XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Ins. Co. Totaled My Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

I cannot imagine that the radar detector is a Jaguar option, maybe a dealer option and has little value and illegal in VA.

BEAV is correct that for $7k you could put a great new engine in your car. Pay the insurance co. the salvage value and have someone install a 'new' engine. Sell the repaired car and upgrade to a later model . . . or don't.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Has anyone bought and kept their totaled vehicle and stored it somewhere for spare parts? My XK8 will be totaled and I'm considering it.

Last edited by Skid Mark; 07-19-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Test Point, thank you. I will mull that over with my husband.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
The other tip off that this is a woman is in post #4. Every man I know recalls the precise month and day they obtained or sold a car they love let alone the year!

Doug
The original tip off was in the opening post of the original thread, where she said "my husband".

It would still be interesting to find out why an insurance company is involved in an engine failure. Brutal has made an educated guess, but no confirmation from the OP.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
My question is how did your insurance get involved in a "my oil pressure light came on and my engine died"
Maybe. But the insurance company never heard the part where she then drove home with the red lignt on so her husband could check it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...94/#post377131

Now, I'm use to being able to ignore these messages until I can at least get home and ask my husband about them, so I continued to drive it for maybe at the most 5 miles.

Last edited by plums; 07-19-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If I die soon and hopefuly come back as an XK in my next life, please DO NOT purchase me....... wouldn,t like to be #3 "Totalled" Buy a 911 instead, or something that else that needs culling!

Humour.............It,s a man thing.
Bob

Old 07-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Default My Ins. Co. Totaled My Car

Thank you for the snide remarks. I feel bad enough as it is.

I hit a dip in the road pulling into a parking lot and it caused damage to my oil pan. When I parked my car the oil started leaking out. I wasn't in the place but for five minutes at the most, was just picking up something. Then I drove home. The message did not come on immediately . I drove maybe 4 miles with the message on and then I heard a noise. I turned the radio down to listen to the noise and the engine stalled.

I'm sorry you don't like the fact that my insurance co considers it a collision. I'm sure if it happened to your wife, you would be happy they did! I pay my premiums and I'm not out purposefully trying to tear up my car.

Maybe the book on "How to win friends and influence people" would be a good one for you to read.

I'll pass on the 911. Thank you very much.

I find nothing funny about your post.

Last edited by BriteRed01XKR; 07-19-2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Atta girl!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
Atta girl!
I second the motion!

By the way, it does sound reasonable that this should be covered under collision since the cause was your vehicle impacting something and damage being done. Although this brings up another interesting topic of discussion. At what point would insurance not cover a mechanical problem? If you were driving and blew a piston rod just from wear and tear, that would clearly not be covered. But damaging the engine or some other component in an accident likely would be covered.

Doug

Old 07-19-2011, 07:53 PM

Hi
Au contraire madam! I am more than pleased your insurance company has agreed to pay up,take advantage of it. They make a fortune out of all of us, but I think you may be confusing me with other respondants to your post.
I would just like to think that there will be enough XK's left in North America in the future for folks to enjoy.
Always glad to help
Best regards
Bob x

Old 07-19-2011, 08:06 PM

Well, my reply was to two different posters. I just lumped you all together in my comment.

I'm emotional these days. When my "baby" is hurt, I hurt. If you know what I mean. I'm trying to find another one. I just don't think I am ready to throw in the towel and reside myself to driving Yukon 100% of the time. Nope, no..no....no!

I now have pictures of her posted in "the garage".

Last edited by BriteRed01XKR; 07-19-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: To make sense
Old 07-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Wow--that car's a beauty. I would be fighting like crazy to be able to keep it and just drop in another engine.

Doug

Old 07-19-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Skid Mark
Has anyone bought and kept their totaled vehicle and stored it somewhere for spare parts? My XK8 will be totaled and I'm considering it.
Skid Mark,

Sorry to hear about your car being totaled also.

Would you like to buy another one for parts? lol

Good luck to you.

Debbie

Old 07-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Put an engine in it!

Then decide if you want to trade up.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:36 PM

Point taken, although not being from the US I haven,t a clue what driving 100% Yukon means, but I applaude anyone who can get a favourable response from any insurance company,I mean, how much are these companies making if they can afford prime time TV adverts every three and a half minutes.WE are paying for that!
Sorry my attempt at a little humour backfired.
By the way I wrote the book you mentioned, I also wrote "How to spot a red light and act on it"

Only joking!
Bob

Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 PM

Okay, Bob, no problem. Sorry for getting my dander up.

The "Yukon 100% of the time" had a missing word in front of it.
Yukon's are GMC SUV vehicles. It should have read "driving a Yukon 100% of
the time".

----------------

Someday when I'm done making typos, I'll make sense.

Thank you to all of you for your suggestions.

My husband will probably just want me to take the money and
give the car to the insurance co. to deal with. That's him. He's not
the type to want to have to have too many moving parts, so to speak.

I think the car deserves an engine. I feel like we are just running out of
time and will have to make a decision within the next couple of days.

I haven't heard back from the guy in California wanting to buy it.

I need to hear from Ross about his engine still. (member Spark...something)

Any one else know of a good engine?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

Re: the 'radar'. Jag had an optional cruise control that detected possible collisions with other objects and responded by decel &/or braking. From what I've read most owners of the system wish they could turn that particular feature off and just have standard cruise control. The system was designed as 'all or nothing'.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Debbie,

Sorry to read about your engine problem but it's good to see that the insurance company is covering the damage. Sometimes it's easier to walk away and move on. It depends on circumstances, contacts, spare time available and the 'headache' potential.
I have had a look at your pix (nice colour combo for a young lady) and as has been said the cat is looking for a new engine. I suggest you make some enquiries with the insurance company and feel them out as to the $$$'s they will accept for the write off then put out more feelers for a replacement engine.

Just my opinion.

Eddie.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

we're always looking for salvage parts around these forums, i've purchased back seat cushion, visor, auxillary row of buttons (you know, the ones with the hazard and heated seat buttons?), tried to find an engine cover (big plastic thing - no luck) and convertible seals ($125 for 6-inch pieces from the dealer!!!), I still want a climate control (cuz I have a burnt out knob) and others are always looking to buy seat modules, ABS modules, ECUs, wiring harnesses, throttle bodies, control arms, headlight assemblies, the convertible top lift rams, pump...there's lots of money in them if you can take things apart when needed, and can store it somewhere in the meantime.

^^ for anyone considering parting out an xk8-r. Takes some organization though, of what is 'unavailable' and such.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly congrats in getting such an offer, XKR prices are in free fall in the UK and I recon I would be lucky to be offered $10000 if mine was totalled. Recent prices on fleabay for XKRs have been ranging from £4700 ($7k) upwards.

Ask them if you can have the salvage for nothing, this has worked for me in the past, twice, so its worth a go.

As for putting in a new engine (I wish I had you insurance over here I really dont think a UK insurance company would have paid out for a seized engine) go to your mechanic and ask how much as soon as possible. If the car is a good one just do it. Far better the devil you know rather than going out and buying one which you dont know the full history of.

Good luck in what ever you do.

Quick Reply: Ins. Co. Totaled My Car