XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

i can't sleep...2005 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Cool Back to Jaguar XKR Coupes.....

Originally Posted by 80sRule
Son? I thought you were younger than I am?

No judgement, I just turned 30 and feel now is when I'll have to start lying about my age lol.

The DB9 is cool and all but I'm waiting until things settle down at work before I make another purchase . I want an early DB9 Volante, preferably with the graziano manual but will settle for the automatic. Preferred color being gun metal gray, not black, with either a black or saddle interior. Preferably a black top.
Guys & Gals! This is a Jaguar Forum! I haven't seen many Cars in this World of ours that are prettier than Bluefin's and my 2005 Jaguar XKR Coupes Silver or Black they both are knockouts....DSD just spent quite a bit of time explaining why I would not own a Ferrari and 80'sRule trying to explain why he wants an Aston DB9......Personally, I think the XKR is overall the prettier Automobile by far! I get comments all he time and as I have told everyone on the Forum, I've been chased down twice by people that just had to have the current Coupe that I was driving......That's why I've had so many over the years!

I'm keeping this one! Just to good looking.....

Billy Clyde in Houston

The following users liked this post:
prettybluefin (07-10-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

She here but .

I never said that I wouldn't keep the XKR! I've owned the car since January of 2011 and 67k miles. Now it's been 6.5 years and now at 104k. Longest I've ever owned a car is 7 years and most miles is 42k. I'm going to surpass both of that with my XKR. It's been cheap as chips to own and operate, relatively easy to work on, and very easy to live with as a daily driver 7 to 9 months of the year.

I'm running my XKR with no plans to sell it period. Just fix stuff when it breaks and preventative maintain it to a very high level. I don't look at it as a poor man's Aston but rather a beautiful fast car I can drive everyday for peanuts. For a daily driver, the XKR is a better choice than any Aston or Ferrari.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:33 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

I saw an XK8 vert this morning in Newport. I was super excited, as its only the 2nd one I have seen in the wild. I have yet to see another coupe. I am not sure what I will get once my son takes over my XKR. Maybe another coupe if I am so lucky to find one still in great shape!

I lust after many cars. I know Ferrari is not in my future, but damn it was gorgeous!

Old 07-11-2017, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

Why do you feel locked into giving your XKR to your son? If you continue to enjoy the car, keep it....

Old 07-11-2017, 09:20 AM

Jon, in 8 years, he can drive...and I'll be ready for another cat. We shall see what happens. He loves the XKR, but who knows when he is ready to drive...

Old 07-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

I would never hand over the keys to a supercharged GT to a newly-licensed, woefully inexperienced kid. That is a recipe for disaster to himself and anyone in the car with him and on the road around him. Start him out with something inexpensive and much safer to own and insure like a full-sized sedan with plenty of metal between him and the outside world. Make him prove his ability to stay safe behind the wheel before tempting him with far too much power....

Old 07-11-2017, 12:16 PM

my Dad raced cars on track as a hobby, so we always had a slew of AMAZING muscle cars at our disposal. we were taught well, and to respect our possessions. None of us (5 kids) ever got in an accident or anything.

Not every kid abuses privilege given to them, but I understand your point.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
I saw an XK8 vert this morning in Newport. I was super excited, as its only the 2nd one I have seen in the wild. I have yet to see another coupe. I am not sure what I will get once my son takes over my XKR. Maybe another coupe if I am so lucky to find one still in great shape!

I lust after many cars. I know Ferrari is not in my future, but damn it was gorgeous!
My impression is that there are some characteristic locations where you would be most likely to see these types of cars. Newport Beach area is one of them. I would also expect certain areas of northern California like Sausalito.

Doug

Old 07-11-2017, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
My impression is that there are some characteristic locations where you would be most likely to see these types of cars. Newport Beach area is one of them. I would also expect certain areas of northern California like Sausalito.

Doug
I am always on the lookout for them, how many have you seen? There was another at the Cars & Coffee last Sat, but I didnt get there quick enough to check it out...
You should come out for the drive next month

Old 07-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

There a a few I see regularly near where I work (Encino area). One attorney in the building where I work used to have a spectacular looking 2002 or 2003 Black Coupe with chrome wheels but he sold that a couple of years ago to get a pre-owned Porsche Carerra (in a reddish pink color). For some odd reason I have never been much of a Porsche fan and would be further put off by the upkeep.

There is also another guy near my office who has a 2006 copper black XK8 convertible (he is on this forum as O2manyfish). Then there is a gold couple I see every so often (looks like 1997 or 1998) and occasional others.

Still in a given day I can easily see dozens of Porsche, Mercedes, BMW's and not see a single XK8/XKR or XK.

One of these days I will have to make a point of attending one of those coffee get-togethers or drives.

Doug

prettybluefin (07-13-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

It's not an everyday thing to see another XK here in Houston...Occasionally, one will popup! I guess maybe 2 per week...There's not many out running around and that includes the newer XK's also.....Strange...I drive mine every day as a Business Car and have since 1998.......Either they have wrecked them all or they are garaged but you are right.....Not many left out there!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 07-12-2017, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs down

[QUOTE=Jon89;1719248]I would never hand over the keys to a supercharged GT to a newly-licensed, woefully inexperienced kid. That is a recipe for disaster to himself and anyone in the car with him and on the road around him. Start him out with something inexpensive and much safer to own and insure like a full-sized sedan with plenty of metal between him and the outside world. Make him prove his ability to stay safe behind the wheel before tempting him with far too much power....[/QUOTE

Jon89,

I'm sorry but this is a XK8/XKR Forum not a How to Raise Your Children Forum! How about getting off PBF's back! It's her XKR to do what PBF wants to do with her XKR! OK?

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 07-13-2017, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member

Billy Clyde,

I was not on her back, I was simply providing advice based upon my own life experience. I lost two close friends in high school back in 1970 because their parents gave them high-powered muscle cars shortly after they obtained their drivers licenses. They were both dead within 30 days of each other with one of them taking another person's life along with his. I believe it is never a good idea to put powerful vehicles in the hands of inexperienced, immature drivers regardless of how trustworthy the parents feel towards them. Their brains have years to go until full maturity is reached and the threat to themselves and others is simply too great to risk. It only takes a split-second to make a bad decision that will devastate the lives of multiple families forever. As one who has been through that experience, no amount of arguing about it will ever change my mind....

Old 07-13-2017, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,156 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Billy Clyde,

I was not on her back, I was simply providing advice based upon my own life experience. I lost two close friends in high school back in 1970 because their parents gave them high-powered muscle cars shortly after they obtained their drivers licenses. They were both dead within 30 days of each other with one of them taking another person's life along with his. I believe it is never a good idea to put powerful vehicles in the hands of inexperienced, immature drivers regardless of how trustworthy the parents feel towards them. Their brains have years to go until full maturity is reached and the threat to themselves and others is simply too great to risk. It only takes a split-second to make a bad decision that will devastate the lives of multiple families forever. As one who has been through that experience, no amount of arguing about it will ever change my mind....
FWIW Jon there is plenty of research that agrees ( as l do) and is also the reason many jurisdictions around the world restrict vehicle access based on a power rating system to new drivers.

Last edited by baxtor; 07-13-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Jon89
I would never hand over the keys to a supercharged GT to a newly-licensed, woefully inexperienced kid. That is a recipe for disaster to himself and anyone in the car with him and on the road around him. Start him out with something inexpensive and much safer to own and insure like a full-sized sedan with plenty of metal between him and the outside world. Make him prove his ability to stay safe behind the wheel before tempting him with far too much power....
Agreed. I bought my first car when I was 20 and it was a slow 20 year old clunker...a 1985 Series III XJ6

Old 07-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Default You guys have missed the point.....

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Agreed. I bought my first car when I was 20 and it was a slow 20 year old clunker...a 1985 Series III XJ6
Once again, the POINT IS: "What someone else does or what someone else says, is really none of your business and you should keep your comments to yourself".... Enough!

Billy Clyde

Old 07-13-2017, 04:40 PM

Oh wow! Didn't realize this was going on. First off, thank you to all that chimed in, and Billy, thank you, but I don't think anyone means harm.

My dad raised 5 kids. Muscle cars, Dart, Barracuda, Fords...we were all taught respect and to cherish property. None of us ever wrecked, and the youngest is now 38...

I think of driving like this: Some have it in them to be aggressive drivers, want to race, drive drunk, text and drive, etc... others are smarter.

I know people who are much older than legal age to drive, that do ALL OF THE ABOVE, so age is not really an issue, it is how you think of your actions...Do you ever go over the speed limit? Some would say that is putting your life in danger, right?

I am raising my son the best I can (straight A's, honor student, GATE program) as a single mom, and I will see how it is WHEN he is ready to drive. It is decision for me to make.

And who knows, by then, he may want a Hybrid, or a Classic Mustang. Right now, he wants this car. But things change.

Norri (07-14-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 04:44 PM

DOUG, we have plans to meet up next month in Huntington Beach, then drive down to Newport Coast for lunch. Message me if you want details. It will be on Saturday morning.

Have you seen many coupes? I see Verts, but never a coupe, except for a 2000 at a dealership...

Old 07-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,156 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Once again, the POINT IS: you should keep your comments to yourself".... Enough!

Billy Clyde
Kind of defeats the purpose of a FORUM

Jon89 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs down Once again "This is a Jaguar XK8-XKR FORUM"

Originally Posted by baxtor
Kind of defeats the purpose of a FORUM
Baxtor, Come on Man, "Let it go......"

Billy Clyde