XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

I blew up my 2003 XKR Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 04:28 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey Frank, I just noticed you are in Evergreen. I am down here in Denver. I sometimes make sporting runs up the Lariat Loop to then have a break at Creek Side for wine and cheese (or Little Bear for red meat, fries and grease). PM me

The following users liked this post:
CzechFrank (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default ? upgrade lessons from track use

While I won't be hitting the track in my XKR coupe as I can't afford hundreds of dollars for tires and brake parts that get burned through within an hour or two of use...

I wonder if there are lessons learned that improve XKR surviving sustained spirited driving over and down mountain passes. Why? I drove over Loveland Pass a few weeks ago while on my way to Vail for a business meeting. Halfway down I started getting low coolant warning messages for 30 seconds at a time. Car cooled down, coolant level looks fine, but later my mechanic looked through and found an obscure pipe for the coolant that was leaking coolant but not enough to see on the floor (there was none) but clearly in other areas. A year earlier I had the coolant reservoir replaced, the sensor and other pipes in that area. So it all works but are upgrades needed? Mind you my car is at 98,400 miles.

The following users liked this post:
CzechFrank (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I emailed with Andrew T Jaguar Specialties and no there is no LS1 conversion for mine yet...good idea though.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:30 AM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by weisberg
I started getting low coolant warning messages for 30 seconds at a time. Car cooled down, coolant level looks fine, but later my mechanic looked through and found an obscure pipe for the coolant that was leaking coolant but not enough to see on the floor (there was none) but clearly in other areas. A year earlier I had the coolant reservoir replaced, the sensor and other pipes in that area. So it all works but are upgrades needed? Mind you my car is at 98,400 miles.
I had something similar happen, but I saw a leak near the coolant reservoir. I replaced it only to find that there was nothing wrong with the reservoir, only the end of one of those stupid hoses that was leaking just a bit

Not a big deal as I was able to use some JB weld to fix the minor leak versus replacing the entire hose. So far so good. But yeah, the low coolant light will come on if the coolant bottle is down even a little bit.

As for taking these cars to the track I could deal with brake pads and tires, it's the transmissions I just don't trust. Not to mention tracking a car with an automatic would be a bit frustrating in terms of control.