XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Interchiller Installation XKR

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 07:07 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Billy,
Will do of course, once installation is completed. Let me know what type of Nitrous you are thinking of and also which company. Have you reaearched which type is suitable for this engine set up?
Regards,
Paddy.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Paddy,

Most likely I will go with Nitrous Express as they own Snow Performance now and are located up in North Texas....I'VE LOOKED, that's about all at this point....will let you know!

Billy Clyde

Old 04-08-2021, 07:15 AM
Default Update on Killerchiller installation

Hi All,
After much delays with wrong size parts, fittings and short pipes, and delays in shipping etc we have installed the killerchiller kit. Except not without some problems with the upgraded Bosch 0392022010 Aux water pump. It does not seem to be able to circulate the coolant sufficiently, instead it is working in pulses rather than continously. We seperated the coolant system from engine coolant system and replaced the intercooler heat exchanger rad (0.94 L approx) on front with charge cooler tank 3.87L, Interchiller unit and also Aux Expansion tank 2L. I am wondering if this is too much work load for the pump to operate on with increased coolant volume? Or is the position of pump to be raised as there might be a static head to overcome if the tanks are in higher/lower position relative to the tanks? Any body got any ideas?
Would be much appreciated. Tanks are fitted in front of bay where intercooler exchanger rad was located with interchiller lower down and charge tank fitted above it with expansion tank fitted next on rhs to both of them. Attached some photos, excuse the quality.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:47 AM
Received 162 Likes on 92 Posts

This remined me of my floorheating in my house. It is just a circulation pump and will not produce any pressure and therefor will not be able to push the water to a higher level. The solution on my heated floor is to pressurize the whole system.

Old 04-08-2021, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Paddy,

My Heavens! I've never seen so much stuff being crammed into such a small space my life! And you still don't have an Electric Water Pump for the Intercooler?

Could you draw-out a routing of what you have done? How did you re-route all the Hoses and where do you have them running to......or how did you split the (2) Systems.....where do the all hoses go now? I just can't figure it out...need a MAP!

Billy Clyde

The following users liked this post:
zray (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 857 Posts

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/

ask these guys about what pump you should use. i’d upgrade to a cwa100 regardless

Old 04-08-2021, 02:05 PM

Hi Xalty,
I already upgraded the pump to the MB E55 AMG Bosch model so should work more efficiently. Maybe if not resolved will look at another inline pump between the tank and interchiller itself.

The schemmatics are much the same as Killerchiller.....just looks messy from that angle. I will forward details diagram once i manage to get it all working!
Got all the air and bled the system already so will know shortly if the system works.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 768 Likes on 387 Posts

instead it is working in pulses

is it really pulsing or is it surging?
I have plumbed some extreme flow paths while using that pump, never had pulses...if there is air it might lose a prime if it is located higher than the mean fluid level.
More specific info is required to really help you out.

wj

The following users liked this post:
Paddy Dunne (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 10:02 AM
Default Update on Killerchiller

Hi Guys,
Just to update you the after much delays not limited to CoVid lockdown, delayed parts, missing parts, incorrect sizes pipes, incorrect pipe fittings and all the associated 3 week delay each time and in combination with time difference and video calling and getting the other guy to work out how to use whatsapp video call........against all odds ......we installed the killerchiller!! And it works a dream!!
we seperated cooling systems, removed the heat exchanger altogether for the S/C, installed a charge or 3L header tank between upgraded pump and above interchiller unit, added solenoid valve between chiller itself from A/C circuit, set it up as dedicated a/c supply solely for cooling S/c circuit so no chilling of cabin and 100% resource to cool the S/c heat exhangers and controlled by isolation switch and also by the main a/c on/off on dashboard. Added an 3L expansion tank with overflow also after the interchiller. Insulated all the tanks, coolant lines and chiller lines to s/c heat exchanger flow and return. Only real problem was coordinating the queries with time frame and lack of communication from supplier. But remained patient and sorted it out in the end, just a pity it was so painful to get through. As the space was tight at the front where (main s/c heat exchanger or radiator as we call it this side of the pond) is, we had to remove part of front wnd frame and alter it and weld new brace to fix all the tanks to also which was very straightforward actually. And only other issue was the dimensions and lenghts of pipes of universal kit did not match the Jag so due to the best routing of pipes we needed longer ones.
I will attach the key photos anyway.
In the middle of all this, the mechanic working got CoVid and was out for 4 weeks sick! But recovered also!
So overall result was excellent, i was pleasantly surprised. After driving hard or flat out, foot to floor after lifting the bonnet the cast inlets casing around s/c were ice cold! Where all the adjacent parts were so hot! So really works.
On the performance part, there is notable difference in torque and response and even more mid range from 50 to 120 mph was a lot faster!!
Now i know i have made a lot of changes but this added further to the mix.
Next steps upgraded S/C 3 stage porting, rotor replacement and coating, and replace all seals and bearings.
2 inch primary 4in2in1 shorty exhaust headers. Getting 3D jig made if anyone has interest. Seperate thread i will update on this.
Water Meth VC-50 injection booster system.
And finally ECU remapping tune if i ever get there!
Car will hopefully be pushing north of 550bhp but lets see!

Old 05-18-2021, 10:06 AM
Default Pump issue

It turned out the pump worked no problem, was just balancing the circulation and removing air or burping the system initially resistance. Once it was filled it balanced out and worked fine.

Old 05-18-2021, 10:30 AM
Default Photos Installation

Marked cut out from frame

Blue marks pipes to be insulated so no cooling loss.

Had to remove part of front frame and alter weld new brace on to allow mounting and increase space for bumper to refit back on.

Insulated all tanks and coolant pipework to maximize efficiency ot impact of system.

Old 05-18-2021, 10:37 AM

Current images with car lowered 35mm, powerflex bushes complete set and wheelbase extended 40mm and wider tyres 305's on rear.

Old 05-18-2021, 10:42 AM

Rear view !

With custom 3inch straight thru twin exhaust with scavenger and race cats. All other 5 boxes deleted with just 2 back straight thru' silencers.
Custom 41/2inch oval tailpipes.