XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Hood Hyrdaulics

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2024 | 11:16 PM
|
Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hood Hyrdaulics

So, it's happened. Green pools now appearing my interior lights. Has anyone tried fixing the latch hose rather than tearing the entire car apart? Thinking in-line field connectors like those from Valvehalla.com or Hydraulic Hoses.com or phparker.com?

I have only had the car two months and just about everything is failing! It's becoming a real money pit...

Thank you.

Old 10-07-2024 | 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 541 Likes on 388 Posts

Jaguar themselves supplied a kit to replace the latch hoses with a short hose that spliced into the original hose in the footwell in an attempt to save money on warranty repairs. It didn't work.

If you want to save money, you can convert the roof latch into manual operation. Try this thread for details:-

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eration-89085/

The following users liked this post:
LMG (10-07-2024)
Old 10-07-2024 | 01:26 PM
|

If I bought a set of hoses could a regular decent local independent shop do this for a reasonable cost? (Thought I poll here before asking them.)
Or just how difficult is it do yourself? I have lots of tools and am mechanically minded, but by no means a car pro. Lawn tractors and a golf cart are more my level!

Old 10-07-2024 | 01:36 PM
|
Smile

Originally Posted by dibbit
Jaguar themselves supplied a kit to replace the latch hoses with a short hose that spliced into the original hose in the footwell in an attempt to save money on warranty repairs. It didn't work.

If you want to save money, you can convert the roof latch into manual operation. Try this thread for details:-

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eration-89085/
Thank you but I would like it working. I am that way with things... they should work!

Old 10-07-2024 | 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,413 Likes on 2,882 Posts

Wayne (cjd777) and I replaced his 2000 XK8's rear hydraulic lines back in March/April 2015. He ordered the new lines from Top Hydraulics and also sent them his rams for them to refurbish. We worked in tandem, Wayne on one side of the car and me on the other side. Not a bad DIY job, it just takes a while because you wind up removing nearly 100 parts so you must make room to store them in proper order for the reassembly. We took pictures and took good handwritten notes along the way because reassembly was a full three weeks after disassembly so there would have been a lot to remember without our notes. I really enjoyed the job because I was working in tandem with Wayne and learned a great deal along the way....

After we finished, we did a complete start-to-finish write-up of the job along with a few photos. It is probably still posted somewhere here on the XK8 forum....

Last edited by Jon89; 10-07-2024 at 02:50 PM.
Don B (Yesterday)
Old 10-07-2024 | 03:47 PM
Received 8,331 Likes on 5,030 Posts

I actually removed a 'failed' set of Jaguar short repair hoses that start at the 'A' pillar and continue to the hydraulic cylinder.
I still have them somewhere. It was a failed experiment and I would not suggest trying that repair.

Don B (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 02:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Wayne (cjd777) and I replaced his 2000 XK8's rear hydraulic lines back in March/April 2015. He ordered the new lines from Top Hydraulics and also sent them his rams for them to refurbish. We worked in tandem, Wayne on one side of the car and me on the other side. Not a bad DIY job, it just takes a while because you wind up removing nearly 100 parts so you must make room to store them in proper order for the reassembly. We took pictures and took good handwritten notes along the way because reassembly was a full three weeks after disassembly so there would have been a lot to remember without our notes. I really enjoyed the job because I was working in tandem with Wayne and learned a great deal along the way....

After we finished, we did a complete start-to-finish write-up of the job along with a few photos. It is probably still posted somewhere here on the XK8 forum....
I've often wondered about whether the new hoses could be routed under the car, rather than through it. It would certainly save on removing so much of the interior.

Old Yesterday | 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 772 Likes on 390 Posts

I've often wondered about whether the new hoses could be routed under the car, rather than through it. It would certainly save on removing so much of the interior.
Way too susceptible to damage, IMO
WJ

Old Yesterday | 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wymjym
Way too susceptible to damage, IMO
WJ
You'd obviously run the hoses inside tubes to protect them. The brake lines are under the car and they survive.

dfbender (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 10:38 AM
Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

You'd obviously run the hoses inside tubes to protect them. The brake lines are under the car and they survive.

I think this is worth exploring. The one issue I see is the length of the hoses might be a little short going on the undercarriage and then up through the trunk, etc.

Old Yesterday | 11:29 PM
|

Thank you. I am in contact with Wayne re: strut mounts already. I'll ask if he has the notes (or knows where they are on here)!