XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

How often to clean leather seats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020 | 02:17 PM
|
Default How often to clean leather seats?

OK, I tried to do a search on this and all I get are threads on "what did you do today" and nothing relating to my search.

I realize location and usage makes a difference but is there a point of diminishing returns?

Also, I use Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer. Any comments?

Old 09-30-2020 | 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Gosh i don't think there's a stated schedule, though its the kind of thing (getting dirty) that progresses so slowly you might not notice.

I've been monitoring and participating in discussions about our leather for a while now. One sad but interesting point is that the leather on out cars has been "coated" to make it wear metter over the years. The downside to this is the "pores" are pretty much blocked - your not going to transform the leather into butter soft high quality leather with any type of leather conditioner.

Point #2: much of what looks like / or you think is leather isn't leather at all. Includes seat backs, door panels arm rest. Center console? Im not sure without looking.

Murphy's oil soap works nicely for cleaning. I've had great results with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, though one should recognize they are abrasive by nature so balance that out.

I've read about folks using saddle soap on the seats, nothing but positive results posted.

Friends, I'm not claiming to be an expert, pretty much just summarizing what I've gleaned from our discussions over the years. Please do correct me if you can. I'd be especially happy to learn of something that can really condition and soften this leather.

John

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
DavidYau (09-30-2020), mbates50 (10-01-2020)
Old 10-04-2020 | 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

For the most part I wipe down the seats with a damp microfiber towel when I wash the car.

For really bad dirt (or when I wash a newly bought car for the first time) I use Gliptone leather cleaner along with a little water and a fingernail brush. Cleaner on the brush, a quick dip in a bit of water and gentle scrubbing. It will suds up a little bit then just wipe off with a microfiber towel before it dries up.

Note: The leather conditioner I hate the smell of but the cleaner is amazing stuff and doesn't have much odor to it.

Old 10-05-2020 | 10:03 AM

A friend of mine is a furniture store owner and claims to know everything about leather and leather care. He says that basically all automotive leather is treated (painted) and so should be treated accordingly. In other words, it's not a pair of fine blue suede shoes. Or even a nice jacket. And if you think about it, cars take a lot of abuse, huge temperature changes, convertibles even more so.

Me, personally, Mr. **** Retentive, a bit OCD, clean freak. My wife has other names. I try to keep the car spotless.

SO, yes, like @ccfulton suggests, really the best thing is to just wipe everything down when you wash the car. I wash my cars weekly, and they usually get a vacuum every other time and I wipe down the seats and interior trim with just a damp towel. For real actual cleaning of the leather, I use Lexol. They make an excellent cleaner and a very good preservative, which doesn't stink or make the leather terribly sticky.

I also use Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner. It's good for all surfaces, leather, vinyl, carpet, but not glass.

The following 2 users liked this post by BimmerGuy:
Johnken (10-06-2020), michaelh (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020 | 12:16 AM

I used Connolly Hide Care on the leather in my Mercedes, Lincoln and Taurus for several years. Keeps my butt smooth and soft.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagophile:
GooseTx (10-12-2020), Johnken (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020 | 06:36 AM

I use gliptone liquid leather conditioner, It has a strong smell to it but the results are got. Does not get the leather shiny so it looks greasy or some thing like that. for cleaning i go whit the least abrasive method as possible first wich is just clean whater for more power I use gliptone gentle leather cleaner.

Cleaning when nessesary and condition the seats 1 to 3 times every summer (short summers in northen sweden)