for a song. Over the years I kept looking at the auto auctions on TV in trepidation of the day I saw her on the block for $100K plus. Well ironically I did finally find it, in a car museam in Florida! Long story, but the truth is, net worth notwithstanding, I wouldn't think of trading my XK8 for that Mustang period. I can hear it in your description - you dont want to sell it, I wouldn't. You will be smiling about this decision many years down the road. John

Old 06-20-2014, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 682 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
Everyone seems to have one car they know they shouldn't have sold, but did for some reason.
Mine was a 1969 E-type OTS. Still miss that car. It is what drew me to the XK8.

Don't sell yours if you don't have to. It already sounds like you're regretting it.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:40 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I have to agree with every single post above mine.

On the other hand " 'Tis better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all."

That being said driving a jaguar to school could make a ton of enemies for your daughter and depending on how she is able to handle that it could make her high school years miserable.

In your shoes I would find any alternative to parting ways with your xk8 and maybe finding an old beater to be her first car.

After all your first car isn't supposed to work haha That will keep her motivated to stay in school and pursue higher learning so she won't ever have to drive around in a miserable rot-box (with no air conditioning, of course )

An added bonus to an old beater is you wont have to worry about the inevitable dents and scratches she is bound to get while learning to drive and finding a sturdy vehicle to keep her safe shouldn't to hard.

Imagine a roll over with the convertible? These cars don't have the modern roll over protection bars.

Just my opinion.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Enemies? For driving a Jaguar? I just can't see it.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 752 Posts

Pre-Med student driving a Jag here. No such thing as enemies for driving what I drive. If she's mature enough, she won't make a big deal out of it. I try to baby my car, but scratches and dents are inevitable.

If I were you. Keep the Jag, get her something else for less money. Don't buy her a Corolla.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Paul, keep the XK8, they don't make them any more, total production numbers were low and prices have stabilized on the older models. This car will be a classic in not to many years.

I have an 03 same color as yours but with a dark green roof, I really like the tan roof on yours, want to trade?

Old 06-20-2014, 11:43 PM
Received 141 Likes on 79 Posts
Default what color is that car.

Really nice looking car!.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I drove my XK140MC drop head coupe to high school in my senior year. I parked her away from the student lot to protect her, but had to sell her since I couldn't afford to do some repair work needed to keep her running. Sold her for $1,200 in 1964, about 10% of value today.
It's now one of many cars I wish I had been able to keep.
My advice: hold on to the Jag. As some fall by the wayside due to wrecks and "demolition by neglect" they will eventually rise in value.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Default Seafrost

Originally Posted by scottatl
Really nice looking car!.
It wasn't a color I could've imagined liking. Most of the time people see in in the sun and ask if it's blue. It's a light pearl green.

Thanks for all the good comments. Here in a modest Midwest suburb, this car would stand out, for the wrong reasons. Years ago, I gave my perfect Subaru Legacy to my wife's nephew. Like my other cars, it was perfect. I'd put WRX wheels on it and it looked nice, not trashy, and ran perfectly. Two years later, two of the wheels were missing, replaced with steel ones, the rear was bashed in so the trunk wouldn't close. He smoked and the interior was clapped out. It would've been better to have sold the thing and given him some cash. My daughter, a kind and responsible person, would never abuse the XK8. But, there are NO door dings on this 10 year old car and I know it would get beat up in the school parking lot.

Good points about the safety of a cage versus a convertible. Now that I know which cars have passed the minimal overlap crash test at the IIHS it will have to be a top rated car she drives. Thinking about a a few year old Volvo S60.

Again, thanks for the feedback. The wood, the leather, the growl of the V8, man I love this car.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by preuss2
I drove my XK140MC drop head coupe to high school in my senior year. I parked her away from the student lot to protect her, but had to sell her since I couldn't afford to do some repair work needed to keep her running. Sold her for $1,200 in 1964, about 10% of value today.
Just wondering where I can buy a XK140 for $12,000.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Paul,
I hope you don't sell the XK8, it sounds like you love the car and would regret it quickly. If you do sell it make sure it goes to a good home. It's a beauty and should be treated properly.

LivewireRacing (06-25-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 11:41 AM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Paul, do not sell the car!!

I did not have the means to buy my children cars to drive to school. They had to drive my old small pickup truck that I could fix myself. The damages from school parking lots after four years are unreal, including two accidents.

With the girls in college, I am considering selling my XK8 as well, since it is all more than I can really afford. But, I have a very big problem selling the XK8. I have sold a BMW car many years back, and an old classic Suzuki recently that I still regret selling every single day.

My suggestion to you is to buy your daughter an older car that is cheaper to buy, insure, and on property taxes. You can always reconsider your options later, but you cannot reconsider selling the Jag when it is not there any more.

Just my 2c...

LivewireRacing (06-25-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Not real sure I trust that TMV function any more than I trust CarFax to be a reliable indicator of issues with a vehicle. Unfortunately, though, the reality is that the masses only think of Jaguar in terms of the days where Lucas, The Prince of Darkness reigned supreme. As such, values are inflicted mortal wounds...

On the bright side, for those of us looking to add to a parade of kitties, it means there are steals to be had and, ironically, those same masses that hold incorrect images of Jaguar reputations think we spent a fortune on them.

LivewireRacing (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 04:59 PM
Default The Ad is On Craigslist

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4544990519.html.

So, I took the car to Aristocrat Motors. They appraised it at $10,000 for a trade in, even less than Edmunds TMV. Looked like a private sale was the way to go. I crafted my best Craigslist ad along with pics. I showed her to a man yesterday who wants it and got a call from another guy, three hours away who wants it. As I got all the paperwork together, my lovely bride came up to me and said, "Why don't you keep it and sell the Mercedes. We can get a 4X4 to use on the property. I can't see you selling this car. In a year, you'll be looking for an identical one." Smart woman.

(I already pulled the Craigslist ad.)

Thanks for all your help guys. Here's to XK8 love, and a woman who understands.

Attached Thumbnails Honest Help: TMV and Prices-imgp7030.jpg   Honest Help: TMV and Prices-imgp7038.jpg  
Old 07-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 682 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by LivewireRacing
As I got all the paperwork together, my lovely bride came up to me and said, "Why don't you keep it and sell the Mercedes. We can get a 4X4 to use on the property. I can't see you selling this car. In a year, you'll be looking for an identical one." Smart woman.
You sir have found a keeper.

LivewireRacing (07-16-2014)
Old 07-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
You sir have found a keeper.
Congrats on the decision to keep the car--the obvious right choice. When it comes to cars my wife, unfortunately, forms no attachment to cars--especially the odd-ball ones that I end up getting for my use.

Doug

LivewireRacing (07-16-2014)