XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

How to remove Amplifier under convertible mechanism?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 05:53 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default How to remove Amplifier under convertible mechanism?

On the convertible, it seems there is a way to remove the cd player and amplifier while leaving the top mechanism in place. I removed 2, 7mm screws one from the front and one from the back side. But there seems to be something else holding it. All I really need is the Amp out but its screws are almost impossible to get to. Is there another way? Help please. Thank you.
mark

Old 09-18-2021, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Mark, I always do it like this:

Find the bolts holding the pump mechanism to the top of the rack.

Plan is to loosen them so you can remove rack leaving pump in place.

As I recall there are 3 bolts bolting rack to "floor". One bolt each side towards front edge of rack. One bolt (actually a sheet metal screw as I recall) center bottom rear. This bolt goes in horizontally.

Floor bolts removed, rack is free to move a bit. Now release the pump on top of rack. Just gently place the pump back where it was.

Unhook cables to CD Changer, unhook cables to amplifier.

Remove rack with Changer and amp from trunk.

Mark, a couple of important points:
1) THERE ARE NUMEROUS RAZOR SHARP EDGES BEHIND / BELOW RACK (caps for emphasis)
2) reassembly: looks obvious, like a genius idea: Why bother re-attaching that rear screw? Rwck is stable. . . WRONG!! (Guess how I know about this one:-)) the rack will vibrate left right without that bolt. Puts stress on pipes into pump and on wired connections. You'll notice in a year or two.

3) you didn't mention opening CD changer. No big deal to do so BUT: pay attention/ photo spring suspension layout. Not intuitively obvious on reassembly.

Could you get the amp out without removing rack? Yes, I suppose so, but that's 10x more complicated. What I described above is a simple job, much easier than it sounds.

John

Old 09-18-2021, 08:53 PM

Hi, thank you so much. I've found a screw on the back of the rack and front of the rack and removed them. Now the section holding the amp and CD is loose from the bottom, front and back. Somehow the top of the inner rack is fastened to the top of the overall outside rack and underneath the top pump mechanism. How do I get to whatever is holding the top in place under the pump?
I'm a little confused about the part of your description where you loosen the pump fasteners. Also about removing the 3 bolts to the overall frame, moving it slightly then placing the pump. I want to touch or manipulate that pump as least as possible.
I think there are bolts, screws under the pump, when released will release the inside frame. I'm by myself so no extra hands. How do I lift and hold that pump up?
I'll go back and re read your post again, but those are my questions. I have a new amp to try out.
mark

Old 09-18-2021, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member

Yes it releases the pump. I forget if the pump can rest on the floor. Hey just stick a box under it or something.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:26 AM

On fresh light and mind there are the 2 bolt screws on top. Now the inner is loose.

So Unhook cables to CD Changer, unhook cables to amplifier. How do the white cable fasteners release? I see a couple little white button things on top of the amp white connector. They must be key. Do they push down, back, front? How do those connectors release? The circular amp connector pulled right out. I havnt gotten to the cd connections yet.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:51 AM

I got it, pressed down with one screwdriver pushed plug with another and they popped right out. Now the chase after all this installing the new amp. Thank you for all the help. I'm not as young as I use to be and bending over, peeking around, tight spaces are frustrating. Having it in front of me and not having to release the convertible pump is a win.

Old 09-19-2021, 12:53 PM

After all the help from many, it was definitely the Amplifier that had gone bad in the back. Now I have to decide if I want to upgrade the speakers. Thank everyone who helped along the way.
Mark

Old 09-19-2021, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Mark, congrats!!! Glad we could help.

John