Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impeller wheels never looked so good!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
I think new shocks in the rear paired with old shocks up front is why your car looks like that.

Mine is the same. The rear shocks are still good, but the front shocks and shock mounts are worn, which is why the rear seems to be really high up, when in reality, the front is lower than it should be. I think my rear shock mounts are also worn.

Ideally, I'd change the front shocks and shock mounts, and install lowering springs on all four corners and finish it with spacers. Finally, I'd change my wheels for the OEM Apollo style and have them painted Dorchester gray, just like you did. But before I do any of that, I'm going to have to win the lotto. If only I had time for a job, but I digress.
I never thought the front shocks may be bad. Although the mounts are crumbling but I didn't think about the shocks. I do have a pretty bumpy ride and I've always wondered why they would have the rear so high. I'm not into doing that extensive of a job. I may take it to my mechanic but I'm guessing that's a pricy deal.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 752 Posts

With the mounts alone in bad conditions the front drops about half an inch.

A bumpy ride would suggest you have worn bushings, and maybe shocks and struts. If the mounts are shot, it's likely that you can hear a clunk and maybe some squeaking/screeching, if bushings are shot, that's a few more clunks. I don't know what the symptom of a bad shock is, but I assume it won't soak up the bumps as smoothly. It's likely the shocks are ok, but the mounts themselves cause a dramatic change in the stance when they're bad.

These cars are so front heavy, it's more likely the front suspension components will give out twice before the stuff in the rear will.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 09-21-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:41 PM
Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts

Looking good, Phil.

HRMMM... those caps... those wheels... I'm rethinking my strategry before I tire shop next month...

Old 09-22-2013, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
With the mounts alone in bad conditions the front drops about half an inch.

A bumpy ride would suggest you have worn bushings, and maybe shocks and struts. If the mounts are shot, it's likely that you can hear a clunk and maybe some squeaking/screeching, if bushings are shot, that's a few more clunks. I don't know what the symptom of a bad shock is, but I assume it won't soak up the bumps as smoothly. It's likely the shocks are ok, but the mounts themselves cause a dramatic change in the stance when they're bad.

These cars are so front heavy, it's more likely the front suspension components will give out twice before the stuff in the rear will.
That's the thing, no clunks like I had in the rear. I had the rear's replaced and fine now but I just get a very ruff ride over bumpy or bad pavement from front.
The bushings in the engine bay are completely crumbling but still intact somewhat. If they're supposed to be pliable, they're not!
Wish this was a cut and dry issue. Easier way to tell!

Old 09-22-2013, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Looking good, Phil.

HRMMM... those caps... those wheels... I'm rethinking my strategry before I tire shop next month...
If you like the Union Jack caps, better jump quick! Only one set left as of yesterday. And when I called my dealer the little buggers were about 40.00 each!
I'm telling ya, I NEVER thought I'd like the impeller wheels (but just didnt want to put $$$$ into new and tires) but this dark graphite /Dorchester color is awesome!! Just enough custom while still looking like possibly could have been a wheel factory option!
Just look at the Draco dark factory wheels!
I'm really excited about the side marker idea with the black and silver Union Jack badges I found. If they're measurements are correct, I can fit them in the chrome side marker light trim I have and finally something to fit and not look homemade!! I don't like the leaper badges in red or green, and I don't want to wire the passenger side for the clear marker.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

When I only changed the front shock mounts on my xk8, I gained almost a 1/2 inch, but still shy of the specified curb height. After doing the shocks several months later, I added another 1/2 inch and was right at the low end of spec, but more importantly, the ride improved dramatically. If you ever feel like she sort of 'wallows' or wanders annoyingly on highways or at mid-speeds, then you should definitely look at those control arm bushings (upper and lower) and the tie rod ends.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by H20boy
When I only changed the front shock mounts on my xk8, I gained almost a 1/2 inch, but still shy of the specified curb height. After doing the shocks several months later, I added another 1/2 inch and was right at the low end of spec, but more importantly, the ride improved dramatically. If you ever feel like she sort of 'wallows' or wanders annoyingly on highways or at mid-speeds, then you should definitely look at those control arm bushings (upper and lower) and the tie rod ends.
I don't get those symptoms as much as teeth rattling over bad roads and manhole covers. Since the upper shock mounts are totally crumbling, I'm hoping a flexible replacement will help somewhat. And new springs hopefully will help as well.