XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Inexpensive Audio Fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Inexpensive Audio Fix

I have a 1997 XK8 convertible with the Harmon-Kardon Premium sound package. The rear "sub-woofers" have been making pretty nasty noises over the past few weeks so time to investigate. I won't go into great detail about getting access to the speaker "cabinets" - there's plenty of information here and elsewhere about how to remove the rear seats, cover panels and seat-belt anchors etc. It took me about 30 minutes to get everything removed so not a major job and, apart from a decent Torx bit, no special tools required. All I would add to existing posts is that there's a plastic clip which anchors the rear panel to the metal frame and also attaches a small fabric strip of headlining.

Inexpensive Audio Fix-jaguar-speaker-016.jpg
Remove with care !

Also, the antenna wire for the remote is attached with one of those horrid "fir-tree" type fasteners which put up a bit of a fight before it came out. My (1997) car doesn't have the steel bracing tube fitted to later models.
I believe the following to be true, but please add comments if I'm wrong - could be helpful to others :
Early XK8 convertibles (1997/8 ?) have a Harmon-Kardon system - standard is radio/cassette/multi-CD player with 2 x full-range 6.5" speakers in proper enclosures in the rear side panels either side of back seats. Premium package has a separate amplifier in boot (trunk) with separate wires to a sub-woofer and a mid-range speaker in the same enclosures.
After 1998, Jaguar changed to Alpine units which have a different head unit and/or amplifier, with a much less sophisticated rear speaker mounting - just a flat panel really - and smaller drivers (6" diameter).
The Harmon-Kardon enclosure can be retrofitted into later cars with no modification to either the car or the enclosure for a better sound. The HK enclosure is wired for two speakers internally - both connections are used for the premium package, but only one for the standard system. I have no idea about the mid-range "hole" in the standard system - is it blanked off or just left open or is there actually a mid-range driver in there with a passive crossover circuit ? If you DO retrofit the HK box into a later car, you may also need a small metal bracket which attaches the rear (two) bolts to the metal frame of the car. I doubt this comes with the cabinet, but I assume it is required to make it fit properly.
The coupe is totally different with speakers fitted centrally behind back seats.
Due to circumstances beyond my control, the car had to sit outside during our extremely wet Autumn / Winter, and this, plus 16 years or so of use, resulted in falling-to-bits drivers :-

Inexpensive Audio Fix-speaker-damage.jpg

I accept that some people will spend significant sums on getting really high quality sound in their cars - that's fine and once I get sorted with a decent garage (shop) and a few other jobs done, I may look at a better solution. However, I wanted to get this sorted at minimum cost and minimum surgery to car or cabinet. I know there are drivers by Kicker and JL Audio which will fit the HK cabinet, but they are quite expensive and/or difficult to obtain in the UK. After a bit of research, I found a pair of JBL drivers :

Inexpensive Audio Fix-jbl-replacements.jpg

which I reckoned would be pretty much "plug 'n play". And, as it turned out, they are. They have several mounting holes around the side and four of them line up with the existing cabinet locations. They just drop in - the HK cabinet already has a rubber gasket, so although I used the one supplied with the new speakers, it probably wasn't necessary. The "old" drivers are soldered to the wires inside the cabinet, so it will be necessary to unsolder - re-solder the connections - otherwise it's a very easy job.
Whilst I was in there, I wanted to check the hydraulic rams for the roof so I removed the two cabinets - also makes it marginally easier to do the job but isn't actually necessary.

Inexpensive Audio Fix-enclosure-bolts.jpg

Inexpensive Audio Fix-jaguar-speaker-013.jpg

Pictures show mounting bolts, old speaker, new speaker fitted etc. If I can help with more info, just ask !

I also found evidence of an unwanted resident - a mouse - little bu**er had built a nest under the rear seat from some nice fluffy soundproofing and access through a neat little hole at the seat corner. Slight damage to seat, but not visible under normal circumstances. I think it's now long gone, but am thinking of installing a full-time cat in my cat to avoid further problems !!

Inexpensive Audio Fix-jaguar-speaker-017.jpg

The result : the JBL speakers were around £30.00 ($50 US) for the pair . They are full range with a built-in tweeter and passive low-pass crossover coil. I debated with myself about trying to sparate the tweeter wires and connect them in parallel with the existing mid-range unit, but decided that would be too risky. So, I'm actually "wasting" the tweeter but in the standard system, this wouldn't be an issue. The sound is actually very good - in my opinion, as good as the original Jaguar bass drivers. Enough power for my elderly ears, and an extremely quick, cheap and easy fix for an irritating problem. They will NOT satisfy the more discrimination audiophile who wants higher power and a better frequency response, but - you won't get that for 50 bucks !

Inexpensive Audio Fix-jbl-installed.jpg

Last edited by GGG; 05-31-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Sensitive information removed
The following 5 users liked this post by DevonDavid:
johns427 (10-18-2014), Msterieus (09-21-2016), preuss2 (06-30-2014), reb1999 (06-01-2014), Steve8 (05-31-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 09:02 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Neat, low cost solution on the speakers.
I always like to see audio or telephone aftermarket installs that are compatible, reversible and don't involve butchery.

What size mice do you have in Devon?

Graham

Old 05-31-2014, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Graham (and for your help with the edit). I have had two mice incidents now - they are very small, but they like expensive automobiles. One built himself a nice little nest by the battery in my Mercedes ML270 using soundproofing from under the bonnet (hood). The one in the Jaguar used the soundproofing felt to make a little nest under the seat and chewed his way in via the underside of the seat corner. You can only see it from below or with the seat removed so no big deal, but there's a perfectly good 1.4 Peugeot diesel sitting with the other cars, and he's totally ignored that ! Probably because he knows that Souris Roti avec Frites is a delicacy south of Dover !

Old 05-31-2014, 01:25 PM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

I caution anyone replacing their speakers. BE SURE to measure the OHM IMPEDANCE of the speaker YOU ARE REMOVING.

The replacement speaker MUST HAVE THE SAME ohm impedance or you risk destroying your factory, amplifier,head unit and associated wiring resulting in a fire or very expensive repair bill.

If you remove a 4 ohm speaker ,replace with a 4-ohm speaker.Not a 2 ohm

In my personal opinion, the factory stuff is garbage,even though you got new speakers, id get rid of the factory amp and head unit. And just run a good head unit wired to all the speakers with your (thicker) speaker wire(OPTIONAL)

Solder all your connections with a silver based solder to reduce resistance at wiring joints and improve sound quality.

THANK ME LATER

The existing wires are in the arm rest console, the seniors on this site will guide you with appropriate wiring diagrams ,beware the colors are confusing,so go slow.

I kept my factory stuff because we have a local noise ordinance that will fine you $100 if your music can be heard over so many feet and cops are always handing them out.Your 3rd offense results in your music equipment being seized, or the entire car if it has to go to a mechanic to be removed at YOUR EXPENSE.

Last edited by aode06; 05-31-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - I did make the point that :
They will NOT satisfy the more discrimination audiophile who wants higher power and a better frequency response, but - you won't get that for 50 bucks !
However - I think your use of the word "garbage" is a little extreme. I used to work in the music industry, and was with Martin Audio when we were making PA rigs for Pink Floyd and other major bands. I have studio monitor speakers in my home, and in spite of increasing years, I can still hear the difference between good and bad.
I don't want very loud - there's plenty of ways of achieving that badly - by spending not much money, and very well - by spending large sums.
I just want to listen to speech and music in my car at sensible volumes, and with good, perhaps not perfect, quality. I reckon I have that with my present system.
There's lots of issues about impedence and many different opinions about what will, or won't, damage amplifiers. Suffice it to say that I am confident that I haven't done anything which will destroy my amplifier.

The following 2 users liked this post by DevonDavid:
Msterieus (09-21-2016), test point (06-01-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

And now you have a matched set as Harmon Kardon and JBL are both owned by Harman Industries. You did well.

The following users liked this post:
DevonDavid (06-01-2014)