XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

How far did you travel to buy your XK8/XKR?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 03:11 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Bought my '97 on Ebay, flew to San Jose (CA) from Las Vegas...something I very rarely ever do. The seller drove the car up from Monterey. The car was not quite as nice as advertised, and beginning with the fact that the headlights would go off every time I used the turn signal switch made the trip up to Granite Bay as the sun went down a real experience. I drove back to Las Vegas via Tahoe/Reno and down, but had to make sure i got back before dark. About 1300 miles round trip, but only had to drive 700 of it. Or, I should say (aside from the headlight issue) had the pleasure of driving it 700 miles.

After getting it back to Vegas the real work started....CCT's, brakes, rear speakers, mirror, common stuff. I love the smell and feel of the 8, but would really like to get hold of an '03 XKR.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:06 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Clearly Champir and Rjag win the extremes of distance.

Myself, after the Italian Super Model Wife insisted I get a convertible, I only looked for a couple of months on line and quickly focused on UK Cat's because they were a third to half as expensive as the rest of Europe...and bouncing around the UK, Oz, Ireland, and the rest of the world since I was a kid the 'backwards' steering wheel doesn't trouble me either way.

I also moved up to later production models of the first series XK's once I researched them to avoid the main early problems, of cylinder liners, tensioners, and transmissions to avoid all of those issues as far as possible....and I like the recessed grills better than the '05-'06 flush grills...so that narrowed it down to '02-'04.

Lucked out and found a guy that was moving the family to Spain and decided that with three young kids he might do better without a convertible and he had a rare Zircon Blue version that I really liked and all the correct service records...he was even about 5,000 miles ahead.

So I flew from Geneva to London and drove it back in one day....only about 650 miles...doesn't sound very impressive compared to some of the tales on here...and in fact it really wasn't a big deal.

Love the car, the colors, the wheels, the performance...like a jet with the supercharger it just keeps accelerating to about 160mph, with seamless shifts from the Auto box...in fact it is the first time in my life I prefer an auto because the shifts are faster than you could manage with a manual....would do it again next week end.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Got a Jaguar Jones
Found my '99 on ebay, my bid did not meet the reserve, but got a call later from the owner. He was in a bind, and the engine developed a noise, so was offered the car at a very good price(6K). Car was in Texas, and owner said he would drive it out for $300., which was good in case the engine went. The engine noise was minor, and I fixed it for about 12 dollars. I think it was a great buy.
1300 mi. Butte Mt to Scottsdale Az for winter months. Lots of nice high end cars in that area. Prices are down because of depressed economy. Most cars there have never seen snow or any corrosive substances, maybe not even rain.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my XKR Coupe from a friend of mine. We met at our local pub then walked the 300 yards to his house.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Searched eBay high and low, made a few bids on cars in Florida and didn't get anywhere. Finally found mine 120 miles away in Phoenix, a 99 XK8 for just under $10K. It has been a year now and I just love this car. BTW, just added the Arizona plate, BEG3YRS!

Old 12-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Classic program also features a "Plyometrics" p90x schedule workout, which you will complete every week except for weeks four, eight and 13. The Daily Burn website explains the video as "jump training," which "improves your ability to run faster
Essie Nail Polish Reviews

Last edited by Car111; 02-23-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:40 AM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

I looked around ebay for a coupe for about a year before I eventually saw one pop up locally, and it was an XKR, got it as soon as I saw it!

Old 12-12-2011, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

I just travelled the best part of 600 miles for this....

I have special things in mind

Old 12-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I just travelled the best part of 600 miles for this....

I have special things in mind
Ouch!

Old 12-12-2011, 06:31 AM

Racer;

I hope they paid you to take that away.

Assume you won't be racing it much on those 50mph spares....that's special.... have never seen two of those on the same car....same on the other side?

Why do I sense a Giles cartoon about your 'children's gang' collecting spare wheels from parked Jaguars at a rally or somewhere with Granny as the look out while the drivers are having a pint in Pub?

I see that you have saved money going in and it already has the white side marker light lenses so you won't have to replace those.....must have sealed the deal when you spotted that.

Um, it is kind of hard to tell what year that was before it was 'retired'....not that it will really matter by the time you get done with it.

Please keep us posted with photos as you go along.

I always enjoy your modifications but is just a 3.0 SC pulley and a Killer Chiller really going to do it on this without an engine?

cheers,

jj

Old 12-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

It has...... Or should I say dont have!!

No engine
No gearbox
No interior.... everything gone
No bonnet/hood
No bumpers
No ABS
No brakes
No discs/rotors
No modules, ECU, all have been removed
No front wings/fenders (the one you see has been removed and fitted to another car this morning)
No door mirrors
No window trims, except one, that has totally had it
No wheels, this expalins the 4 X space savers

It is a 2004MY, not quite a bare shell but as near as it gets, this XK will be 'my' XK

Old 12-12-2011, 07:20 AM

Racer;

I can see why you would go all that way for so 'little'.

What a deal!

There goes the savings on the side markers.

At least you won't have to remap the ECU.

Let me guess you sold the fenders for what the shell cost you?

So just what are you planning?

Road or Track?

5.0 engine?

4.2 engine with Avos Twin Screw SC?

Manual transmission of course, 5 or 6 speed?

Assume it will end up black.

Just what did it do to deserve this stripped down fate, it doesn't look like it was wrecked.

jj

Old 12-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

The shell cost me nothing.... indirectly.... done a couple of swapsies

I have a picture I found ages ago of a concept Jaguar I quite like the look of so I am going to build it, the rear will be taken out about 4" a side to accomodate the 20" 365s (13J) wheels and tires.
A 6 speed fully sequential gear box at the back where the diff would be, that will be connected to maybe a twin supercharged (not twin screw) 4.7 V8 or I might just say hang it and fit a big chevy lump, 7ltr supercharged. The bonnet/hood will have to be made along with the front wings/fenders. I want to shorten the front by about 10", I will fit new XJ lights, rear lights will be something completely different.
Might even go mad and fit lambo doors, the shape of the car will pull it off, not somethig I would do to a normal XK, but there will not be a single bit of a normal XK left by the time I have finished

Old 12-12-2011, 09:14 AM

Racer;

Sounds great....look forward to the finished photos.

Twin super charger gives more HP than a twin screw?

Have you done any of those on a 4.2?

4.2 Ford to 7.0 Chevy...my father always said "There is no replacement for displacement."

cheers,

jj

Old 12-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Mine must be one of the shortest distances 10miles to the local Jaguar Dealers turned the first one down, second one love at first sight.One years guarantee full service history so really enjoying the drive and learning as much as I can from you guys, for when I am on my own.
Al

Old 12-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jamjax
...look forward to the finished photos.

Twin super charger gives more HP than a twin screw?

Have you done any of those on a 4.2?

4.2 Ford to 7.0 Chevy...my father always said "There is no replacement for displacement."

You will have a wait for the photos, I want to finish my XKR and then my manual XK8 track car..... I now have 3 XKs ....OK 2.5 really

Oh yes, 2 are always better than one...

There is no replacement for displacement... and simplicity... then again I might want to keep it Jaguar..ish.....maybe

Old 12-12-2011, 03:21 PM

Guess we are going to have to wait for the snaps....have fun and good luck.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

XKRacer,

I find your particular brand of insanity to be quite pleasing.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I live in Covington, KY. I got my 2003 XK8 in Charlotte, NC. It was listed on Carmax for months at an independent luxury car dealer. It looked like a nice car. When I noticed the price start dropping, I thought there must be something wrong with it, since it had been on the lot for so long. Well, nothing like a look-see. I fly for an airline, so I hopped the next jump-seat down to Charlotte, rented a car and went to see just what this car was all about. I really tried not to fall in love with this car, but I have to admit - I did! It was in almost immaculate condition with 88,000 Florida and Georgia miles on it. I had the local Jag dealer do a pre-delivery inspection on it while I had it on the test drive; declared in good order with just minor maintenance items in the to-do list. For $14,500 I drove it home that night, 780 miles back to Kentucky (of course, I wasn't down the road 80 miles when I got my first taste of Jagdom - a "gearbox fault" message. But the box worked perfectly and the message reset after the next start (fluid change soon!). I have put 3,000 miles on the car this year and it has just been an excellent experience - I've done a number of maintenance items myself and am planning more; this forum and its many members have been a great help.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live near Tampa FL only had to make the 140mile trip down to Naples to get my 99 lowered XK8. ONly has 52K miles on it, HRE 540 20in wheels, pirelli tires, car was customized in 98 in Germany (possibly Arden altho no Arden tags I can locate), Harmon Kardon , custom exhaust. shines like new, one owner kept in air cond. garage. 11K $. looked for about 6 months. eventually would like to get a newer XKR, maybe an 03. No noise coming from the twin cam chains so will keep an ear on that. car sits almost as low as my last vette !! looks cool tho.. cheers

GOing to try and post a pic in here from photobucket.

Last edited by Bigguy3903; 12-12-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: How far did you travel to buy your XK8/XKR?