XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

i can't sleep...2005 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by kstevusa
Ms. Bluefin, your coupe is stunning and the CLEAR markers & repeaters look great. OK to pm you regarding source. I've tried Xkz and Adamdesh but have not found adequate answers to a few questions. From 1 coupe to another :-)

thank you!!! i am very happy with the coupe.

here ya go: these are sources i used... they will take a while to get here since overseas, but worth the wait. and again, do NOT use super glue!

the ebay seller is 8RU
his store is XKZ Parts for the clear markers $30 a set
ONLY use Gorilla Epoxy for assembly, as any type of super glue will cause them to turn white!

the smoked side indicators are from Radio World.uk
$15 for smoked or clear. (IMO, both clear on yours would be great)

and they are not crystal clear, they have a diamond like pattern in the acrylic to dissipate the light...

https://www.rw-online.co.uk/ford-mon...er-lenses.html

YES, they say FORD, but they will fit XKR.

I replaced the oem bulbs with LED. much brighter!
use chrome or white tip bulbs.

the turn signal "sound" will sound fast, but the lights outside on the car operate normally (they wont flash fast) because the LED use far less current, they will emit a faint glow for about 20 mins after you turn the engine off...FYI

be sure to post pics when you do it !

Old 04-14-2017, 10:11 PM

if anyone needs a duplicate key, or wants to change to a flip key, my guys in LA do it.

$250 including new high quality fob, programming & new cut key.
you keep your original key. no cutting it up!

message me if you want their info.

old vs new flip key
(no more headlight button though)

newly cut key in
closed position

love having a key that closes

The following users liked this post:
bcprice36 (04-14-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 12:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like that key I wish someone in the UK did the conversion

prettybluefin (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I made a switchblade key as well, from my extra key. Was pretty easy. Only issue is I constantly play with the flip button.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:44 PM

Julian,. I have the flip type fob for my xtype, but find the rubbery buttons get gummy and the contacts underneath it lose strength over time... (I had to press very hard to unlock). wanted to try the hard plastic fob this time...

are you good at welding? perhaps you could do the flip conversion with a fob like mine for others?

#didijustpimpyouout?

Old 04-15-2017, 01:58 PM

Yeah I can see that happening. The key I used to convert had that issue, but it was easy to clean up and get working again.
Dont need to weld anything, just know how with a Dremel. Sure I can do it for folks, only if they get the fob, and show me they have a second key. In case an accident happens with their transponder chip.
So where did this new fob come from? Cool that it programmed to car.
Personally I need the lights/"find my ****" alarm button. I ALWAYS lose my car in parking structures!

prettybluefin (04-16-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

WAFlowers, I ordered the Clear Blinker Lights from England, as I couldn't find real Clear here in the USA,,,,,,I got the Marker Light from England also, they came from Pretty Bluefin's contact on ebay....which I can't find right now or I would send it to you.....Also, you have to take the Marker lights out of the car and Pop the old Amber covers off and glue the clear Lens on to your bases.......When you put them back in, you should use those little Chrome/Amber bulbs or you will see the little Amber bulbs through the lens during the Day.....Same for the Blinkers, which came from:
Performance Lights | High Performance Car Lighting - Follow their directions to Side Repeaters and buy the Crystal clear ones only......They really look good! I ordered 4 sets as if you go through a Car Wash with those Whirly-Magaggs sometimes they break he plastic holder on the back. I guess you could glue them but I've not done that yet...

Billy Clyde in Houston

prettybluefin (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 11:39 PM

Just before sunset- big booty shot on Capistrano Beach, Ca.
Took her on a "spirited" drive along PCH earlier today

Old 04-19-2017, 10:12 PM
Arrow

changed the rear license plate bulbs to LED. so pretty! amazing how the OEM bulbs are so yellow and blah...

and the LED were just $1 per pair via Ebay.

next: footwell LED mod...what color though???

Old 04-19-2017, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Bluefin, I just sent you a PM! BC in Houston

prettybluefin (04-20-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Cool

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
Just before sunset- big booty shot on Capistrano Beach, Ca.
Took her on a "spirited" drive along PCH earlier today

It's a Beauty! No doubt about it.........BC

Old 04-20-2017, 02:43 AM

I dig the LEDs! I've only played with LEDs once, it was on my BMW M3. They kinda wrecked havoc with bulb out warnings. which is weird cuz the tail, brake and angel eye lights are LED. One plate one was soldered to a backup camera, and of course THAT one burned out in a few months. Then it was a whole rewiring project, to save the camera, and get a plate light back. I went back to regular bulbs (where originally installed). Have you ever had bad luck with LEDs?

Old 04-20-2017, 03:09 AM

Julian,

I have installed LED on my front clear markers (white bulbs), my side indicators (red bulbs) and now my rear plate...I have never gotten any warnings since I have replaced the OEM bulbs... The only "issue" is that the blinker sounds fast for a few seconds.

The lights still blink at a normal speed, it's just the computerized sound that goes wacky for a second...

And the LED's glow faintly for about 20 mins after I turn the engine off...small price to pay for cooler bulbs and much brighter light!

(have you seen the pic of my all white front end?)

Old 04-20-2017, 03:28 AM

Cool, yeah I guess BMW is a whole different beast than Jaguar. BMW is WAY to technical. Like a gamer computer on wheels. Thing is ALWAYS nagging at me for something, I did wrong.

Text me the pic, did you sort out that yellow high beam bulb issue?

Old 04-20-2017, 05:08 PM
Received 569 Likes on 275 Posts

FYI, Clear Front Reflector Marker lens again listed on UK E-Bay. Still warm for molding :-)

Old 04-20-2017, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Exclamation LED Bulbs in a CAMBus Jaguar XKR

Julian, You've seen what happened to your Bimmer! Well, the Jag is a CAMBus car also! Do not mess with LED Bulbs, unless you buy a kit as I did for my High Beams... They sell Headlight kits which are made to work around the CAMBus and really look great! But without a kit; for example I replaced all of my Taillights with LED Bulbs...First thing that happened was the "Check Rear Lights" warning came on and in addition the Blinkers blinked real fast! Then about 2 months later one of the LED Bulb Companies came out with a Bulb that they said would not turn the Check Lights warning on, so I bought a complete set and guess what? I had to send them back as they turned it on again! The LED in the High Beam is still working great and Man it is BRIGHT! As I have said before, I can see forever!!!!! Julian, I give up and find some really bright Halogen H-1's for your Fog Lights "Sylvania zKe" and they are as bright as LED's......Sylvania and Osram are making Halogen Bulbs with Zenon in them to compete with LED and HID. My Fog Lights are just as bright as LED and pure white, no Blue tint like some of the LED's. So, there is a work around! WoW! I didn't mean to write a book.........

BC in Houston

Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Julian, You've seen what happened to your Bimmer! Well, the Jag is a CAMBus car also! Do not mess with LED Bulbs, unless you buy a kit as I did for my High Beams... They sell Headlight kits which are made to work around the CAMBus and really look great! But without a kit; for example I replaced all of my Taillights with LED Bulbs...First thing that happened was the "Check Rear Lights" warning came on and in addition the Blinkers blinked real fast! Then about 2 months later one of the LED Bulb Companies came out with a Bulb that they said would not turn the Check Lights warning on, so I bought a complete set and guess what? I had to send them back as they turned it on again! The LED in the High Beam is still working great and Man it is BRIGHT! As I have said before, I can see forever!!!!! Julian, I give up and find some really bright Halogen H-1's for your Fog Lights "Sylvania zKe" and they are as bright as LED's......Sylvania and Osram are making Halogen Bulbs with Zenon in them to compete with LED and HID. My Fog Lights are just as bright as LED and pure white, no Blue tint like some of the LED's. So, there is a work around! WoW! I didn't mean to write a book.........

BC in Houston
LOL, all cool, good info! Yeah thats exactly what I thought would happen too. Thank you BC

Old 04-21-2017, 12:06 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a set of H1 LED bulbs coming to try for a foglight upgrade. If they don't work I will give those Sylvania zKe bulbs a try.

As noted by BC, you do have to select CANbus safe bulbs. But they are so common these days it isn't too difficult to find them.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by WAFlowers
I have a set of H1 LED bulbs coming to try for a foglight upgrade. If they don't work I will give those Sylvania zKe bulbs a try.

As noted by BC, you do have to select CANbus safe bulbs. But they are so common these days it isn't too difficult to find them.

WA, Where do you find CAMBus safe bulbs? I found some on CARid but they didn't work and I had to return them.......I would love to find some that truly did work......They are really great looking and I would have them now, if they didn't turn on "Check Lights" warning...
Also, the Guy in England that makes those Clear side Bumper light Lens can be found at: 2 x Jaguar XK8 XKR Clear Side Bumper Reflector Lenses | eBay They look great with a Chrome/Amber Bulb.

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-22-2017, 09:43 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
WA, Where do you find CAMBus safe bulbs? I found some on CARid but they didn't work and I had to return them.......I would love to find some that truly did work......They are really great looking and I would have them now, if they didn't turn on "Check Lights" warning...
Also, the Guy in England that makes those Clear side Bumper light Lens can be found at: 2 x Jaguar XK8 XKR Clear Side Bumper Reflector Lenses | eBay They look great with a Chrome/Amber Bulb.
I'm seeing CANbus bulbs all over Amazon and Ebay these days (note the spelling - 'N' not 'M' if you are doing a search). Haven't tried any yet, however.

When I return from my extended road trip (projected 5,000+ miles in 2 weeks) I'm going to order those clear side lenses. I already have the amber LEDs I plan to put in them. Amber is necessary to avoid tickets.

Sadly we had to leave Kat at home and take the Caddie SUV instead. We are taking up a bunch of stuff for our kids including a 9' Christmas tree that had been a store display where my wife works, my wife's compound bow, my compound bow and more. Kat would have had to tow a trailer (not that we have a hitch) which would have defeated the purpose of driving her.

We'll take the Jag on our next road trip in the Fall!

Last edited by WAFlowers; 04-22-2017 at 09:46 PM.