XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

HOW TO: Add a switch to manually lower the antenna (video) FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,262 Likes on 565 Posts
Old 10-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Another XK8 no longer sings in the wind.

Thanks to Sam and WhiteXKR another XK8 no longer has a 200 foot aerial unless it's necessary!

I've attached a photo of my 99 XK8's connector layout at the rear of the console. The connector you want is the white one on the lower right (left side of car but photo is facing rearward). As WhiteXKR pointed out, it is the wire going into pin 14 where you want to splice the switch.

Many thanks to all of you in this forum who are so willing to share your skills and knowledge.

Very sincerely,
Scott J
beg3yrs

Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: Add a switch to manually lower the antenna (video) FAQ-img_9356.jpg  
Old 10-08-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Sam that's fascinating. The IC2 connector in Paul's picture is on top while mine is on the bottom. Same pin though. I think the difference is the premium sound in Paul's layout while mine is standard.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

Resurrecting this thread has made me realise that since I first did this mod 6 months ago, I haven't actually used the switch to put the aerial up once. This is a good thing and shows how unnecessary the 200' aerial was for me

Old 10-09-2011, 05:18 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

done it!great idea

Old 10-09-2011, 05:37 AM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts
Default 2001 XJR, no connector?

FWIW, I still cannot find the connector or the green/black tracer wire anywhere in the console on my 2001 XJR.

I really don't want to tear into the dash yet, anyone know where I can find it, other than in the boot leading to the power antenna?
Vector

Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vector
FWIW, I still cannot find the connector or the green/black tracer wire anywhere in the console on my 2001 XJR.

I really don't want to tear into the dash yet, anyone know where I can find it, other than in the boot leading to the power antenna?
Vector
I just noticed you have an XJR, not an XKR. I looked at the JTIS for your car and it doesn't look like there's a connector under the center console you can tap into. The wire might run through the center console, i'm not sure if it does or not, but there are a couple of other places where you can find the connector. The first is in the trunk below the parcel shelf on the right side. That's a 54 pin connector that is grey. That one is a "through panel" connector, so I assume one side of the connector is on one side of a panel and the other side is on the other side of a panel. The next connector is under the left hand heelboard. It's a white, 14 pin connector. I believe that the "heelboard" is the stiff, carpet covered piece that goes from the floor of the car up to the center console. It looks like the wire leaves the radio, goes to that connector under the heelboard, then goes all the way back to the trunk without going through any other connectors. You're still looking for a green wire with a black stripe, but it doesn't go through any connectors directly under the center console. I believe the wire passes through there, so if that's where you want to tap into it, just cut open the wire bundles until you find a green and black wire. Clip that wire, and if the antenna lowers you know you found the right one. If it doesn't lower, then use a butt splice to reconnect it and look for another green and black wire.

Last edited by Reverend Sam; 10-13-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 287 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Antenna UP on demand for Satellite thru FM?

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
But wait...we need some idiotproofing...the antenna should go back up automatically when you switch to AM/FM.
Howdy Folks:
I'm thinking more like going DOWN automatically and staying down until the next rare occasion that I want to listen to radio other than Satellite thru FM. I have had the ANT MTR fuse pulled since April because it does not affect satellite or CD operation. I do not like the antenna wind noise when the top is down.
My attached circuit assumes that the antenna motor will default to DOWN when a signal is not present on the G-B wire. If I am wrong, please straighten me out.
(see attached proposed circuit)
Basically, this is a latching relay with one set of contacts replacing the toggle switch mod. If momentary pushbutton 2 is pressed while the radio is on, the antenna will go up and stay up until the key (or radio) is turned off. Momentary pushbutton 1 allows you to lower and keep lowered the antenna before you turn the key off. Once the antenna is down, it stays down regardless until the next "on demand" press of PB2 (provided the radio is indeed on). The relay can be something like a Radio Shack 12v 5a DPDT for ~$7. The 1N4004 diode is to protect the Jag electronics from reverse field collapse voltage.
My question to you folks that have installed the toggle switch is :
When you have the radio on and the antenna is UP, then flip the switch, does the antenna motor default to the FULL down position even if you turn the key off before it is completely down? If your reply is YES, then I think that I have what I want to happen.
Any comments or criticism appreciated
Many thanks

Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: Add a switch to manually lower the antenna (video) FAQ-antenna-up-demand.jpg  

Last edited by Dr. D; 10-10-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dr. D
When you have the radio on and the antenna is UP, then flip the switch, does the antenna motor default to the FULL down position even if you turn the key off before it is completely down? If your reply is YES, then I think that I have what I want to happen.
The answer to that question is YES. The antenna requires power to stay up. Remove the power and it automatically retracts.

I'm still trying to digest the schematic. Not sure if it will work or not.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

OK, I see what you're doing, but why have two separate buttons when you can do the exact same thing with a single latching button with no relay?

Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 PM

OK, I see what you're doing, but why have two separate buttons when you can do the exact same thing with a single latching button with no relay?
When I turn the key to OFF. I have in effect, automatically slid the "toggle switch" to OFF without thinking or opening the console. PB1 is there for very rare usage when I want to deactivate the relay without having to stop and turn the key off. Do you agree that it is not the exact same thing?

Old 10-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

When I turn the key to OFF. I have in effect, automatically slid the "toggle switch" to OFF without thinking or opening the console. PB1 is there for very rare usage when I want to deactivate the relay without having to stop and turn the key off. Do you agree that it is not the exact same thing?
So the purpose of the circuit is to prevent the antenna from ever rising unless you specifically push the PB2 button, and PB1 will lower it if you decide to switch from the radio back to satellite. The circuit will work, but if you decide to do it, use a three position momentary rocker switch, that way it's a single switch rather than two separate switches.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:51 PM

So the purpose of the circuit is to prevent the antenna from ever rising unless you specifically push the PB2 button, and PB1 will lower it if you decide to switch from the radio back to satellite. The circuit will work, but if you decide to do it, use a three position momentary rocker switch, that way it's a single switch rather than two separate switches.
Correct. I should have clarified that both push buttons are momentary. I will look into a sgl rocker switch. I was glad to read that you answered my original question with a YES.
Thank You

Old 10-12-2011, 11:07 PM

Correct. I should have clarified that both push buttons are momentary. I will look into a sgl rocker switch. Thank You
The single switch is a challenge to me, but I have not found an OTC one that allows the (nc) pole to remain closed when I close the (no) pole. Also, I am looking at the challenge of installing the switch on the wall just in front of where the lighter is. (mine is pulled and stored in the glove box. Ergonomically, it fits me to take my thumb pointed down, then open the lighter door, and finally with my thumb just at the top of the lighter opening,move my thumb forward and feel a momentary switch on that wall that when I move it up, the Ant. goes up and if I move it down, it goes down.
I watched the console removal video, but as of yet, I have neither removed the console or console box. I am in playtime mode but I will have to make time to work on this.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

I am not sure if I see the point of the additional complexity of this circuit over the toggle switch...either way you require a single manual action to control the antenna.

Just mount a subminiature toggle switch outside the console if you do not want to open the console up to switch. I remember that someone did that in the front of the console where it was essentially invisible in one of the other antenna posts and it looked great.

Ahhh, here it is...post #2: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...antenna-24564/

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 10-13-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Just mount a subminiature toggle switch outside the console if you do not want to open the console up to switch. I remember that someone did that in the front of the console where it was essentially invisible in one of the other antenna posts and it looked great.

Ahhh, here it is...post #2: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...antenna-24564/
I like that location. I did not even see it from the drivers view and it should make for an easier install.
I am still leaning toward the relay setup because I like the automatic off and stay off feature when the ignition key is turned off. I understand that my setup may only be desirable (if then) to satellite or cd junkies and that the toggle switch is more practical for most folks.
Thanks for the location tip.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:47 PM

OK Folks:
Here is what I did. The wife and I went to Radio Shack last night. I was down on my hands and knees looking through the component drawers. As I found each thing on my list, I handed it to my wife. Well, when I got to the "conventional toggle switch", it was like the Rev & WhiteXKR were looking over my shoulder. It was then that I "came to my senses" about just how practical that switch would be for me. I handed her the 275-0624 switch that I did purchase and told her to give me back all the other $10 or so of paraphernalia to put back in the drawers.
Today, after I installed the switch of which I am perfectly content, my wife asked if I was going to post a photo of it on the forum. I told her no, that I would have to eat crow if I did after being so hard-headed about my relay circuit.
Later, after thinking about it, I decided to post this reply because you guys are willing to help anyone, including those who are a little on the hard-headed side like me.
Thanks (and thanks for saving me another $10)
(Here's my pic)

Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: Add a switch to manually lower the antenna (video) FAQ-ant-sw.jpg  
Old 10-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

when I got to the "conventional toggle switch", it was like the Rev & WhiteXKR were looking over my shoulder.
LOL....I just happen to be vacationing in NC this week....

Nice stealthy job...looks great!

Old 10-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

OK Folks:
Here is what I did. The wife and I went to Radio Shack last night. I was down on my hands and knees looking through the component drawers. As I found each thing on my list, I handed it to my wife. Well, when I got to the "conventional toggle switch", it was like the Rev & WhiteXKR were looking over my shoulder. It was then that I "came to my senses" about just how practical that switch would be for me. I handed her the 275-0624 switch that I did purchase and told her to give me back all the other $10 or so of paraphernalia to put back in the drawers.
Today, after I installed the switch of which I am perfectly content, my wife asked if I was going to post a photo of it on the forum. I told her no, that I would have to eat crow if I did after being so hard-headed about my relay circuit.
Later, after thinking about it, I decided to post this reply because you guys are willing to help anyone, including those who are a little on the hard-headed side like me.
Thanks (and thanks for saving me another $10)
(Here's my pic)
Holy cow! Is your car brand new or do you have a servant that details it for you after every drive?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:27 PM

OK Folks:
Here is what I did. The wife and I went to Radio Shack last night. I was down on my hands and knees
Could have sworn that was heading elsewhere.

Something like begging for a big screen tv. I should know how that goes, my online moniker indicates my experience.

Great pic, very subtle, just like a Jaguar should be.

The following users liked this post:
Dr. D (07-12-2020)

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Add a switch to manually lower the antenna (video) FAQ