XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

i can't sleep...2005 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:44 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Against hey black leather it actually looks pretty good. Work my light colored leather I think the wood grain looks best!

The following users liked this post:
prettybluefin (06-10-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile Bluefin and her Jag....

I don't know about having that much Black inside??? But PrettyBluefin is gon'a do what PrettyBluefin is gon'a do! I hope it turns out as you imagine it will....You need to stop hanging around those fancy places that cater to those Lambo Guys....Next thing you know you be trying to put the Motor in the trunk!

Billy Clyde

prettybluefin (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 12:49 AM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by WAFlowers
What?!?! You covered up all the beautiful wood? You might as well flip your car for a newer XK!

I have to admit that is some of the nicest CF I've ever seen. But I'll NEVER hide the beautiful wood in my XKR. Admittedly, the wood in my car is some of the nicest burl I've seen in any Jag IMHO, plus I have been (and probably will be again) a woodworker. So I'm rather biased towards the wood trim.
Thing is, i'm going for a very modern monochromatic look...so the wood throws it off big time for me. Brown wood & dark charcoal, almost black leather do not mix well...

I do not like any modern Jaguar, except for the F-Type...but even that has too many buttons etc for my liking.

The XKR is very simple and sexy. I want mine to be tones of grey & smokey steel.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
The special elm wood in my wife's 2006 Victory Edition XK8 is some of the most beautiful interior woodwork I have ever seen in a vehicle. Like WAFlowers said, there is no way we would ever cover it with carbon fiber (or any other material for that matter). In our minds (and eyes), a true Jaguar interior requires gorgeous woodwork....

I "get" that, and what I like about CF is that you can simply remove it if you don't like it...I was thinking of buying a 2nd set of wood to strip and stain ebony, but read the lacquer is very difficult to remove nicely... so I saw the Lambo, and it gave me an idea to sample it...have not decided to commit yet, but really like the look of the almost matte brushed metal finish that almost blends in with the dark leather.

I would never think CF would look nice in a classic Jaguar, but the XKR coupe is so modern looking, I think it works...

Old 06-10-2017, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
I don't know about having that much Black inside??? But PrettyBluefin is gon'a do what PrettyBluefin is gon'a do! I hope it turns out as you imagine it will....You need to stop hanging around those fancy places that cater to those Lambo Guys....Next thing you know you be trying to put the Motor in the trunk!

Billy Clyde

You know me SO well, it's funny. I bought this car while i was in a dark time, it was not bought as an investment, it was bought to bring me happiness everyday. And it does.

I recently said I did not like CF at all, but then my eyes were opened to the real stuff, and the subtle textures etc...This one that I chose is gunmetal grey, and feels like brushed metal, does not look like plastic at all like the VE stuff...I love that I can change it if I want. I had them only do around the shifter right now as an experiment...With my grey paint, the walnut wood clashes to me...

We shall see what I do, you never know! but NEVER engine in the trunk!

Old 06-10-2017, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by WAFlowers
Against hey black leather it actually looks pretty good. Work my light colored leather I think the wood grain looks best!
Rereading what I wrote I can tell I was on some good pain management drugs last night! Wow.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
Thing is, i'm going for a very modern monochromatic look...so the wood throws it off big time for me. Brown wood & dark charcoal, almost black leather do not mix well...
Actually, I'm finding I agree with you. That very dark leather doesn't do the wood justice IMHO.

The XKR is very simple and sexy. I want mine to be tones of grey & smokey steel.
Your car will certainly be beautifully unique.

prettybluefin (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 06:08 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

PBF,

I could not send a pic via PM, but today may be your lucky day. I just replaced my entire J-Gate Selector with a new one when I did my console bulbs. Mine was in pretty rough shape but all the lights work, and I'm sure you know how hard the 6-Speed box's are to find used.

It's a pain to fully remove as you need to pull the center console to free the connectors all the way on the side (I guess you could do it without pulling but good luck).

Here is what I have for you:

Attached Thumbnails i can't sleep...2005 XKR-img_5444.jpg  
Old 06-12-2017, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by dsd
PBF,

I could not send a pic via PM, but today may be your lucky day. I just replaced my entire J-Gate Selector with a new one when I did my console bulbs. Mine was in pretty rough shape but all the lights work, and I'm sure you know how hard the 6-Speed box's are to find used.

It's a pain to fully remove as you need to pull the center console to free the connectors all the way on the side (I guess you could do it without pulling but good luck).

Here is what I have for you:
thanks DSD! I am gonna have my mech change the bulbs to fresh ones, Murphy's Law, yours will blow out after I tighten the screws up. but thank you anyways!!!

Old 06-12-2017, 08:25 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

No problem, if you need a backup if things go sideways, let me know.

Do the LEDs for your instrument cluster dim with the settings dial?

Thanks!
dsd

prettybluefin (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 10:31 AM

DSD, yes they do. but even at 100%, it's a gorgeous glow at night. Not annoying at all.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:51 PM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
You know me SO well, it's funny. I bought this car while i was in a dark time, it was not bought as an investment, it was bought to bring me happiness everyday. And it does.

I recently said I did not like CF at all, but then my eyes were opened to the real stuff, and the subtle textures etc...This one that I chose is gunmetal grey, and feels like brushed metal, does not look like plastic at all like the VE stuff...I love that I can change it if I want. I had them only do around the shifter right now as an experiment...With my grey paint, the walnut wood clashes to me...

We shall see what I do, you never know! but NEVER engine in the trunk!
I couldn't throw the engine in trunk, so just got my Jag's "Mini Me" yesterday with its engine in trunk. They kinda look similar.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Cool 2005 XKR Ebony Coupe

Julian,
Those Silver Cars are pretty even with the Engine in the "Boot" but have you seen a 2005 XKR Coupe in Ebony/Ivory?

Billy Clyde

Old 06-22-2017, 12:22 AM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Julian,
Those Silver Cars are pretty even with the Engine in the "Boot" but have you seen a 2005 XKR Coupe in Ebony/Ivory?

Billy Clyde
Hey BC, not in person, but I've seen this photo and ivory interior is way stunning.

I know yours is Ebony exterior, do you have Ivory interior? So cool, and rare!
My XK8 is the light silver exterior with 2 tone Dove/charcoal interior. I love it. It was what I wanted only and searched for, forgoing even an XKR, cuz couldn't find one in that color. Dove is kinda rare too. I also went for a 2003-2004 MY cuz to me, (and its just my opinion, which can be faulted) I'm not so much into the add lower body parts of 2005 make, but liked the added alloy interior accents. But honestly all X100s are (again my opinion) so much classier looking than the X150s. And i debated that purchase for months, until I saw some in real life, not just photos. Even the saving grace, high tech interior, just looked too "cheesy" with all the "stuff" in person.

Last edited by Julian Black; 06-22-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:24 AM

Jules, how dare you post that other breed in my thread.
she is sexy though. wanna race?

Old 06-22-2017, 01:27 AM

ice blue LED bulbs in the foot wells.

Orthodixie (06-27-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member
Cool Ivory Interior

Julian,

My XKR does have the Ivory interior. It is beautiful but a job to keep clean, especially since it's getting a little age on it. I'm going to take it in to Joel, my Interior Guy and he is going to take the cover off the Driver's seat and clean it in addition to replacing the lower seat padding. I weight over 200lbs. and after all these years my old butt has pretty well mashed the form rubber out of shape...Should look like new when he finishes, it but not as good as those Recaro's in the photo....Mine are stock Jaguar seats, they look good but not in the same "Ball Park" as the Recaro's.....Although, the Alcantara Headliner that Joel put in the Coupe kind'a makes up for the Recaro's...
I'll try to get some Photos of "The Texas Coupe" and it's interior up by tomorrow, if I can figure out how to post them......I can't remember how to do it, so I'll have to study up on it.....
Billy Clyde

Old 06-26-2017, 04:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VIN lookup

Originally Posted by woox4
Write down the VIN and enter it here FordEtis home page it will tell you exactly what it is and its build specs.

Good luck!
Hey, you sure this VIN lookup still works? It won't take mine.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:12 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XKRdad
Hey, you sure this VIN lookup still works? It won't take mine.
Mine worked yesterday.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dsd
Mine worked yesterday.
This is what I get back.

"We are sorry, but no information could be found for the VIN/Registration number you entered - SAJDA42B833A35915
Click here to check and re-enter the information you supplied." Mine is an '03 XKR. Perhaps you can try the VIN and see what you get.