XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

I have a 2005 XK8 that will not start

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 2005 XK8 that will not start

I am told it has a bad BPM module. I was told by the Jaguar dealership that only they could fix it, but I had to find the part as no new were available.
I found a used one on eBay had it towed to the dealership only to be told they can fix it.
they say I have to find someone to wipe it or find a new one.
Help?

Old 03-23-2021, 05:56 AM
Received 314 Likes on 236 Posts

Rubbish. If it comes from a similar car, they just need to plug it in. I know because I've done it. In fact, I actually used a newer part number and it was still fine.

The big problem you have is that there is unlikely to be anyone at the dealership that was trained on these cars, so they have no clue how to fix them. So you will end up spending a fortune with people that can't fix your car, then you'll get fed up with it and just get rid of it. They have probably mis-diagnosed the problem, fitted the replacement BPM to no effect and are now scratching around for answers.

Changing a BPM takes about 30 minutes the first time you do it, so if they charge any more than that they are ripping you off. I'd get the car back and do it yourself.

Perhaps if you give us some insights into what has happened so far, we can help?

Last edited by bladerunner919; 03-23-2021 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
Rubbish. If it comes from a similar car, they just need to plug it in. I know because I've done it. In fact, I actually used a newer part number and it was still fine.

The big problem you have is that there is unlikely to be anyone at the dealership that was trained on these cars, so they have no clue how to fix them. So you will end up spending a fortune with people that can't fix your car, then you'll get fed up with it and just get rid of it. They have probably mis-diagnosed the problem, fitted the replacement BPM to no effect and are now scratching around for answers.

Changing a BPM takes about 30 minutes the first time you do it, so if they charge any more than that they are ripping you off. I'd get the car back and do it yourself.

Perhaps if you give us some insights into what has happened so far, we can help?
THAT^^^ and double that.
I would love to know more about what's going in with the car as well...

Old 03-23-2021, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,427 Likes on 1,569 Posts

+1 to all above.

When you say 'does not start', do you mean that it will crank but not fire, or just not crank?

Has the car been standing for some time?

If you have another key, have you tried that?

Has the dealership pulled any OBD codes as part of the diagnosis?

Old 03-23-2021, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,820 Likes on 2,247 Posts

kt4360, welcome to the forum. Please visit the new member area and introduce yourself and your car. You need to locate an independent shop that repairs Jags of this era. If you would provide your location one of the members may be able to suggest a shop.
New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 03-23-2021, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,518 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I'd say start by collecting the diagnostics code. You paid for diagnostics, the service department should share them with you. Then share them here.

The basics are that you should have a strong, new-ish battery (nothing good comes from a weak battery when digital electronics are involved), and you need to try the "hard reset" procedure ($0).

Zooming out, all the control modules in our cars communicate with one another over 1 (or more) of 3 separate data networks/buses (CAN, SCP and ISO-9141). Sometimes, a "bad" module can crash the network it is attached to, and no other module can communicate over that network. With exceptions, disconnecting the offending module restores the communication on that bus.

For the car to start, there is a specific sequence of steps that need to happen exactly right involving the key, the transponder module and the security module. If that anti-theft sequence is not happening exactly right, the ECU is not letting the car start (the starter activates, I believe, but fuel is not delivered). That sequence involve digital messages over these data networks. If they are somehow non operational, there is no starting the car.

As already noted, history of events leading up to this diagnostic would likely help.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:19 PM
Received 204 Likes on 144 Posts

Agree RJ327. If you can find a good indie Jag mechanic, much cheaper and for these cars, maybe more knowledgeable. I've got a great one in Sacramento (CA). I've talked to several Bay Area shops that sound good. J&G in San Ramon. Bacchaus British in Dublin (reasonable price on full tensioner replacement). Good luck