XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

I'm going to make this car reliable even if it kills me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015 | 04:01 PM
|
Default I'm going to make this car reliable even if it kills me!

You may have read my threads on the restoration of my 2000 XK8.

1. Transmission out and partial rebuild
2. Rear end out and cleaned up
3. Front end, all bushings, shocks, and shock mounts replaced
4. Engine, all new hoses, spark plugs, timing chain and tensioners, water pump, thermostat housing, MAF sensor, etc.
5. Body stripped and repainted
6. Interior cleaned up and seats redone with leather stain
7. Convertible top rams sent out to be redone
8. Rust cleaned up including parts of the floor board cut out.

The car runs very well but everyday there is something. System lean, Intake Air Temp code (I have replaced the accordion air intake). Some squeaks in the rear end. Check rear light message (I have replaced the brake switch)

You get the picture. Well, I will get this car running reliably. It's my reason for living
I can't let this car beat me.

The following users liked this post:
oyster (07-19-2015)
Old 07-18-2015 | 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Keep at it, most are very reliable but some are just a PIA. Mines been great but every now and then it will act up for no appearance reason.

Old 07-18-2015 | 06:08 PM
GGG

Good for you.

Senior Member Jeh with an XJ40 has a great line in his forum Signature:

"Because its a Jaguar. And ----- even if your pushing it down the street --- Everyone feels better in a Jaguar"

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 07-18-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2015 | 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

You will appreciate your kitty more, having done all the work yourself.

My tranny couldn't even be rebuilt, because somehow the goo they put in it, so it would run for a couple of weeks after I bought it, overheated EVERYTHING. I then bought a trans out of a flood car, with only 41,000 miles on it for $750, and flushed it out with over 80 litres of transfluid, a few large buckets, an open return line, a hose going into the fill hole, and an electric pump.

I bought 16" wire wheels, and had to skin my front calipers, so the front wheels would fit, and look vintage.

I cut louvers out of a 38 Plymouth's hood, cut two large holes in my hood, and installed them, so my car would look more XKE like.

I replaced my fuel pump, and calibrated my fuel gauge, because I had to carry 5 gallons of gas with me, because I ran out of gas a couple of times. The guy owning it before me had installed the sending unit upside down, and bent it like a clothes hanger, so it would kind of work.

I took seat and window switches apart and repaired them, because I could not afford to replace them.

I put new leather covers on the seats. I diagnosed and repaired my evap system, that consisted of a hose plugged with the end of a broom stick, going into the tank, a couple of cannisters connected to nothing, and wires hanging behind the LF wheel, where the evap pump should have been.

In order to get my Harmon Kardon CD player to work, I had to remove hay, seeds, a dried up mouse body, blew it out, and replaced a capacitor.

It was the only high dollar car that I ever felt I had been taken on, and only paid $3000 for.

Now it is perfect, and I am so proud I got her back to better than when she was when new....I actually LOVE THIS CAR!!! That means a lot, if you look at the partial list of the cars and motorcycles I have resurrected, after being someone else's junk.

I am too old and broken down now, for another restoration, because I started in my automobile apprenticeship, when we still blew off asbestos brakes, and clutches, because there was no such magical spray called brake clean. We sanded and painted cars, before anyone even thought of wearing anything more than a handkerchief over their nose. My arthritic knees, broken fingers, and scars all over my upper appendages, were all part of the job, and I knew that going in.

I'm glad I love this one, because there will be no more coming from my hands.....Be cool....You always feel better about something that you built, than bought........Mike

The following 7 users liked this post by mrplow58:
batroute (07-19-2015), BobF (07-19-2015), cjd777 (07-18-2015), DevonDavid (08-15-2015), johns55 (07-18-2015), MediaBobNY (07-19-2015), sklimii (07-19-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-18-2015 | 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

There are a finite number of parts on the car, you're well on your way !

Old 07-18-2015 | 10:05 PM
|

I think I'm half way there

Old 07-18-2015 | 10:12 PM
|

I have a Cadillac SRX which is a problematic vehicle. I have done a lot of work on it and now it's semi reliable. It'll run well for about 6 months and something will happen that requires work.

With the Jag, as soon as I think I have things under control, a check engine light comes on or a new noise appears. Now don't get me wrong, I love working on cars, and bought this one as a fun project. It's just that the fun never ends. I will say, the engine is running flawlessly. The convertible top works as it should and the front suspension is solid.

Well, back to work figuring out the constant check engine light and restricted performance that happens every few days. While all the lights are flashing at me, the car continues to run fine.

Old 07-18-2015 | 10:18 PM

If the MIL is on, what DTCs are stored? Post them here.

If the MIL is flashing, the catalysts are being damaged by a misfire. You must find and correct the misfire(s) or vacuum leak to prevent neat petrol being burnt by the catalysts.

Old 07-19-2015 | 05:24 AM

"Because its a Jaguar. And ----- even if your pushing it down the street --- Everyone feels better in a Jaguar"

OMG did that make me laugh......

Old 07-19-2015 | 08:29 PM
|

Originally Posted by NBCat
If the MIL is on, what DTCs are stored? Post them here.

If the MIL is flashing, the catalysts are being damaged by a misfire. You must find and correct the misfire(s) or vacuum leak to prevent neat petrol being burnt by the catalysts.

I had a P0171 and P0174 at different times, and also Intake Air Temp. I was being dramatic saying they were flashing. It's just that it will run fine for 3 days and then I get Restricted Performance followed by a check engine light.

I had no codes for the last 3 days. The day before yesterday, I get home from a 10 mile trip, pull into my driveway and get a restricted performance message with a check engine light. The check engine light was P1111 which means nothing wrong. Why did it come on after 3 days, and why the restricted performance message?

What makes it a little frustrating is that every time I get the check engine light and restricted performance message, the car runs just as it did before. No change. The engine is smooth and accelerates fine.

So far, for the P0171 and P0174 codes I have done the following:
New MAF sensor from NAPA
New air intake accordion
New breather hoses (both primary and secondary)
Just put in a can of BG44

I haven't done a smoke test yet but there is no air noise that I can hear.

Old 07-21-2015 | 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by johns55
So far, for the P0171 and P0174 codes I have done the following:
New MAF sensor from NAPA
New air intake accordion
New breather hoses (both primary and secondary)
Just put in a can of BG44
Sounds like where I find myself. Cleaned the MAF and new air intake accordion installed. Bought the part load breather hose, but have yet to install it. Check engine light and RP message intermittent, but no real effect on driving.

Let me know what you find. I may need that fix too!

Old 07-21-2015 | 09:03 PM
|

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Sounds like where I find myself. Cleaned the MAF and new air intake accordion installed. Bought the part load breather hose, but have yet to install it. Check engine light and RP message intermittent, but no real effect on driving.

Let me know what you find. I may need that fix too!
Will do.

Jag#4 (07-21-2015)
Old 08-01-2015 | 11:56 PM
|

This "lean" fault is frustrating. My car ran great for 3 days. No check engine light. Start it up this morning, light on, lean on one bank only. Why does it run fine for 200 miles and then give a code. I could drive it for 3 more days and the check engine light will go off for a while. Again, even though I have a lean code, it runs fine.

Old 08-02-2015 | 11:41 AM
Default indefeatible P0171

Sounds like mycar. I just returned from 1025 miles, three days long, trip. The first "restricted performance" came after driving little more than 250 miles. It lasted about 2 minutes and went away. During the whole trip it happened about 6 times. Always dreaded P0171 code. Once it was accompanied with P0455 code.
I gave up on it after i replaced Oě sensors, MAF, breather valve and hose, cleaned TB, etc. Now I just carry a scanner and reset fault codes, when "restricted performance" lingers around longer.

Old 08-07-2015 | 05:43 PM
|

I did a check for air leaks. Using carb spray while looking at the fuel trims, I think I have found the problem. Spraying the fuel injector base on cylinders 1, 5, and 6 caused the STFT fuel trims to go from +25 to around 0. The LTFT was pegged at +19. I have taken the injectors out and will send them to RXinjector for cleaning and new seals. We'll see if this takes care of the problem after I get them back.

cjd777 (08-07-2015)
Old 08-09-2015 | 12:24 AM
Veteran Member

I finally installed the part load breather hose and so far the P0171 & P0174 w/RP codes are gone. We will see after a few days driving.

But I think you changed your hoses already, so this may not be of any help.

Old 08-09-2015 | 05:46 AM
|

I finally installed the part load breather hose and so far the P0171 & P0174 w/RP codes are gone. We will see after a few days driving.

But I think you changed your hoses already, so this may not be of any help.
I hope this takes care of your problem. I did instal new part and full breather hoses. I'm hoping the fuel injectors are the problem. They have been sent to RXinjector for a full cleaning and new o rings.

Old 08-15-2015 | 06:09 AM
|

I got the fuel injectors back from RXinjector. They were not in bad condition. I installed them and took it for a spin. Runs as good as it did before. I went about 3 miles around the neighborhood. When I got back in the garage, I got the restricted performance message.

I hooked up the scanner while it was running to see the fuel trims. Before having the injectors cleaned and new seals installed, I was getting a STFT reading of +25. Now it's reading +12. Better, but not fixed. I've cleared the codes and will drive it this weekend to see what happens.

cjd777 (08-15-2015)
Old 08-18-2015 | 06:04 AM
|

Update. I'm afraid to say this and jinks myself, but the problem seems to be fixed. With the cleaned up fuel injectors installed, I've put on about 250 miles over the past weekend with no issues. I'm leaving today for a trip from Connecticut to Vermont. Hoping for it to be uneventful.

Old 08-20-2015 | 07:58 PM
|

I just got back from a 400 mile round trip from Connecticut to Vermont with many stops along the way. The engine ran perfectly. No check engine lights or problems.

Quick Reply: I'm going to make this car reliable even if it kills me!