XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts
Default I need advice

I'm getting ready to go on a long trip (~6k miles) and really want to take my XKR as I will be driving through some beautiful and remote country, giving me a chance to have some real fun. However, yesterday, right after I had it inspected (like on the way home from the state inspection) I got a restricted performance message (codes P0171/174) but no other symptoms; the car runs fine. Before that I had not had any codes since last summer (when I got the same 2 codes) after I upgraded my s/c. That time, the car ran poorly, “chugged” when I tried to accelerate too quickly, etc. The problem last summer turned out to be the result of the s/c upgrade I had done. Specifically, I had the intake/outlet ports bored out by EuroToys, which left very little sealing surface. The work was done by motorcarman and he initially followed the instructions and just used silicon as the seal. However that only lasted about 2 days. Bob then used a regular gasket that he manually trimmed down to fit correctly. That seemed to work and I had no more trouble. Since last summer I've put about 2k miles on the car. However, in February, my fuel pumps failed. I had them replaced at the Jag dealer in Jackson, MS and have driven the car about 600 miles since then. I know there are several things than can result in the codes that I got, including a vacuum leak (as I had last summer) and a fuel delivery problem (potentially related to the new fuel pumps). While it’s not acting the same as it did last summer, I’m not sure if the vacuum leak has returned, if the problem is related to the new fuel pumps, or if it’s some other issue. I'm supposed to leave on this trip on Tuesday (and really have no time to get the car to motorcarman or anyone else) and will be gone about 3 months. Normally, I’d just wait and see if this problem corrects itself as the car “learns” or becomes more of an issue. However, I’m headed out west and will be driving through some remote parts of Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, etc. and I’m getting this mental image of buzzards circling my bleached bones should I have a breakdown in one of these remote locations. What do you guys think? Is this the kind of problem that would cause me to be stranded? Would you take the car on this kind of a trip?

Mark

I'm getting ready to go on a long trip (~6k miles) and really want to take my XKR as I will be driving through some beautiful and remote country, giving me a chance to have some real fun.

However, yesterday, right after I had it inspected (like on the way home from the state inspection) I got a restricted performance message (codes P0171/174) but no other symptoms; the car runs fine.

Before that I had not had any codes since last summer (when I got the same 2 codes) after I upgraded my s/c. That time, the car ran poorly, “chugged” when I tried to accelerate too quickly, etc.

The problem last summer turned out to be the result of the s/c upgrade I had done. Specifically, I had the intake/outlet ports bored out by EuroToys, which left very little sealing surface.

The work was done by motorcarman and he initially followed the instructions and just used silicon as the seal. However that only lasted about 2 days. Bob then used a regular gasket that he manually trimmed down to fit correctly.

That seemed to work and I had no more trouble. Since last summer I've put about 2k miles on the car. However, in February, my fuel pumps failed.

I had them replaced at the Jag dealer in Jackson, MS and have driven the car about 600 miles since then. I know there are several things than can result in the codes that I got, including a vacuum leak (as I had last summer) and a fuel delivery problem (potentially related to the new fuel pumps).

While it’s not acting the same as it did last summer, I’m not sure if the vacuum leak has returned, if the problem is related to the new fuel pumps, or if it’s some other issue.

I'm supposed to leave on this trip on Tuesday (and really have no time to get the car to motorcarman or anyone else) and will be gone about 3 months.

Normally, I’d just wait and see if this problem corrects itself as the car “learns” or becomes more of an issue. However, I’m headed out west and will be driving through some remote parts of Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, etc. and I’m getting this mental image of buzzards circling my bleached bones should I have a breakdown in one of these remote locations.

What do you guys think? Is this the kind of problem that would cause me to be stranded? Would you take the car on this kind of a trip?

Mark

Last edited by JimC64; 05-06-2014 at 06:41 PM. Reason: PLEASE CREATE LINE BREAKS!!.....LONG UNBROKEN LINES OF TEXT ARE HEARD TO READ
Old 05-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

Find the root cause first and fix it.
If no time, rent a car for the drive.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,274 Likes on 699 Posts

Do the codes reappear immediately after clearing them?

I would be concerned if they keep coming back. If after clearing you did not see them again before next Tuesday then I would go for it.

The following users liked this post:
mjlaris (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Being that you are seeing the code on both banks it suggests something common between the two sides.

Do you have the ability to check the fuel trims? One thing to do is warm the car up and read the fuel trims at idle and then at a higher RPM where vacuum is lower and the total air flow is higher.

If it is a vacuum leak, you should see very high fuel trims at idle and then something more normal at the higher RPM.

You might also inspect the intake tube for damage/leaks. And check that there isn't oil in the intake tube (sign of a plugged up part load breather).

Last, you could try cleaning the MAF, although if you don't see any indication of oil or other problems in the intake, that probably isn't going to change much.

Good luck!

mjlaris (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rothwell
Do the codes reappear immediately after clearing them?

I would be concerned if they keep coming back. If after clearing you did not see them again before next Tuesday then I would go for it.

The codes do not reappear immediately. I can clear them and then drive normally. Sometimes they will reappear 10 minutes later and other times not until the next time I drive.

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Being that you are seeing the code on both banks it suggests something common between the two sides.

Do you have the ability to check the fuel trims? One thing to do is warm the car up and read the fuel trims at idle and then at a higher RPM where vacuum is lower and the total air flow is higher.

If it is a vacuum leak, you should see very high fuel trims at idle and then something more normal at the higher RPM.

You might also inspect the intake tube for damage/leaks. And check that there isn't oil in the intake tube (sign of a plugged up part load breather).

Last, you could try cleaning the MAF, although if you don't see any indication of oil or other problems in the intake, that probably isn't going to change much.

Good luck!

Yes, the fact that I was seeing both P0171/174 told me it had to be a common problem. The codes have come in twice while I was idling, once while I was driving at about 45 mph, and once while I was driving about 70 mph. Unfortunately, because of a stroke I had several years ago, my left arm does not work very well and greatly limits the work I can do myself. I plan on driving it some more this weekend but If I can't find the problem, I'll have to leave it here and take my X-Type. However, I find this is getting very old. Every time I want to take this car on a trip, I can't because I'm afraid I'll get stranded.

Mark

Last edited by mjlaris; 05-02-2014 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,399 Likes on 2,871 Posts

Regardless of whether you decide to do the trip in your XKR or in your X-Type, spend some time before you leave doing a bit of research on potential Jaguar repair locations along your planned route just in case. Being away from home for so long means that any serious repairs will probably be in the hands of others, so know what your options are before you hit the road. And if you don't already have an AAA Motor Club Plus membership with extended towing, you may want to sign up now. In my neck of the woods it costs $79 per year. That could be money well spent if you find yourself stranded a thousand miles away from home....

Good luck....

mjlaris (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 09:36 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Mark,

I was first going to say pack a scantool, laptop, basic tool kit and go which is my approach to long journeys (the three countries in a day category) but, having read your posts again, I'd consider a more cautious approach.

With the limited time available before departure, you only have enough to check the possible causes advised in earlier posts, clear the codes and put enough miles on for the necessary two drive cycles to see if they come back.

If they don't come back (which often happens with these particular codes) you're good to go. If they do show up again, it's only worth the risk if you can accept the delay and inconvenience of the worst case scenario where it happens again a long way from help.

Whichever vehicle you decide to take, enjoy the trip. It sounds a wonderful route.

Graham

mjlaris (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Cleaned the MAF, cleared the codes and then drove around all day. Some highway, some city, some stop and go. Stopped and started the car 6 or 8 times and no codes have reappeared. I plan to do the same tomorrow and on Monday and if the codes don't reappear, I'll be driving my XKR on this long trip. That said, I do plan on getting a AAA membership w/ extended towing as recommended above. Thanks so much guys for your advice and recommendations. It's been said before and I'll say it again, this is the best forum on the Internet.

Mark

The following 4 users liked this post by mjlaris:
GGG (05-04-2014), Hdpartsman00XKR (05-03-2014), sklimii (05-03-2014), zjdmm1 (05-04-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind that once you get north of Denver there will be no Jag dealers or people interested in Jags. Good Luck.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thomasso
Keep in mind that once you get north of Denver there will be no Jag dealers or people interested in Jags. Good Luck.

Actually, there is a Jag dealer in Boise, ID, which I will travel through, and several European Auto shops in Tri-Cities, WA, which is where I'm headed, that claim to work on Jags. But, yes, I will be in some remote locations. Any forum members out that way? My route is shown on the attached map. Wish me luck. I will not be back home until sometime in August.

Mark

Attached Thumbnails I need advice-summer-2014-trip.jpg  

Last edited by mjlaris; 05-04-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 562 Posts

Wow Mark, that is almost coast to coast twice! Really get to stretch the cat's legs on this trip. Best sure and keep us updated as you go with both comments and pictures please.

Best of luck. Looks like a great trip in the making.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

It's actually a little more that 2x cost to cost; altogether it's 6500 miles. It's supposed to be good driving weather this week so I plan on taking plenty of photos of my kitty, especially in that big sand box we call the southwest.

Mark

Old 05-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Mark, I urge you to NOT take I-94 through North Dakota and stay on I-90 through South Dakota in stead. Better roads, more places to stop, and much more interesting scenery. As a bonus you don't have to cut through the heart of Minnesota, and you drive right through my little town of Luverne, MN when you just get into the state. We would certainly love to see you, time permitting of course. Plus you could be reunited with your original three piece grille on my XK8

Also, there is a great little independent shop in Sioux Falls, SD that I would trust more than the dealership in Minneapolis, and if you really needed a dealer, the dealership in Omaha, NE is great (but Classic Import Repair would have you covered for pretty much anything) Hopefully you won't need either of their services.

The following 2 users liked this post by K.Westra:
JimC64 (05-06-2014), mjlaris (05-04-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

There was really no reason why I was getting on I-94 other that AAA routed me that way. I will not be in any rush so I'll plan a night lay over in Luverne, MN sometime the first week in June, to visit my grille . I'm teaching a 3 week nuclear engineering class in Richland, WA. Then I'm driving to Syracuse, NY to teach a nuclear engineering seminar (1 day only at the end of June) and spend a few weeks with my family. Then I'm teaching another 3 week nuclear engineering class outside of Philadelphia the last 3 weeks of July. When that class is over, I'm driving to Georgia to visit my niece, and then to Jackson, MS to visit my other niece, and then finally back home towards mid-August.

PM me you address and phone number and the name of a good hotel and it'll be a plan.

Mark

Old 05-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stop by

I thought you were going thru Denver and then into the Dakotas. Anyway it look like you will be going thru Butte Mt on I90. Stop by. Tom.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Nice one on the possible fix Mark, here's hoping.

Looking forward to plenty of roadtrip pics back on the forum at some point too...

Old 05-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My concern would be the cost of a tow truck taking the car back 6K miles. I guess if this happens, you can rent a U-Haul truck with a car dolly. Best wishes and I hope you never need this information!

Old 05-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Default It's Baaack!

It waited until I was past the last Jag dealer for awhile before it reared it's ugly head again. Got Restricted Performance this afternoon. Symptoms are a little different. I get it when I'm doing city driving or if I stop and then get back on the highway. It clears after about 10 minutes at highway speed but comes back the next time I slow down. I am convinced it's a vacuum leak. I have not seen any symptoms except the computer message and a going to try to make it to Washington and ser if I can get it fixed there.

Mark

Old 05-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Received 287 Likes on 205 Posts

Mark:
I had a restricted performance problem about a year ago which I was able to remedy by cleaning the connector contacts on the under side of the driver side engine fuse block. It may be worth a try in your case. At any rate, best of luck and hope you have a great trip.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Mark,
For what it might be worth, we went through a very similar scenario with my son's 98 XJR. We ultimately unhooked the plug going to the throttle position sensor, filed the teeth on the plug gently to remove any possible corrosion, sprayed contact cleaner on both parts of the plug, and gently bent (slightly) the teeth to ensure constant contact. This was almost a year ago, and so far so good.....although I have probably just jinxed it.
Hope that helps.
Dave

Quick Reply: I need advice