XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

HOW TO: Cleaning the Wheel Speed Sensors FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014 | 08:47 AM

OK, I think I might have (at least) started to fix the issue...

As I couldn't get the front wheel speed sensors (or as my local official Jaguar garage called them, ABS sensors) off, I took it to a local (non Jag) garage, who managed to get them off, clean them, clean all around the area and now the car seems to drive fine, with no flashing DSC warning light, and no limp mode...

However, the ABS and DSC lights are still on, but I don't seem to have any issues with the car itself in terms of driving...

Could it be that these lights simply need to be reset? Once they are on, only a reset (by a Jag diagnostic tool, or similar) will switch them off?

I do have an AutoEnginuity OBD kit, which I believe has the ability to switc off warning lights...would it be safe/a good idea to switch these warning lights off, seeing as the car seems to be driving fine now?

Thanks for all the help!

Kevin

Old 05-03-2014 | 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

They should go off by themselves after driving a bit, but clearing them is OK.

If they come back, then there is still an issue somewhere.

Old 05-03-2014 | 11:20 AM

That could be a good indication of whether the problem is fixed, or whether it has merely been "postponed"...I'll get the warning lights turned off, and see if they re-appear...

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2014 | 01:49 PM

Cleaned my WSS today, thanks to SAM for the details on the best way to do the task.
I did coat the bolts in copper slip though to ease getting them out next year.
Also washed the four tone rings of any debris.

Last edited by smithtrevor; 05-03-2014 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-04-2014 | 11:41 AM

OK guys, here are the results of my wheel speed sensor cleans, and AutoEnginuity dignostics...hopefully, it might shed some light on my issues!

Timeline:

1. I cleaned my rear wheel speed sensors, and had no effect on my problem.
2. Took to my local (non Jag) mechanic, who removed and cleaned the front wheel speed sensors, which seemed to fix the issue I had, but the warning lights remained on.

The first picture is a photo (sorry about the quality) of the AutoEnginuity diagnostic after the front wheel sensor cleaning, but before I cleared the fault data using the AutoEnginuity tool.

I then cleared the fault data and the second photo is after a new scan using the AutoEnginuity...

So, thoughts anyone? Are the faults likely to come back, and have I simply masked the problem?

Much appreciated

Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: Cleaning the Wheel Speed Sensors FAQ-pre-clear.jpg   HOW TO: Cleaning the Wheel Speed Sensors FAQ-post-clear.jpg  
Old 05-04-2014 | 02:18 PM

You will not get any new codes until you take the car for a drive, the ECU monitors the engine by it's RPM and the chassis from the WSS. Take it for a 10mile drive & then re-scan with your DTC tool.

Old 05-04-2014 | 02:35 PM

I'll do that later, thanks...do you think the codes listed on the initial scan look like they would have caused my issues?

I'll see what happens after my drive and re-scan.

Thanks

Old 05-04-2014 | 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

I must add this comment to the "Cleaning WSS" dialogue:

For many months it seemed that cleaning my WSSs did make a difference. However, I had other weird symptoms - such as the ABS/DSC warnings coming up when I made a sharp turn while backing the car.

What I finally figured out was that is wasn't the cleaning the WSS that was making a difference, it was re-connecting it! Apparently, the electrical contact inside the connector wasn't completely reliable, and after a few weeks of driving, the connector would dislodge ever so slightly and start giving me warnings again. The cleanliness of the sensors had nothing to do with the onset of warnings.

To fix this, I very, very, very carefully bent the pins in the sensor just a little. Then I carefully replaced the connector, making sure that the pins were entering their little sockets and not being crushed. I did this several months ago and haven't had a problem since.

Old 05-04-2014 | 02:42 PM

That does sound like it makes perfect sense, and should my issues come back, I will certainly give it some thought...Thanks

Old 05-04-2014 | 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kmmoore1013
I'll do that later, thanks...do you think the codes listed on the initial scan look like they would have caused my issues?
I'll see what happens after my drive and re-scan.
Thanks
I'm confused. If you cleared the Codes, the P1111 would change to P1000.

The P1000 would change to P1111 only after a Drive Cycle.

Your post indicates that the P1111 is present before a New Drive Cycle?

Old 05-04-2014 | 02:52 PM

Hmmm...you're not as confused as me!!

I am not really sure about codes changing, but basically, I was running the engine, scanned using the OBD and it returned the first set of results.

I then hit the "clear fault list" button on the OBD kit, and switched the engine off.

I then re-started the engine, and re-ran the scan. The result was the second picture (and my ABS light was now off).

I haven't actually driven the car during the whole process...merely started it.

Old 05-04-2014 | 04:06 PM

Drive the car, re scan for DTC's & report back here so we can help you further.

Old 05-05-2014 | 10:52 AM

OK, drove the car, and the ABS & DSC warnings came on within a few seconds....Not too surprised by that!

Here is a photo of the re-scan after the drive...

So, could I deduce from the re-scan that the issue appears to be with the Front Right Wheel Speed Sensor?

My next step (if this seems like the correct step?) is to buy a single WSS and replace the front right and then clear the warning lights and drive the car and re-scan...

Does that sound like the obvious thing to do?

To make it easier, does anyone know what the part number if for a 2003 XKR wheel speed sensor?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: Cleaning the Wheel Speed Sensors FAQ-post-drive.jpg  
Old 05-05-2014 | 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't buy a $en$or yet. Bad wiring can mimic a bad sensor, is more common, and a lot cheaper.

Swap the LF and RF sensors, clear the codes and drive some more. If the fault stays where it is, the wiring is the prime suspect. If the fault moves with the sensor, that's the bad guy.

Good luck.

Last edited by Dennis07; 05-05-2014 at 11:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Norri (05-05-2014)
Old 05-05-2014 | 11:13 AM

Smart thinking! I will do that tomorrow...though not sure what I will do if it is the wiring that is at fault! At least I can easily replace a sensor...

Thanks

Old 05-05-2014 | 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis07
I wouldn't buy a $en$or yet. Bad wiring can mimic a bad sensor, is more common, and a lot cheaper.

Swap the LF and RF sensors, clear the codes and drive some more. If the fault stays where it is, the wiring is the prime suspect. If the fault moves with the sensor, that's the bad guy.

Good luck.
Yep, exactly what i would do....Wiring is not an issue, just a case of following it back to the next connector which will no doubt be in the engine bay somewhere. the poor connection will either be at the WSS plug or the flexi to the WSS.....fixed wiring don't move so it's unlikely to be that.
Report back here after the drive, you've nearly fixed it !!!

Old 05-05-2014 | 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

Don't forget to try that pin-bending thing that fixed my problems. A C-note (or more) for a WSS must be avoided at all costs! (That doesn't make sense - sorry - got carried away)

Old 05-06-2014 | 07:15 AM
Default Check your wires

On mine it was the wires. Similar symptoms, the action of "cleaning" was reconnecting the wires. On inspecting the joint between the wire and the plug, the insulation was open and the wire was not all there!

Jaguar could have added much longevity with a 10 cent strain relief right there, but oh well.

I developed a cheap fix for the wires, if they are bad:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...re-fix-114732/

Marc

Old 05-06-2014 | 01:32 PM

That sounds like another good option Marc, thanks....I won't have a chance now to look at anything until the weekend, so I will report back here once I have swapped the front sensors and taken a look at the cabling...

Hopefully, almost there!

Thanks everyone!

Old 05-28-2014 | 03:56 PM

OK guys, another slight update to the problem (ABS light on and DSC warning with above scan code and warning)...

I replaced the "faulty" right wheel sensor, and now I get the following error message...

C1142 - Front right wheel speed sensor tone ring tooth missing fault

I can't see much (any) info on this...can anyone shed some light on this one please?

Car still drives, but after having cleared the ABS and DSC warnings, they re-appeared after about 10 seconds of driving.

Thanks! I'll get there in the end!!

Cheers,
Kevin

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Cleaning the Wheel Speed Sensors FAQ