XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Inner Tie Rod Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick Schroeder
WHY cant i heat it up? And yes i have a plumbers wrench but i cant get enough torque on it
It's a very large fitting and heat travels. The steering wrack is full of seals. IMHO,,, the amount of heat you would you need to apply to a connection that large would be a LOT, to make a difference. If you do heat it up,,, extend the steering so the arm/knuckle is as far away from the rack housing as you are able to get it...

If you are able to get a large adjustable wrench on it,,, they should not be high torqued connections,,, give the wrench some quick taps with a hammer that is heavy enough to do most of the work for you and it should spin off. It's a covered thread and like one of the members here said, once free, usually it can easily be turned off by hand.
​​​​​
Jus say'n

Old 03-19-2020, 12:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
It's a very large fitting and heat travels. The steering wrack is full of seals. IMHO,,, the amount of heat you would you need to apply to a connection that large would be a LOT, to make a difference. If you do heat it up,,, extend the steering so the arm/knuckle is as far away from the rack housing as you are able to get it...

If you are able to get a large adjustable wrench on it,,, they should not be high torqued connections,,, give the wrench some quick taps with a hammer that is heavy enough to do most of the work for you and it should spin off. It's a covered thread and like one of the members here said, once free, usually it can easily be turned off by hand.
​​​​​
Jus say'n
Ya i found a youtube video from a loctite guy showing how to remove red loctite from threads and he heated it up. Yes i extended the rack all the way out and will try the c clamp style inner tie rod tool and last resort will be to heat it up.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Maverick Schroeder
Ya i found a youtube video from a loctite guy showing how to remove red loctite from threads and he heated it up. Yes i extended the rack all the way out and will try the c clamp style inner tie rod tool and last resort will be to heat it up.
Understood... Is there loctite on yours?

I had a really rough time with a Jaguar and the arms BeFo....

​​​​When I was really leaning into it, with the arm and shaft full extended, I noticed flexing in the shaft, or maybe it was just a matter of leverage and forces produced by leaning on it with the shaft fully extended than I was comfortable with (considering the rack mounts and seals)... I felt better turning on the large fitting (no heat) with the "nutt" ( for lack of a better word) as close to the rack assembly as possible. I simply didn't want the force being exerted on the extended arm to travel that way into the seals of the shaft/rack connecting point OR on the rack bushed attachment point on the subframe. All that to say - when I turn my inner steering rods off,,, I leave the "nutt" right close into the rack assembly.

Blah blah blah... I'll hush now.

You got it Brother... Sounds like it wants to fight ya!

Old 03-19-2020, 12:59 PM
Received 286 Likes on 183 Posts

Not to sound stupid or like a broken record, but you can actually see the flat sides on the far end of the tie rod end against the rack right? I'm only asking because the way your posts read makes it sound like you are trying to latch on to the rounded part. Again not trying to be ignorant, just wanted to verify. I've only ever had to use the clamp type on one of my cars and it was due to the tie rods not having any flat spots. I did mine laying on a stone driveway with a floor jack and jack stands.

The following 2 users liked this post by Timeisrelative:
JayJagJay (03-19-2020), Johnken (03-21-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

This area of the rod...

Sorry so sloppy.

The following 2 users liked this post by JayJagJay:
Johnken (03-19-2020), Timeisrelative (03-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 01:22 PM
Received 286 Likes on 183 Posts

Yes! Thanks for sharing the picture! it explains better than my description!

The following users liked this post:
JayJagJay (03-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 02:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Understood... Is there loctite on yours?

I had a really rough time with a Jaguar and the arms BeFo....

​​​​When I was really leaning into it, with the arm and shaft full extended, I noticed flexing in the shaft, or maybe it was just a matter of leverage and forces produced by leaning on it with the shaft fully extended than I was comfortable with (considering the rack mounts and seals)... I felt better turning on the large fitting (no heat) with the "nutt" ( for lack of a better word) as close to the rack assembly as possible. I simply didn't want the force being exerted on the extended arm to travel that way into the seals of the shaft/rack connecting point OR on the rack bushed attachment point on the subframe. All that to say - when I turn my inner steering rods off,,, I leave the "nutt" right close into the rack assembly.

Blah blah blah... I'll hush now.

You got it Brother... Sounds like it wants to fight ya!
ya it is lol. I hope I dont break a seal or something.