XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Hood (Bonnet) Removal Steps Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood (Bonnet) Removal Steps Please

I've done my search, and whenever I get close, I end up with how to put the hood into the service position. I need to remove my hood for sale, and would appreciate any help on the proper steps that I need to follow for removal. sam

Old 12-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

It's not too difficult, but you will need a partner.

Have a place to put the bonnet ready, as it is awkward and heavier than you might think.

Put the bonnet in the service position, with the gas struts disconnected. Loosen the six bolts on the hinges enough that you can remove them by hand, but don't take them out yet. Get your partner to support one side while you support the other and remove the bolts. There is one bolt with a ground strap attached so just be mindful to not get tangled up with it.

If your arms are wide an alternative method is for one person to hold the bonnet from in front while the other removes the bolts.

If it is an XKR bonnet, then you can also remove the vents and use the holes as handles, but gloves are recommended as the stamping edge is kind of sharp.

When you put it back try to align the paint marks as a starting point and be very careful when lowering it the first time as it is possible to have an interference on one side or the other. Adjustment is a matter of loosening bolts and moving it around slightly on the hinges. Small corrections multiple times work best are as you will need to adjust the front gap to the bumper as well as the fender gap front to rear.

Good luck.

And while it is off, if you want to do something a little nicer for a hood liner, I highly recommend: Hoodliners.net