HVAC Rattle, A.C. Vents, Console Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts
Default HVAC Rattle, A.C. Vents, Console Rattle

Hello All...

She's a 2002 XK8 convertible...

If there is one thing that makes me crazy it's a constant and consistent rattle coming from anywhere on a car when I'm driving. I can deal with a growing problem, something I know will need attention soon - and a clunk here and there - on the list of things to do.

I get this rattle, like something's come loose, or that the padding between to pieces of venting (or something) is allowing contact between two sections for the HVAC system. The smallest bump can make it chatter. It really chatters. It's annoying..

Its connected to A.C. operation, maybe the recirculation function, maybe one of the settings and not another - ie foot eye level combo, floor only, or eye level only settings on the HVAC control face. I cannot figure it out. It seems to be a combination of settings perhaps...?

Is there a specific thing I can go after that folks are familiar with? Is it a common problem after age of the XK8? How do I remove what needs to be removed to get to actuators or solenoids to check flap function and condition

Any and all ideas welcome. Thank you all in advance.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default I was just cleaning the centre vents

Centre vents are easy to pull out. Check out link below for access to take off centre dash panel.
The vents just pulls out and easy to check and clean.

There’s also another thread on rattling “nuts” ... yeah seriously. Check out link below
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-nuts-216405/

Old 06-23-2019, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

The defrost vents get hard under sun exposure and start to rattle. Ford used a similar design on modern mustangs and they all rattle after about 5 years, too.

The problem is, now the the defrost vents are hard, they have also become brittle. The trick is to carefully pry them out and use a small amount of windshield butyl at re-install to dampen the rattle.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Ungn
The defrost vents get hard under sun exposure and start to rattle. Ford used a similar design on modern mustangs and they all rattle after about 5 years, too.

The problem is, now the the defrost vents are hard, they have also become brittle. The trick is to carefully pry them out and use a small amount of windshield butyl at re-install to dampen the rattle.
Hmm...
My rattle seems to be coming from much deeper inside of the console area... Down and in the back heart of the HVAC unit...

I'm thinking I am going to have to take a deep dive but I don't want to go in not knowing what I'm getting into or what I'm looking for. Is the heating and HVAC unit in the XK8 undiscovered country? It's definitely one of the vent flaps loose, lost its insulation trim, it's hinge or or or... I'm just not sure what?