XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Hood Louvers

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Hood Louvers

I found a set of XKR hood louvers and am thinking about having them installed on the XK8. Wondering if there's any conflict with space under the hood, problems with making openings in the hood, dirt getting in the engine compartment thru the vents or anything else.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Mark
I found a set of XKR hood louvers and am thinking about having them installed on the XK8. Wondering if there's any conflict with space under the hood, problems with making openings in the hood, dirt getting in the engine compartment thru the vents or anything else.
Not a huge issue, but there is typically a bit more oxidizing and weathering of underhood plastics and corrosion of fasteners due to increased the exposure to water and sunlight on the XKRs.

The following users liked this post:
Skid Mark (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

The hood/bonnet frame is a little different on the XK8, there is a section of it that will go straight across where the vent should go, just cut it out, look at it as a weight saving exercise rather than compromising the strength.

I have seen this done before and the vents sit proud about 1/8", no biggie really I would call it acceptable.

Have fun

Skid Mark (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I was worried about water getting onto belts ect..but no problem

Skid Mark (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone, appreciate the comments. I'm thinking that with the heat blanket between the engine compartment and the grilles, the dirt and dust will probably get captured in the blanket. The moisture from driving in the rain would soak into the blanket but wouldn't the continous heat from the engine keep it dry? Not an ideal situation, but better that having it all come inside the compartment?

Since the location of the grills is open to suggestion, what do you think of this placement?

This does place the grills directly over the support structure for the radiator, etc. Less vertical space there than the stock location nearer to the engine.

Approximate stock location:

Old 10-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Skidmark
The hood liner is cutout for the louvers, the purpose is to vent the engine compartment to release the air, that's why they're vented backwards instead of forward. I make a point of treating the valve covers and all plastic items under the hood and my cars eleven years old and they look like new. I have seen discolored valve covers and air boxes in a lot of XKR's faded from exposure. Your vents look shorter than the factory vents. Very little dirt enters while your driving. It's a different situation if the cars parked outside a lot. Also there is a post about stainless mesh being cut for the vents in another post, and I believe XKRacer sells the stainless mesh pre-cut for them.

I suspect over the pond when you say they sit proud is that they set a little high on the hood the XKR hood has a recess for the vents so they sit down flush. Personally I wouldn't do it unless you flanged your hole so the vents will sit flush. Then you'd be looking at a repaint on the hood. Good luck

Last edited by RCSign; 10-19-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Skid Mark (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

It is not that easy to french the vents in, I have done it, but with a different type of vent as the cost far out weighs the cost of buying an original XKR hood.

Just sitting the vents on the hood is cheap, you cut the holes a little paint on the edges, bobs yer uncle, big $$$ for anything else!

Skid Mark (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RCSign
Skidmark
The hood liner is cutout for the louvers, the purpose is to vent the engine compartment to release the air, that's why they're vented backwards instead of forward. I make a point of treating the valve covers and all plastic items under the hood and my cars eleven years old and they look like new. I have seen discolored valve covers and air boxes in a lot of XKR's faded from exposure. Your vents look shorter than the factory vents. Very little dirt enters while your driving. It's a different situation if the cars parked outside a lot. Also there is a post about stainless mesh being cut for the vents in another post, and I believe XKRacer sells the stainless mesh pre-cut for them.

I suspect over the pond when you say they sit proud is that they set a little high on the hood the XKR hood has a recess for the vents so they sit down flush. Personally I wouldn't do it unless you flanged your hole so the vents will sit flush. Then you'd be looking at a repaint on the hood. Good luck
Thanks RCSign, I had thought the vents were to help the supercharger induct more air, but now I understand they flow the other way to help keep the engine compartment cooler. That's good, it means I can leave the blanket uncut, and the elements will stay out of the engine compartment.

Those louvers in the picture are photos I printed out to do a mock up, so they are smaller, yes. I'll talk to the body shop and see what they say about flanging the louver openings. I was going to use this as an opportunity to have the hood repainted if the costs worked out, so that will be part of the discussion.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XKRacer
It is not that easy to french the vents in, I have done it, but with a different type of vent as the cost far out weighs the cost of buying an original XKR hood.

Just sitting the vents on the hood is cheap, you cut the holes a little paint on the edges, bobs yer uncle, big $$$ for anything else!
That's certianly an option, Tony. Do you happen to have a photo of the vents sitting proud on a XK8 hood after a conversion? Would help the decision making!

Old 10-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I think you should put the vents in exactly the same position as on the real thing, otherwise it's going to look weird.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Frog
I think you should put the vents in exactly the same position as on the real thing, otherwise it's going to look weird.
I agree, Frog. I went on AutoTrader after I posted and looked at some XKR's for sale and found I liked the stock postion a great deal. I was just moving the louver print outs around and experimenting some.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you have to be careful with this position. The vents are meant to expel heat from the engine bay which is really warm air forced through the radiator. If you place the grills directly over the support structure for the radiator it may force air out before it goes through the radiator which is not good.

Since the location of the grills is open to suggestion, what do you think of this placement?

This does place the grills directly over the support structure for the radiator, etc. Less vertical space there than the stock location nearer to the engine.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

That's certianly an option, Tony. Do you happen to have a photo of the vents sitting proud on a XK8 hood after a conversion? Would help the decision making!

I thought I did but I looked high and low and no joy...

But

I then remembered I fitted a pair to my XJS Monaco.... Hey presto!

I changed the color, I really liked the purple but it is a bit of a marmite color sooo

This is how it is now

Old 10-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I thought I did but I looked high and low and no joy...

But

I then remembered I fitted a pair to my XJS Monaco.... Hey presto!

I changed the color, I really liked the purple but it is a bit of a marmite color sooo

This is how it is now

Thanks Tony, they really look good. Think I'll be alright with them sitting proud! That car is an interresting modification. Did you do that in your shop?

Old 10-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

I did that car about 12years ago....... at one time it did have an XKR engine with a Dodge Viper 6 speed manual tranny.......

As you can see I have been doing this a long time, you might of also noticed the XK door mirrors and handles

Old 10-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure it's a good idea to leave the liner uncut. It's going to get wet and deteriorate. Water does not seem to be a problem for the Rs and I can't believe it will be for an 8...unless perhaps your car spends a lot of time out in the weather. The location of the vents on the R appears to keep the water off of anything critical...electical, etc..

Skid Mark (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by govatos
Not sure it's a good idea to leave the liner uncut. It's going to get wet and deteriorate. Water does not seem to be a problem for the Rs and I can't believe it will be for an 8...unless perhaps your car spends a lot of time out in the weather. The location of the vents on the R appears to keep the water off of anything critical...electical, etc..
I agree, leaving the liner uncut will just trap moisture, destroy the liner and might even accelerate corrosion on the underside of the hood (bonnet).

Skid Mark (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I agree, leaving the liner uncut will just trap moisture, destroy the liner and might even accelerate corrosion on the underside of the hood (bonnet).
Mmmm, makes sense when you explain it that way. It does stay in its garage whenever possible, but even so I'll have them cut something identical to the hood openings into the liner. Thank you, gentlemen.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:15 AM
Veteran member

I would be happy to send you a few high-resolution images of my hood/bonnet, inside and out, if you think it might help you get the position right.

In exchange, can you send me a photo of the expression on your face just as you are about to cut the hole with a jigsaw

Old 10-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Veteran member

OK, I received a couple of PM requests for the photos, so here ya go. Let me know if you want any specific angles, etc.

They are fairly large images, so you will need to click on the yellow bar at the top of each one to display the original size.

Skid Mark (10-20-2011)

Quick Reply: Hood Louvers