XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

How to remove CD player?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 12:34 PM
Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts
Default How to remove CD player?

Hey all my 2003 xk8 CD player has given me the E01 fault intermittently since I have owned my car. In the past ejecting the cassette and reinstalling it did the trick. Also, the cassette would not eject at times without holding in the eject button and tapping on it with a screw driver handle. After trying all my old tricks to get the cd player working I can tell it's time to remove the unit and give it a good cleaning and lube.

I know I have seen how to remove the cd player (easier way?) on the forum but, after searching several times can't seem to find it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Hope all is well and thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Andrew

Old 06-26-2021, 02:20 PM
Received 4,312 Likes on 3,727 Posts

the screws are a pain to get to, so the first time, I used a phillips bit and a small ratchet wrench that fit the bit to remove the 4 screws holding the cd player in place. Once I removed the cd player, I drilled holes in the outer bracket so that I could use a screw driver to remove the next time

If you can find a small enough offset screw driver that would work as well

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 02:47 PM

Hey Steve

I was looking at those screws and thought they could/would be a pain to remove but, I appreciate knowing that removing these screws would indeed let me get the changer out. Looks like I'll make a trip out to Harbor freight and see if I can find an offset driver that might work. Drilling holes in the bracket makes total sense. Getting the screws out is one thing but, getting them back in would be beyond a pita.

Thanks

DavidYau (06-28-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 11:34 AM
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

The change is mounted to a bracket (on my car the CD changer & power amp are attached to the same bracket). The bracket is mounted inside the bracket holding the windshield header motor for the convertible top. There are 4 bolts holding the CD changer bracket inside the header motor bracket. It's easiest to remove these 4 bolts to remove the changer & amp. 2 bolts are on top of the motor bracket in front of the motor. 2 are on the sides of the motor bracket an inch or so below the top. There are 3 electrical connectors on the forward side (towards the front of the car) of the changer. Two connectors are white and have little retention clips on top. The third is black and has no retainer mechanism. You just have to pull straight out but it takes a little force.

After you have the changer/amp bracket loose it will pull right out towards the center of the trunk. From there it's pretty straight forward to remove the changer from the amp bracket.

Good luck.

Old 06-25-2023, 04:56 PM
Default Update

Wanted to update this thread because I know folks will be trying to figure out how to get their CD changer/amp in the future. Tropicat above nailed it. My biggest concern getting my changer out was I didn’t want to disturb the top motor. If you look at the maze of brackets holding all the components together it’s hard to wrap your head around what needs to be taken apart or removed. Well it truly is just the four bolts as explained above. I got it out and I hardly cursed at all! Yea

Johnken (06-25-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts

Took mine out .binned it ,carpeted the area for more trunk space and fitted a modern GPS/revcam/radio/music in the space occupied by the dash radio.