XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

HOW TO: Cleaning the Wheel Speed Sensors FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 192 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by stu46h
Who repairs these modules for $200? That's way cheaper than buying new.

Great pictures of the cut open module. Thanks.
Try Module Masters in Moscow, Idaho

Old 06-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reverend Sam - THANK YOU!! I'm looking forward to cleaning my wheel speed sensors this weekend as I am slowly (but surely) going through my cars maintenance requirements (210k miles and still purrs like a, uh, er JAGUAR!)
Very nice way of paying it forward - appreciate it! :-)

Old 06-25-2012, 01:53 PM

thanks great picks and very easy to undwerstand jargon lol

keith xk8 convertable p reg

Old 07-31-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks so much!

Thanks so much for this information. This is something that I am going to be doing soon. A great help!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile ABS still on after removing & cleaning ALL 4 sensors

Hi,

I tried your suggestion, and removed and cleaned ALL 4 wheel sensors.

The ABS is still on, as well as the "TRAC/ASC NOT AVAILABLE".

Do you have any other suggestions?

I have a 2000 XK8

Many thanks,
Yosy

Old 08-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

There are several other things that can cause this, the usual suspects including front sensor wiring flaws, a bad ABS module (repairable), and a weak battery.

Give a look through the FAQs and try the forum search tools. Lots of threads on these topics ... should put you on a steep learning curve.

The following users liked this post:
yosy (08-07-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

This might help JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource The testing and check list was for a 1999 my car but I think it might apply for your car. I hope it helps.

Originally Posted by yosy
Hi,

I tried your suggestion, and removed and cleaned ALL 4 wheel sensors.

The ABS is still on, as well as the "TRAC/ASC NOT AVAILABLE".

Do you have any other suggestions?

I have a 2000 XK8

Many thanks,
Yosy

The following users liked this post:
yosy (08-07-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Many Thanks

Cleaning the sensors was a snap based on your instructions and the problem solved. Now if I can just get the pesky antenna to work properly I'm done (for the moment!)

Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Default New to forum, Trac, ASC and ABS all related ?

Have just bought my first Jag 1 month ago. Already been in shop for "gearbox fault" w/ limp home issue. I replaced TCM. New error message is "Trac not avail" and "ASC not avail" plus ABS light is on. Seems like Trac, ASC, and ABS could all result from these dirty sensors. Does that seem right to assume ?

Old 01-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

It's certainly worth a try...an easy and free procedure. If the car can't detect how fast each wheel is spinning, all sorts of operations are affected.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Keep in mind that weak or dying batteries throw all sorts of spurious messages on these cars. A strong battery is mandatory due to the massive electrical power these cars consume. How old is your battery?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you Sam, this post saved me a lot of time and grief, not to mention money. Excellent information and pictures.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 PM

Reverend Sam - THANK YOU! Your video made it beyond easy to clean the speed sensors.

Thanks to seeing the type of plug and everything, I was actually able to clean my rear speed sensors without removing the wheels. I have the 5 double-spoke wheels on my XKR so I just had to get my hands in two of the openings and get a socket wrench with a 3" extension on the bolt head.

At first I was just doing it because I was too lazy to go get my jack and jack stands, but then I realized it was actually feasible. It probably doesn't really save any time, but if you're too lazy to go get your jack, give it a shot!

Last edited by rpscott; 01-30-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

This might help too if no one posted it already:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ailable-56198/

Some other things I've seen said are:
-make sure brake fluid is topped off
-check coolant reservoir for leaks.

The following 2 users liked this post by artstar:
Nick Wood (06-17-2015), surround (02-12-2014)
Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Feel like I'm jumping in the middle of the ocean without a life jacket without photos. Thanks so much for all this good information. Unfortunately I spent over $600 at an independent mechanic last week to have him work on my "electrical challenges" as it says on the invoice. Believe me... I'll be doing my home work here from now on!

Old 10-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Talking

Thanks Rev Sam! Going to follow your sensor instructions this weekend. I am so happy, or will be.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:56 PM

I was getting the ABS and ASC not available on a daily bases. With the excellent instructions found here I cleaned 3 of the sensors and connectors. The sensor seemed to have shavings attached to it much like a magnet. I was skeptical if a cleaning would work as their was not much to clean of them. I polished the three metal lines on the sensor to a bright shine. I was not able to remove the right rear even after applying penetrating oil and heating them up but will try to clean them in place with a q-tip reaching thru the wheel. I have not had a problem in days.
Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to post solutions and experiences.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Reverend Sam. Great pics. I had the same issue with ABS, ASC and TRAC NOT AVAIL lights remaining on. Just yesterday I decided to remove all wheels which I was a little reluctant to do because I am a 70 year old and need to be mindful about overstraining my back. Well I got through all the cleaning. But the lights still remained on even after driving around for 3 miles. Hooking up my scanner tool showed no codes before and after the cleaning. After returning home I began to review postings on removing the ABS module but decided to let car sit overnight. And somehow like magic,
when I started car the car this morning, no more lights appeared. So it begs the question:
Q1.) Does a certain amount of time has to expire before the diagnostics get reset?
In my case it was about 16 hours letting my car just sit.

Also as I cleaned each sensor, I noticed that there are 3 thin magnet slivers on each sensor. They probably measure 3/8 inch long by 1/32 in. wide, so they are very thin and separated from each by a small gap. Well after wiping with soap and water, I noticed there was still some very faint dark coloring on the magnets. So I took an exacto knife and gently began to scrape away the coloring. With the exacto knife having a metal blade, the magnets attracted the blade to them. But my sense was that the middle magnet of each sensor had the most intense magnetic attraction. The 2 side magnets had less attraction.
Q2.) Did anyone else notice this and does it matter?

My car is a 2000 XJR with 141000 miles purchased new. Thanks again for the fine post.

Last edited by metoymi; 03-07-2014 at 11:48 PM. Reason: misspelled words.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

I don't know what to tell you about the magnets, but I do know that the warning light should clear up after driving just a very short distance. The computer is just checking to see that the pulses from each wheel are coming in at roughly the same speed. On my car I cleaned them a few times and the light always went out within a hundred meters or so.

Perhaps one of the pins in one of the connectors wasn't quite making contact when you plugged them back in. After warming up and cooling down it finally made contact. It's hard to say. Also, down in the hole where the little magnet things go there's a cog wheel type thing which can pick up dirt, too. If your problem comes back then spray some brake cleaner down through those holes to try to clean that cog wheel (it has a name I just forget what it is). It's best if you can do that when the car us up on jacks, that way you can rotate the axle and spray off all of the cog wheel thingy. If I remember correctly, the two front ones can be sprayed off pretty easily from the inboard side of the wheel hub. The two back ones are buried down in a big chunk of metal and you can only spray them off by sticking the sprayer down through the hole from where the wheel speed sensor was removed.

Last edited by Reverend Sam; 03-08-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Differences in 2004-2006 XKR's

A few points to note for those of us with 2004-2005-2006 Model Years -

- It appears that it's a different sensor than the earlier ones. Ours don't have the visible three bars. Also, normal resistance for ours is very high (higher than the 200K my ohmmeter will measure) so you can't test the wiring from the harness at the ABS unit

- We have a different ABS unit to our pre-2004 cousins. Ours is not in JTIS (that I could find) but it appears to be the same one as the 2003 S-Type. More details (including diagnostic procedure) in my other thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...06-xkr-111962/

- All of my wires look bad (boots worn, insulation worn, right at the connector), and one of them came apart in my hand as I was inspecting it. I don't know if it's bad design or one of the joys of living in Texas (heat destroys all rubber). They're $100 to replace each one, so be careful with them.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Cleaning the Wheel Speed Sensors FAQ