XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Ins. Co. Totaled My Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

I've made a decision to keep the car and fix it. I talked to my tech (found out this is the better word than "mechanic") and he resolved my fears about an engine that has 93,000 miles in that it is a European versus a domestic engine with that many miles on it.
This is the only engine he could get with his sources and will have a 1 month warranty on it. He gave me a fair estimate of $7,200 parts and labor. So I figure I can get it back for $2,500 and just put the $10,000 in the bank. I am losing value in my car hence the $10,000 I will have to compensate.

So, thank you so much for all of your input in this. It has really helped in making my
decision. I will get my car back and that will feel pretty good.

Debbie - "I am woman, hear me roar!"

Old 07-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Congratulations!...I think you will be happy with your decsion.

One thing though, have your technician check if the engine has the updated (metal vs plastic) secondary timing chain tensioners. If not, it will be worth an extra few dollars to have him update them.

The plastic tensioners have a design flaw, and when they fail they can also cause total engine loss..thats why they need to be upgraded.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Mkae sure to replace hoses under blower and depending on date of manufacture for engine. New upper (secondary) chain tensioners. The hoses should be no additional charge as that done with the engine swap. He(or she) can pop off 1 cam cover to inpspect the tensioner for updated metal bodied instead of plastic. That would be alittle extra. But you have no idea of the previouse owners level of care or maintenance

Old 07-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
I cannot imagine that the radar detector is a Jaguar option, maybe a dealer option and has little value and illegal in VA.

I think she's talking about the adaptive cruise control. It uses radar to maintain your spacing between other vehicles.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Wasn't aware that the '01 had the adaptive cruise system available.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:02 PM

I was talking about the add on radar detector. I found it was a X40 Superwide or something like that. Ins didn't cover them anyways.

I need to know about the two different engines again. I can't find the post about it. I need to know all about how to find which one mine is, do I need the same one, if not do I need something else with the other etc. Thank you. ASAP! lol

Old 07-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Your 2001 XKR has the 4.0 liter supercharged engine.

The 4.2 liter engine began with model year 2003 (although they started delivery in 2002).

Old 07-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Please forgive me for complicating your decision process but, while a well cared for Jaguar engine is good for lots of miles, there has to be one out there with lots less than 93k miles.

You need an AJ27 SC engine used from '99 to '02, in the XKR and also in '99 - '03 in the XJR. I would bet that you could find a much lower mileage engine yourself on the internet. Careful, the '99 XKR/XJR super charged engine conversion from the previous AJ26 version transition date is a little murky. While the AJ26 can be used it will significantly raise the labor on the swap. Shipping is going to be about the same whether 100 or 1000 miles. Check out Car-Parts.com.

Most knowledgeable folks would select an '01 - '03 model due to the uncertainty of the Nikasil cylinder lining (another long story). See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ify-faq-25912/ for more info than you could possibly need.

At this point however, everything being equal, a good Nikasil engine may well be better than a steel sleeve one.

It would appear that you are going to come out far ahead, financially, and the left over money could be considered, partly, compensation for pain and suffering in addition to diminished value.

Again, forgive me for making this more complicated. Hope everything works out!

Old 07-20-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Your 2001 XKR has the 4.0 liter supercharged engine.

The 4.2 liter engine began with model year 2003 (although they started delivery in 2002).

Thank you. I called the dealership and gave them my VIN.

My tech is going to join the forum. Ya'll be nice to him now. ;o)

He's a super guy. So grateful to have him. He services European cars.
I told him how great you all are here.

He said to ask if there is anything that he should do while he has the engine out. I passed the suggestions about the tensioners and the hoses to him.

(((HUGS)))

Old 07-20-2011, 06:20 PM

Please forgive me for complicating your decision process but, while a well cared for Jaguar engine is good for lots of miles, there has to be one out there with lots less than 93k miles.

You need an AJ27 SC engine used from '99 to '02, in the XKR and also in '99 - '03 in the XJR. I would bet that you could find a much lower mileage engine yourself on the internet. Careful, the '99 XKR/XJR super charged engine conversion from the previous AJ26 version transition date is a little murky. While the AJ26 can be used it will significantly raise the labor on the swap. Shipping is going to be about the same whether 100 or 1000 miles. Check out Car-Parts.com.

Most knowledgeable folks would select an '01 - '03 model due to the uncertainty of the Nikasil cylinder lining (another long story). See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ify-faq-25912/ for more info than you could possibly need.

At this point however, everything being equal, a good Nikasil engine may well be better than a steel sleeve one.

It would appear that you are going to come out far ahead, financially, and the left over money could be considered, partly, compensation for pain and suffering in addition to diminished value.

Thank you Test Point. I have passed this information on to my tech.

I hate being the one to make all these decisions. It's taxing my feeble brain.

I'm so ready for a vacation. Off to Sanibel Island, Fl in August. It can't get here fast enough!

Old 07-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

The XKR model didn't start until the 2000MY.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Maybe 2000 in the US but it was 98 here in the UK!

Besides I wouldnt fit a 4.0ltr I would put a 4.2 in it for fun

Old 07-21-2011, 07:07 AM

XKRacer, What a cool website you have! I've bookmarked for future
viewing. Love the cars!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I'm just thankful XKRacer is waaaay over there, I'd have him doing so many personal modifications. His work is mucho-impressive, isn't it Debbie? I'm curious if he's actually found something that he can't do on one of these cars...money being no object of course. So, is there any mod you've had to say to a customer, "sorry, that can't be done"?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:50 PM

h20boy, - His work is very impressive. I'm drooling! I'm glad he's not close to me either!

Just saw my baby again today. I went and made a payment to get my tech going on
my car. She looked better than anything else sitting there. Love that car!

I

Old 07-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Received 6,312 Likes on 5,499 Posts

Good news, keep us posted on the repairs, maybe a couple of pics if you can get them.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
I'm curious if he's actually found something that he can't do on one of these cars...money being no object of course. So, is there any mod you've had to say to a customer, "sorry, that can't be done"?

Yes and no, given enough motivation (thats the new word for $$$) anything is possible.

I was asked once if I could bore the engine out to 6.0ltr, that would be a no, the max is 4.7, but when it comes to bodywork,

I am comtemplating doing a body conversion on an XK convertible to give the car a more retro look, think of XK meets E Type, everything I do is 90% Jaguar orientated so it would be obvious to choose something like that. The outcome would be something similar to the Growler concept pics that were released recently , the back would be very similar but the front would be single head lights like the E and not those side vents which are to Merc for my liking.
The idea would not be to do an E Type replica based on an XK (thats been done) but to create something more modern. Just thoughts, I have been asked a few times if I can do it, the cost would be horrendous which is why I would be the one paying for the design and creation and the customer pays for the conversion.

Just depends if I think there would be a big enough market for it?

Old 07-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Received 6,312 Likes on 5,499 Posts

Hey Debbie!

What's the scoop on your car, any progress?

Old 07-30-2011, 09:24 AM

The engine was suppose to have arrived yesterday. I haven't talked to him.
I spent so much time going back and for with him about which engine I wanted
that I'm sure I was a nuisance.

Here's what the outcome was of insurance. They gave me 20-something for the car, I bought it back for $2,500, plus my deductible. My tech has gone up to 9-something on
the parts and labor, so I'll end up with around 7k to put in the bank which is nice since
we seem to be spending an awful lot of money on vacation.

I didn't have to get a salvage title. They said because the car was 10 years old. So I'm happy about that. Insurance continues as it was on my car.

So far so good. Thanks for asking Norri!

Old 07-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Debbie
Congrats on making out and keeping your cat. They are just like family and it's hard to let go.
Good Luck

Quick Reply: Ins. Co. Totaled My Car