XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

i can't sleep...2005 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 03:54 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

i was really interested in a convertible, but the stories about leaking terrified me. i test drove one, and the guy couldn't get the top up when it started to rain. it was dirt cheap ($6,000) but i can only imagine what the repair cost would be...
so i made a solid decision at that moment...i really prefer the solid top. its one sexy, sleek line...
the coupe is stunning. i really love it.

i am on the hunt for a zircon or seafrost still...but platinum is a good color. i am thrilled to even own mine.
cheers!

Originally Posted by Lannyl81
prettybluefin: yeah I did not think you would want to trade....if mine was a coupe I would not have made the offer!...LOL......guess most everyone wants a Vert since there are so few coupes out there....was hoping that you really wanted a Vert and was just settling for the coupe....oh well...I tried.

Have had this Vert for eight years now but have found that I prefer the lines of the coupe instead.

Enjoy your coupe "Bond girl".....

Old 01-24-2017, 07:52 AM
Received 142 Likes on 83 Posts

Yep the "green shower" is a known problem with the Verts. Was able to avoid the actual shower when I saw a drop of green fluid on the windshield header. The Jag dealer replaced all the lines under the extended warranty I had, no problems since.

When I got the XK8 in Jan 2009 I had to replace tires, brakes and have a bent wheel repaired that I had failed to notice. Think I spent like $1500 or so in the first month of ownership....so fully understand the "list".

Expecting to see a picture of the future owner/driver behind the wheel........

The following users liked this post:
prettybluefin (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 710 Likes on 352 Posts
Default plastic polish

prettybluefin,
I believe you were asking about plastic polish earlier.
I can recommend Mequires PlasticX for polishing yor plastic side markers.
In my previous life I ran an exotic car resto shop and had experience with many products...this new formulation of PlasticX works great...I think it contains Diatomaceous earth (the abrasiveness diminishes as it heats up from the friction)...whatever. My side lights were quite cloudy but I polished them 4 months ago and they are still fine.
btw...really a pretty car!

wj

prettybluefin (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 07:14 PM

well, i have only had her for a little over a week, but so far, just new front and rear brake pads (akebono ceramic)

need new tie rods, and new brake switch. (rear brake light bar isnt working because of faulty switch or loose wire)

the seat motor is acting up, but no one else will really drive this car, so im not worried about it at the moment

the car was a longterm lease in a nice beach city, and owned by a Dr...tons of service records, and in pretty amazing shape, so hopefully will be trouble free for a long time...

aaaaand your story confirms that i am happy that i did not get a convertible. i have heard far too many stories. you were lucky. but i miss having at least a moonroof!

Originally Posted by Lannyl81
Yep the "green shower" is a known problem with the Verts. Was able to avoid the actual shower when I saw a drop of green fluid on the windshield header. The Jag dealer replaced all the lines under the extended warranty I had, no problems since.

When I got the XK8 in Jan 2009 I had to replace tires, brakes and have a bent wheel repaired that I had failed to notice. Think I spent like $1500 or so in the first month of ownership....so fully understand the "list".

Expecting to see a picture of the future owner/driver behind the wheel........

Old 01-24-2017, 07:18 PM

so the ants will stay off the car then as well?
i tried a tiny dab of polishing compound from meguire's, but noticed condensation from the rain inside...so i stopped. i may just get new ones...they are not expensive.
and thank you, i love the car

Originally Posted by wymjym
prettybluefin,
I believe you were asking about plastic polish earlier.
I can recommend Mequires PlasticX for polishing yor plastic side markers.
In my previous life I ran an exotic car resto shop and had experience with many products...this new formulation of PlasticX works great...I think it contains Diatomaceous earth (the abrasiveness diminishes as it heats up from the friction)...whatever. My side lights were quite cloudy but I polished them 4 months ago and they are still fine.
btw...really a pretty car!

wj

Old 01-25-2017, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
new brake switch. (rear brake light bar isnt working because of faulty switch or loose wire)
Do you get the "cruise control unavailable - check rear bulbs" text in the message center? This message typically points to the brake switch, but can also be, you know, a bad bulb.

If none of the brake lights work, you might want to check the fuses first. The brake switch is not terribly cheap, and new ones are not terribly durable either, and a bit of a pain to install. You might want to eliminate other causes before swapping it out.

the seat motor is acting up
This is another well known issue. If the passenger side works, you can swap them (they are right under the front edge of the seat). Typically, the "problem" moves with the control module. It can be repaired for a nominal fee.

hopefully will be trouble free for a long time.
I think you started with a remarkable car in stunning cosmetic condition, but altogether, these aging cars are all made with all the same parts, and associated flaws. You should expect to keep getting involved with the maintenance/repair aspect of this car going forward. Personally, I have come to terms with the fact that, given enough time, my car will likely be hit by every single one of the issues reported here.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,271 Likes on 697 Posts

Saw this one pop up and thought of your quest for zircon or seafrost.

This is a rare one. Only 14K miles on it too.

2006 Jaguar XK XKR VICTORY EDITION | eBay

Old 01-25-2017, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz
Do you get the "cruise control unavailable - check rear bulbs" text in the message center? This message typically points to the brake switch, but can also be, you know, a bad bulb.

If none of the brake lights work, you might want to check the fuses first. The brake switch is not terribly cheap, and new ones are not terribly durable either, and a bit of a pain to install. You might want to eliminate other causes before swapping it out.

yes, my mechanic has not gotten under the panel to check wires etc yet. he just ran the code, but those 2 warnings do come up. the other 2 brake lights work, just the bar is out. hoping its a bulb or fuse issue...

This is another well known issue. If the passenger side works, you can swap them (they are right under the front edge of the seat). Typically, the "problem" moves with the control module. It can be repaired for a nominal fee.

thank you for the info!

I think you started with a remarkable car in stunning cosmetic condition, but altogether, these aging cars are all made with all the same parts, and associated flaws. You should expect to keep getting involved with the maintenance/repair aspect of this car going forward. Personally, I have come to terms with the fact that, given enough time, my car will likely be hit by every single one of the issues reported here.

Best of luck, keep us posted.
thank you! i fully expect to have to do some repair, since it is a 2005. but at a mere fraction of the new price, i am still beyond the moon to call her mine. a dream car to own for sure. i am lucky that it has 6 pages of maintenance records, and it seems was a very well maintained lease car. my 8 year old can't wait to drive it someday!

Old 01-25-2017, 03:11 PM

OMG OMG OMG! gorgeous!

Originally Posted by rothwell
Saw this one pop up and thought of your quest for zircon or seafrost.

This is a rare one. Only 14K miles on it too.

2006 Jaguar XK XKR VICTORY EDITION | eBay

Old 01-27-2017, 04:42 PM

just got her washed, waxed, & detailed.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 710 Likes on 352 Posts

well that did it!
I'm now saving my pennies, hope to add one as pretty before summer hits.

wj

prettybluefin (01-27-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 10:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Was this the car that was for sale in Pasadena?

Old 01-30-2017, 09:29 PM

prior owner was in newport beach

Originally Posted by jbarbakow
Was this the car that was for sale in Pasadena?

Old 01-31-2017, 12:25 AM

the self-adjusting headlights just freaked me out. haha. pretty cool feature.
does the 2005 XKR have power folding mirrors?

also, anyone have some good tips for storing my x-type since this baby has become my daily driver?

Old 01-31-2017, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I believe folding mirrors were an option on all XK8 series. There were a couple of special editions that were packed with special features, bet it was included in them.

John

prettybluefin (01-31-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 04:36 PM

a few little mods i have done myself. inexpensive and really change the look to more modern.

*** clear side markers from england. i ruined the first set by using super glue to affix the new lenses to the fixture. it turned them cloudy (as seen in pic) ordered another set, used clear Gorilla epoxy. white LED bulbs inside

*** 6000k LED fog lights from Sylvania

loving the ALL WHITE front end now

*** smoked side indicators from england. red LED bulbs inside

*** OEM 3-d chrome growler center caps, yes, also from england...i had to drill out the original ones that were stuck on tight.

loving the monochromatic look.

no more orange!

replaced the red side marker with white LED. side blinker has a red LED inside. <br/>much sleeker look with all white front end

Last edited by prettybluefin; 03-21-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:41 PM

a few days ago in corona del mar. a little rainy, but gorgeous...

cjd777 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Well I'll be, I never would have thought clear side lights would be an improvement, let alone look that good. I do like them
Nice job. John

prettybluefin (03-22-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Well I'll be, I never would have thought clear side lights would be an improvement, let alone look that good. I do like them
Nice job. John

thanks, John!

Old 03-21-2017, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Thumbs up

Pretty Ms. bluefin, The darn thing looks just like mine, except mine is Ebony with Ivory interior and has Montreal Wheels...How many miles does it have? It really looks good! When you think about it, our XKR's are 12 to 13 years old now. Look on the driver's door post and the little tag will tell you the Month and Year it was built. Mine says 2/2004 even though it is a 2005 Model. The door entry plate should have an "R" and on the Front Fenders, under the Side Repeater Lights it should have a rectangular "R" in Green, Red and Chrome....That means it has the "R" Performance Package! (Brembos, Handling Package and such)... Don't let anyone try to trade you out of those Detroit Wheels, as they don't make them anymore.....and I'm glad you found the little Leather pouch that has the air-valves and wheel equipment....Tip, always look for the BBS on the rim, that's where the Air-Valve is....under the little screw. Be sure to protect the little Air Valves with your life, as they are getting hard to come by! Most of the Tire Guys don't know what they are so be sure to let them know that you want them back!!! I just had one destroyed in a tire mounting machine last week. They told me they would replace it...so , we'll see....

If you still have he original Brake-Pads, you need to change them to a different type as the original ones will throw off dust and make the wheels dirty.....See those "Bimmer's" with the dirty wheels?...That's European Brake pads that cause that...but you don't need those real expense ceramic pads...Your Jag should have an "R" on the side of the calipers and drilled Rotors, if so you need to get some Hawk Performance HP Plus Pads for the front and back. They cost about $185. a pair for the front and $155. a pair for the rear.....No more brake dust and a lot more than enough braking power...

Keep it pretty, keep it stock and don't hit any speed bumps!

Billy Clyde in Houston