XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

How's everyone doing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Hey I'm another vinyl lover too! Gosh it's a sin,I haven't set up my rig after my last move yet!

Had. Fun experience yesterday. Was pulling up to my house and saw my next door neighbor showing his 1978 MG (perfect condition) off to a gent who had just arrived in his 1992 XJS coupe. Well when I pulled in the discussion quickly shifted to Jaguars.

I was impressed, the guy had just bought the XJS, 60k miles $6,000! Ttytt I wish I'd washed and waxed mine! Parking next is to him sure did show me I needed to, ouch.

Either he got the deal of a lifetime or those prices dropped like a rock. When I was hunting for one, out here in New Jersey USA, 4 or 5 years ago they were going for a minimum of $10k. In the kind of shape this guy had it was closer to $20k. Most importantly, back then the cars sold within 6 to 24 hours!

That's when I came across this XK8. just for the heck of it I decided to look into it. I knew a serious Jaguar collector, gave him a call and asked about the XK8. When he said: "John, the XK8 can do anything the XJS can do, and do it better" - I was sold. (Maybe I only wish I'd have known about the R version back then, but I'm not complaining)

John

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
DavidYau (05-09-2020), ozbot (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
JimmyL,

My personal music library is a mix of vinyl, cassette, and compact disk. I have about 50 of my late father's vinyl albums dating back to the 1940s. Some of those are in great shape, some in not-so-great shape, and some are so old and fragile that they are now unplayable. My personal vinyl collection consists of about 2,000 albums spanning from the late 1950s to the early 1990s and are all in like-new condition because I NEVER LOANED AN ALBUM OUT TO ANYONE, PERIOD. My personal CD collection consists of about 500 albums spanning from the late 1950s to about 2013. My personal cassette collection (all recorded by me on then-new Maxell cassettes from vinyl LP sources for ongoing preservation reasons) consists of about 200 albums....

I purchased my Dual 1218 turntable in 1972, my twin Altec Voice of the Theatre speakers in 1975, my Onkyo cassette tape deck in 1982, my Yamaha R8 receiver in 1985, and my Yamaha CDX-530 CD player in 1990. This vintage audio system is without question my most cherished possession. If our house ever catches on fire, the first thing I will grab and carry outside will be my twin Altec speakers. I will be counting on my adrenaline glands to kick in big-time because they weigh about 260 pounds each, they are upstairs in my music room, and I am now 66 years old with long-suffering football injuries to my shoulder, back, left knee, and both Achilles tendons. My wife knows to get out of my way because if she does not, I will mow her down on the way out....

Hey hope you and your wife are recovering well. Actually you are the first "acquaintance" I have come across who contracted the virus. Nobody in my immediate circle of friends, family or co-workers has contracted the virus, nor have I come across anybody who knows anybody who has contracted--weird.

Anyway sounds like we must be kindred spirits. I love vintage things that had value at the time they were purchased. My stereo setup is somewhat similar in certain respects (Sony STR-7045 tuner/receiver from 1973, a couple of BIC turntables, Technics cassette player/recorder, Akai CD player). I originally had some decent Marantz speakers but upgraded them several years ago for some Infinity speakers. I could never afford to go nuts with top-tier stuff but it is all pretty decent and all of my vinyls still sound good--have a bit of an eclectic collection. I wouldn't have the heart to get rid of any of this vintage stuff.

On the other hand I have a few pieces of old camera equipment I would love to get rid of. Several Canon SLR bodies and a number of lenses. Those were sought after back in the day but film cameras are pretty useless unless you are some sort of collector or purist.

Doug

The following 2 users liked this post by SeismicGuy:
Johnken (05-09-2020), ozbot (05-10-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 05:44 PM
Received 569 Likes on 275 Posts

Still have some Vinyl for 7's -80's but sold my turntable, receiver and amp at time I move to new location. Purchased the XK8 after I sold my V8 conversion MGB. Been a STEEP learning curve on the XK8 but this forum has been a life & $ saver. Great people and much knowledge. Life is Good in Southern Middle Tenn. and only 25 miles to Huntsville, Al. The Rocket City. Taprooms are to open on Monday and hope to visit a few , Social DIstance is the key. Love the Dark Beer. Great breweries in Hsv. You'all stay safe.

The following 2 users liked this post by kstevusa:
Johnken (05-09-2020), ozbot (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 959 Likes on 450 Posts

Here in northern B.C. it was a great day. The covid-19 rate in B.C. is on a steady decline. There was only 1 new
case reported and 67 people were released from the hospital in the last 24 hours. Looks like the social distancing
is paying off. The girl friend told me she is coming home next week after being in Ladysmith on Vancouver Island
for the last 6 weeks taking care of her mom. At least the boss gave me a week to get the place in order. On the
topic of what I would take if there was a fire, I think only the mutts and my photo albums of my daughter. After 2
divorces I've figured out everything else I can replace or live without.

Fleebag and Varmit

Last edited by ozbot; 05-10-2020 at 01:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ozbot:
crbass (05-10-2020), Johnken (05-12-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 06:46 AM
Received 282 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
David,

Self-isolation can be quite stimulating if you choose wisely regarding how to spend your time. Thus far I have locked myself into my music room away from my wife and dogs and cranked up my John Hiatt, Don Dixon, Spirit, Buddy Holly, Patsy Cline, It's A Beautiful Day, Crosby Stills & Nash, John Prine, Roxy Music, Todd Rundgren, Donald Fagen, New Grass Revival, Sam Bush, Marti Jones, Pete Townshend, Bob Welch, Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello, Joe Walsh, Warren Zevon, Joni Mitchell, Dave Brubeck, and John Cowan albums. Still have at least a couple hundred more favorite albums to get to before my quarantine period ends next Thursday....
Wow!! That's quite a variety. I'ma child of the '60-'70's and have quite the collection too. Everything from Aerosmith to ZZ Topp and in that order. A little ****. I seldom loaned an album either as another poster stated. Haven't touched them in ages as much as I love music. Life keeps ya busy. I have over a 1000 LP's into the '90's before I gave in to buying CD's. I'd sell them all for a price and turn that in to Jag and motorcycle money if any one was interested.

Admittedly, I shed a tear or 2 when I hear of another great rocker or other musician we have lost. They brought us such great joy in their music. I could go on and on about music heroes but I'll spare ya. LOL Back in the day when I rode Honda Goldwings with a sound sysyem there was always loads of music on the road with me. The soundtracks to our lives.

Last edited by STLTHMSTA; 05-10-2020 at 10:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by STLTHMSTA:
crbass (05-10-2020), ozbot (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

More extended self-isolation yesterday. Gordon Lightfoot, Jackson Browne, Van Morrison, Harry Nilsson, David Bowie, Joe Jackson, Carl Perkins, Derek and the Dominos, J.J. Cale, Leon Russell, The Zombies, Waylon Jennings, Cream, Jethro Tull, The Jefferson Airplane, John Sebastian, The Alan Parsons Project, The Beatles, Stephen Stills, Michael Martin Murphy, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Doc Watson, Firefall, Jeff Wayne, Walter Hyatt, and The Glenn Miller Orchestra all took their turns on my vintage system. I do not own any Little Richard albums but if I did, they would be played in his honor today....

The following 3 users liked this post by Jon89:
crbass (05-10-2020), JimmyL (05-10-2020), ozbot (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts
Talking Memories ...

On the other hand I have a few pieces of old camera equipment I would love to get rid of. Several Canon SLR bodies and a number of lenses. Those were sought after back in the day but film cameras are pretty useless unless you are some sort of collector or purist.

Doug

There's another thing I still cling to from the old days - my Minolta SLR with a Zeiss lens, a couple of other lens' and filters. Mobile phone cameras have come a long way, but can't compare to a good analog film camera with some Kodachrome. Poor kids these days are deprived - no vinyl albums and turntables, no album sleeves with lyrics and art work, and no decent cameras !

The following 3 users liked this post by JimmyL:
crbass (05-10-2020), Johnken (05-10-2020), ozbot (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 925 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyL
Indeed. Way afield, but since mama took my kodachrome away (especially the ISO 25), my Canon film bodies have become progressively more valueless. Tried to sell them right after they discontinued K25, but my wife wouldn't let me since I gave her one for our first child's birth. They remain paperweights. Daughter decided to shoot film some time back since photography is her concentration. Wasn't clear to that generation that getting enough experience that at least some shots on the numerous rolls aren't crap (or the leader isn't fed, oops you missed them all) is expensive and an exercise in delayed gratification, especially now. She stopped at under 10 rolls or so.

And, for my fire, I'd only have time to get the children out since they'd still be rooting about to determine what they should save. And one of mine lives in Australia, hope his sprinkler works.

The following users liked this post:
ozbot (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by STLTHMSTA
Wow!! That's quite a variety. I'ma child of the '60-'70's and have quite the collection too. Everything from Aerosmith to ZZ Topp and in that order. A little ****. I seldom loaned an album either as another poster stated. Haven't touched them in ages as much as I love music. Life keeps ya busy. I have over a 1000 LP's into the '90's before I gave in to buying CD's.
But I bet you don't have Fifty Foot Hose, T.I.M.E., Kaleidescope, Chocolate Watchband, or Mandrake Memorial. I tended to be attracted to the obscure.

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (05-10-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 09:15 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default True E Story

I have owned my E-Type since 2001. About ten years ago, while walking out to my car at a department store, a woman loading her SUV said to me, "Excuse me sir, but what kind of car is that?" I replied, "It's a Jaguar." She counters, "You mean to tell me they're making those now?" "No, ma'am, they made it 40 years ago!"

This is the profile that I desired for my Series 2.

The following 4 users liked this post by XLRateMe:
DavidYau (08-30-2020), EnjoyEverySandwich (08-30-2020), JimmyL (08-31-2020), ozbot (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 959 Likes on 450 Posts

That sure is a beautiful looking car.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:55 AM
Received 282 Likes on 164 Posts

Oh MY!!!! My '67 never looked that good. Sure miss it. TM