XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting info on concours judging.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 333 Posts

Just to clarify, I would have done everything to my car whether or not I was entering. Maybe not clean the engine to the extent that's necessary but I do keep it somewhat clean anyway. It's my pastime, hobby. I sit all day putting together and designing very detailed small jewelry and there's something relaxing to go out and clean my car. I don't need my glasses!!
And luckily so much of my visible engine is new that its easy to clean. I'm putting a brush attachment on my vac then wiping down what's left. I'll probably get a friend to help and make a day of it.
I will fess up that I'm leaving my car with my detailers while I'm at a trade show the week before the event. I don't get back until Tuesday and the car has to be there friday so I won't have time to do everything. I'll let him do the big cleaning and buffing and I'll do the final bits at the event. He always details my cars in July while I'm gone anyway.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,867 Likes on 7,149 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Hey Doug--you can't be married no? yes?

Doug

Nope, gave it up years ago

Cheers
DD

Old 04-01-2014, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
That's basically where I am coming from also. I may have enjoyed doing that sort of thing when I was young and had time to burn and there would be a slim chance that I would want to do that when retired with lots of money (not gonna happen). But I have a vision of myself running away from the guys in white coats that my wife would be calling should I come home from work and explain that I would be spending the next several hours in the garage cleaning and polishing the engine, to be repeated the next night, then the next, then the next. . . which is why I was asking Doug if he had a wife to contend with.

Doug

I'll tell ya, I'm not entirely sure I would ever do it again. If I do, it won't be with a car that sees lots of use in bad conditions, that's for sure.

With any luck I'll be starting a major Jag project this year and I'm debating just how far I want to go with 'all the bits that nobody ever looks at' type of thing. There's a LOT of satisfaction in it but it's SO much work to keep it looking good.

It's like any hobby, I guess. You throw yourself at it and have a good time. If you get a bit burned out, you give it a rest. Maybe you'll go back, maybe not.

It was sure fun while it lasted, though....sorta like the marriage

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Well Doug, the way you descibe it mate, I guess I can never really get there.....

I suppose I'm really just an enthusiastic amateur, but the neighbours seem to think I'm nuts, so maybe I qualify??

One day I may wash n clean the car inside n out.....the next day have the wheels off and am painting the calipers / hubs whilst cleaning the wheels inside n out.

A few days later I have the car jacked up at all four points and am washing the wheel wells as I didn't get around to it the day before.

Anytime the cars washed the bonnet and boot lid are lifted, doors opened and everything wiped down. Its already cleaned beforehand and this simple measure means it stays that way.

similarly with my exhaust tips, always washed every wash and never neglected....that way they look as good as new 7 years and 114k miles later on the A6.

Although it can be hard / tiring I also find it can be theraputic to some degree.

I particularly enjoy a drive later in the sun ( when its in the sky ) in a freshly cleaned, fresh smelling car

ccfulton (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64
Well Doug, the way you descibe it mate, I guess I can never really get there.....

From what you've described you're at least half way there already

Cheers
DD

Old 04-02-2014, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
From what you've described you're at least half way there already
I thought Jim was describing the normal car guy weekend wash process, but turns out I may be most of the way to the loony bin myself...

Old 04-02-2014, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccfulton
I thought Jim was describing the normal car guy weekend wash process, but turns out I may be most of the way to the loony bin myself...

Errrr sometimes mid week too

Old 04-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccfulton
I thought Jim was describing the normal car guy weekend wash process,

When Jim mentioned painting calipers and hubs and cleaning the inside of the wheels as part of a normal routine....well, that's a clue . I think he has the disease but not all of the symptoms are manifest at the moment. Or he hasn't revealed them to us.

Jim, does your car-care kit include a lint roller? C'mon. Be honest now!

but turns out I may be most of the way to the loony bin myself...

Do you use a small brush to clean your dashboard vents and radio buttons? Are you taking the time to clean your brake and throttle pedals? If so, you're a concours guy and don't realize it. You might as well attend some events and enjoy the fun

Cheers
DD

Old 04-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Replies below within your quote.......

Originally Posted by Doug
When Jim mentioned painting calipers and hubs and cleaning the inside of the wheels as part of a normal routine....well, that's a clue . I think he has the disease but not all of the symptoms are manifest at the moment. Or he hasn't revealed them to us.

Jim, does your car-care kit include a lint roller? C'mon. Be honest now!

NO.....Yay, Im normal...

Do you use a small brush to clean your dashboard vents and radio buttons? Are you taking the time to clean your brake and throttle pedals? If so, you're a concours guy and don't realize it. You might as well attend some events and enjoy the fun

Errrr, I use a 1" paintbrush to clean my dash vents, around the gear shifter etc etc.

I've been known to use Q tips on the dash vents also from time to time in the past.

I have also been known to get on my hands and knees using a nailbrush to clean my brake / throttle pedals etc
Am I still normal or do I have the first signs of OCD or whatever?

Cheers
DD

Old 04-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

You need an intervention right away..... OR simply resign yourself to entering a concours event. You got the right stuff!

Cheers
DD

JimC64 (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 333 Posts

Wait a minute! I have a lint roller in my car!! With a black top, it's a necessity!! Lol

The following 2 users liked this post by philhef:
01Silverstone (04-02-2014), JimC64 (04-02-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 06:24 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I was hoping someone would mention a lint roller, I thought everyone with a fabric roof liner used one? This one's for Doug. A collection of dental picks (dentists call them explorers I think) can go places a Q-tip or tooth brush can't. Nothing better then a dental pick to remove stubborn dirt from any exposed bolt threads.
I only attend the fun shows these day but have the satisfaction of knowing that should I open the hood (bonnet) at a non trailer event or even when no one is around in my garage that my aging car's engine still looks factory fresh - but now with miles. Who says retired folks can't be kept busy?
Footnote: My wife and my daily drivers don't know what dental tools are but those cars are kept to what most folks would call a relatively high standard of detail.
RB

Old 04-05-2014, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by East Haddam
I was hoping someone would mention a lint roller, I thought everyone with a fabric roof liner used one? This one's for Doug. A collection of dental picks (dentists call them explorers I think) can go places a Q-tip or tooth brush can't. Nothing better then a dental pick to remove stubborn dirt from any exposed bolt threads.

Very clever

If I ever get back into the game I'll add dental explorers to my kit!

Cheers
DD