XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

How to Remove A/C Control Module?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default How to Remove A/C Control Module?

To my surprise this baby doesn't just slide out. All mounting screws removed, I'm not sure what is binding it in place, figure I better ask when it's not obvious.

I've checked all the teck and workshop manuals I own, no info on removing.

Have you ever done this? Might any reference material be out there?

Thanks, John

Old 07-24-2020, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

I drove in and figured it out.

Folks, she doesn't just slide out (after all this is a Jaguar). You must remove the passenger footwell heater duct for clearance of the far lower bracket. I did this towards the end, should be an early step after you remove the glove box. Removing this duct: unscrew the Phillips screw from underneath (it's right by the courtesy light). Grab a big flat head screwdriver. Wedge it in on the flat bottom of the duct where it attaches to the ductwork from the center of the car. Twist the screwdriver to pop unhook the tab holding them together. Remove the duct.

I then removed the air bag and its brackets, couldn't get around that. There is a grey metal bracket that holds the wood veneer. It is secured by 4 gold hex head bolts. Good news, they are magnetic (without that you'd likely lose them when loosened). Since battery has been disconnected for a while now, disconnect the air bag electrical connection. Use a flat blade screwdriver to release the pine tree type white fastener that is integral to the wire harness side of this connection. Then just push down on the tab, slip the wires apart. Get it out of the way.

I found it virtually impossible to get this grey bracket out without moving the black airbag bracket a bit. Only way to do that is to unbolt it.

Air bag bracket: there are 2 black 10mm bolts on left an right vertical forward facing sides. There are 2 10mm gold nuts on bottom facing the floor. Remove all. Note: the funny looking fastener about an inch or 2 in front of the gold nuts are not touched. They will clear the brackets and come out with the air bag.

Now with left right vertical play in the black air bag bracket you can remove the grey bracket.

Then tilt the black air bag bracket forward to retract the gold bottom bolts and the funny looking fasteners remove the air bag. Don't forget your walnut cover is flapping around so protect it.

Removing the AC Controller module
The most frustrating part is a hidden Phillips screw. Let me explain: if you look at a picture of the controller yo will see 2 brackets on the lower side as mounted, each is a plain old Phillips screw. You will also notice a curved bracket in upper left side - its obviously for a wire harness right? (wrong!!!). This bloody thing is a mount, secured under a Phillips screw that is mounted in the bowels of the dashboard. If you move the thick wire harness that goes to the BPM (body processor module) in the upper left where it makes its 1st 90 degree bend, you'll see the hidden screw. Loosen this screw. No need to remove it, God knows I wouldn't want to try to re insert it later.

Loosen the BPM Module:
The BPM is vertical in front of you with the hose sized wire harness. It is almost pressing against the top of the ac module, it must be moved. There are 3 gold 10mm nuts securing BPM in place. Remove the 3 nuts.

I found it helped to release the BPM wire harness from the 2 white plastic fasteners securing the hose sized wire harness as it traveled left to right on the horizontal dashboard bracket above the BPM. This is revealed after removing the air bag.

At this point it's just careful patient manipulation of the ac control module out of the hidden upper screw (loosened not removed), around the female side of the duct to the passenger footwell that's still there, and by the BPM and the big old BPM wire loom.

It'll slide out.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 07-24-2020 at 07:08 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Johnken:
crbass (07-24-2020), DavidYau (07-25-2020), michaelh (07-25-2020), motorcarman (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

You really earned that cold air!

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (07-24-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,418 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Good step by step guide

John,

Now you got the module out.....

Waiting on what happens now I’m the next episode.... in another Jag X100 saga.

Let’s hope there’s not another “Doh! I’m an idiot moment!” along the way

Johnken (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 05:18 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

OMG What a project! I can only hope that this doesn't happen often!

Johnken (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,855 Posts

Persistence pays off. Well done....

Johnken (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

David David David, are you trying to jinx me :-)?

yes you made me LOL, but I've gotta reinstall that airbag this morning. . .

But that was a good one! So, I'm RESOLVED, no oops learn from this moment coming today.

BTW, I just installed the new(er) control module. It took hours to get out, about 10 minutes to get in. This job goes in the - "it took 5 hours the 1st time, will take about half hour the 2nd" file

John

DavidYau (07-25-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

Moderator you may mark this as resolved.

Believe it or not, the 3,2 blink, or 2,3 blinking (I forget which) yellow airbag light I've been "going to get to" for a while now is gone! When I looked these codes up it pointed to a bad connection under the driver's seat or passenger's seat. Go figure!

Getting the air bag back in just requires patience. It's a tight fit, nothing needs to be stressed or, despite your temptations, bent.

So, a solid ER message in climate control display, buttons inoperative was a failed AC Control Module.

No, this module doesn't need to be programmed in. My New (used) module has a 00 printed on the surface. I assume this refers to year, since my faulty module has a 98 for my 1998 car. I say this because I've read many posts where newer modules need no programming, while earlier iterations do in some cases.

BTW: If you plan to remove the dashboard controls be very gentle with the plastic around the screws. It just wants to disintegrate!!!

I've typed these notes to help with future searches. If there's a better way to keyword this stuff let me know.

John

crbass (07-26-2020)