XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Instrument Cluster Bulb Replacment

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 12:15 PM
Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Bulb Replacment

I have had the RPM area bulb out since purchased from PO so finally worked itself to top of list of to do.

I watched Rev video and read several posts and was able to do the job without to much trouble. I did want to add a couple of comments that I think will help a few people help understand how the parts come apart.

First there is power to dash when the key is out. So probably a good idea to remove battery when doing unplug and plug in of instrument connectors. Having the battery connected while doing some of the work allows for up down of steering column.

I like to know what actual parts look like as it helps to understand the removal so to that I am going to show the parts I found helpful.

Removing the panel under steering wheel has two push in connectors near top corners that will be holding it on after removing the two torx screws along bottom edge.

Gently pull out to release these, that is the valet button at top of photo. Other side same location.

Two screws phillips head on bottom corners of wood trim, once removed then out a little at bottom and then pull down to remove the tabs along top edge. Once cleared enough remove electrical connector from top right trip-meter.

When removing watch the top to clear two tabs, then out enough to remove electrical connector.

You won't be able to see the connector as wire is fairly short, top and bottom squeeze then pull.

Remove wood trim for AC vent to left of cluster. It has three pins that push through holes. Work it out evenly a little at a time.

Pull to have more clearance at bolts and room to pull the cluster.

Cluster has 4 bolts to remove. Slide it forward a little so you can get to the two connectors to squeeze top and bottom at center. Then roll top toward you and lift out.

One each side looks similar. Pulling out slightly so you can get a finger under the bottom edge.

I changed all 4 of the larger bulbs although only one was out, used Sylvania 2821 a 3W bulb vs oem that was a 3.4W I think. It was obvious previous changes where made as old bulbs were different kinds with one factory number and three not. Most posts I read said change all 8, but I left the small ones that are not on all the time and would have low hours of burn time. The bulb socket is a small 1/8 turn to left and out. Replace bulbs using clean cloth to hold so you don't get glass dirty with oil from skin or worse. This is also a really good time to clean the cluster and wood trim so have appropriate cleaner and soft cloth handy, stuff for eyeglasses works well.

Reassemble reverse order, special note with wood trim AC vent first then cluster area. Don't over tighten screws in plastic as you will crack things.

The following 5 users liked this post by TexMurphy:
bcprice36 (03-26-2017), cjd777 (03-26-2017), JimmyL (03-27-2017), Johnken (03-26-2017), Redline (04-01-2017)