XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Interior invisible mold contamination - out of solutions RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:34 AM
Jip
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Would the charcoal be absorbing the ozone rendering both useless?

Jip

Old 07-30-2017, 12:34 AM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jip
Would the charcoal be absorbing the ozone rendering both useless?

Jip
No. The ozone is generated by the machine while in use, then it transforms into oxygen while reacting with light. When i'll use the ozone machine i will take out the carbon.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:21 AM
Jip

I don't get it. We had a fire in the basement of our church. Smoke damage throughout the church. Clean-up crew spends a week in the building. I don't know how they did it but the smoky smell went away.
As far as soggy carpets go, I've got a car that leaks in the rain. The passenger side carpet gets wet. Just so the floor won't rust out, I place a small space heater on the passenger side floor and let it run overnight. Open the windows about 30mm. Often times the carpet can be dry on the surface, but the mat underneath can remain damp and moldy, I would guess. As mentioned before, we really don't know how many gallons of milk and dog pee have been spilled on the floor.

'Cheers' Jip

Old 07-31-2017, 04:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine used to leak through the gutter above the door and then run down the door pillar into the footwell. At first I thought it was the door rubber. It's not a formed gutter. It's an outer part screwed to the car with a seam that leaks.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:29 AM

Hey Guys,

Took a millionth opinion from the guys that restore Ion Tiriac's cars (maybe you've heard of him ). The shop is right behind his museum that hosts part of his car collection. I won't mention what i saw in the shop...moving on to the XK8. They said the problem reside in the seat foam, that should be changed. Don't know if i should take it step by step, for example changing the foams and then seeing if it smells, then changing the door panels and so on or just buy a whole interior and change it. Not sure if first re-dismantling the whole interior to bare metal, steering wheel airbag included, and start from that point.

being their noses are "fresh" and my clothes smell, i reckon they have a point with the seat foams.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:34 AM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Seat foam sure sounds like a likely cause. Easy enough to just remove the seats and let the car air out for a couple of days to see if the smell dissipates before you dismantle the whole interior. With luck, the stink is contained only in the foam and the skins are okay. Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Maybe your next post will start with "Eureka!"

Old 08-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Jip

That sounds like a good idea. Take the seats out. Place an apple box on the floor of the car and take it for a spin. See what happens in a couple of weeks. Put the seats in large garbage bags.
We don't know how many gallons(liters) of milk have been spilled on the seats.

Jip

Old 08-07-2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jip
Trilapis;
''If Debbie can do those shapes that i'd be happy to ask her for a quote.''

I just might do that today, Trilapis. I need to stop by Debbie's to inspect our two Captains' Chairs being re-upholstered in fake silver carbon fiber. Plus the chrome shop to pick up the 4 freshly re-chromed armrests. Then to Professor Jake at Johns' Auto Toggery,
[John?s Auto Toggery Gallery - Repair | Skagit County | Mount Vernon, WA ),who really does cut custom foams for 'seat, side bolsters and lumbar supports. Plus headrests in correct foam so your head doesn't bounce off of your headrests in an unlikely event. I'm just guessing he would need a Jaguar seat to start with, but I would be happy to try. Be kinda' fun, really.

'Cheer's Jip:
Hi Jip,

Seems i haven't zeroed in all sources and one of the stink sources are the seat pads. Do you think Professor Jake can build me the seat foams? Can't seem to find them anywhere.

Thank you

Old 08-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Jip

Well, yes. We talked about this before. Jake said 'anything is possible'. I asked him if he needed the seat to make new foam and he said 'yes'. Let me think about how a donor seat can be found. Hard to believe there isn't someone in your area who can cut foam. Have you triad a furniture upholsterer?

Jip

Try these.
https://www.google.com/search?site=&...k1.OfrUFsLALEA

http://www.sngbarratt.com/CatalogueP...=12774&a=14389

I just sent a couple of questions to them. I should be hearing back.

Last edited by Jip; 08-08-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jip
Well, yes. We talked about this before. Jake said 'anything is possible'. I asked him if he needed the seat to make new foam and he said 'yes'. Let me think about how a donor seat can be found. Hard to believe there isn't someone in your area who can cut foam. Have you triad a furniture upholsterer?

Jip
Talked with guys that were restoring the seating of a 1,5 million Aston Martin from the sixties. Problem is that all classic cars had a basic seat shape, that can be obtained by handcraft. The shapes of the XK8 seats require a machine. that is at least what they have told me. I'll keep on asking.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Jip

Hell, a foam cutting tool looks like a hacksaw with a red hot guitar string that slices foam like butter. And about as easy to shape.
We'll find you something, Trilapis. I'm waiting for a reply from a couple of the links I posted.
Gotta' go fill up the boat. now. Sun's out.

Jip

Old 08-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Jip

Trilapis;
Here is one suppliers reply.

RE: SNG Barratt Website Enquiry

Thank you for your enquiry.
Unfortunately we do not offer these foams yet.
Kind regards,
Frank

Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 11:09 AM
To: sales.us@sngbarratt.com
Subject: SNG Barratt Website Enquiry

The following website enquiry was submitted by Jip on 08/08/2017 at 15:09:23

Dear Sir or Madam;

Can you make seat foam for an XK8?

James

Old 08-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Jip

Ya' know? Seeing how your car is too new to be 'vintage' and foams are difficult to make without a donor seat, it might be easier to buy a pair of used seats. Assuming the foam turns out to be the source of your problem. Recent XK seats are everywhere online and other Jaguar seats may fit your car. Maybe 2006 XJR Portfolio seats might be an idea. Or 1939 SS100 seats. Think of the possibilities. Or used Ricaros.

97-99 JAGUAR XK8 PASSENGER RIGHT FRONT SEAT 51979 | eBay

Jip

Old 08-10-2017, 11:45 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

In the US, used seats are 250-500 and around 200 shipping. Stripping them is a major pain, so you may not find someone willing to do that to drop shipping costs. No idea how costs are for Intl.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:03 PM
Jip

dsd. FleaBay has many global advertisers. Some of the seats for sale were in Europe. I just grabbed a couple and posted the link. See where it goes.

The latest.

'Hello James,

Thank you for your inquiry. My name is Mars and I will be more than happy to help you with your questions.

Unfortunately no. No one has decided to reproduce those pads at this tim (and the OEM is already discontinued).

If you have any more questions please feel free to reply to this e-mail or call us during business hours at (805) 921-0100 or (800) 222-9577 and look for me, my name is Mars.

Special Note: Any kind of response would be much appreciated even if you have no more follow-up questions. This allows us to confirm that you’ve received our response.

Mars Quito
World Upholstery & Trim
mars@worlduph.com
(800) 222-9577 Toll Free
(805) 921-0100 Local
World Upholstery & Trim, American Manufacturer of Car/Auto Upholstery, Carpet, Convertible Tops, Car Seats, Headliners & Door Panel Parts for Classic European Cars like Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar, Fiat, Ferrari and Alfa Romeo
World Upholstery & Trim: USA Manufacturer and Distributor of European Auto / Car Upholstery

So there it is, Tri my friend. If the seats turn out to be the problem then it's time to cruise the junkyards and find some beater seats in mint condition for 50 bucks USD.
Or like the guy says, they're all the same basic shape means buy just the bare frames on Ebay for under $100.00 and build your own. Buy an XJ foam and leather kit and stretch it over the frame. Or gold glitter. Be the only one in Romania.

Jip

Old 08-12-2017, 04:26 AM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

...but, before spending out on altering the seats, how confident are you that the seats are the culprit?

Last edited by Diddion; 08-12-2017 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Because he is going to take them out of the car and see if it improves anything.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:11 AM

Hi All,

thank you all for trying to help and for keeping this bizarre thread up. Can't believe it's almost two years i'm battling this.

So i too have spoken with Sngbarratt UK (actually the new covers that are currently in the car are bought from them), Worlduph, and a few other shops, Arden included.

i have started searching for them used seats on ebay. And still have one local chance with a highly appraised interior craftsman that is a bit busy but on a very short phonecall he said "he can source them". Don't really believe him but heck, i don't have too many other options...

and yes, i will need to firstly take out those seats. But being logic and hoping that the german guy from jaguar classic division was wrong (the one that said the smell can be embedded in the metal itself) the seat pads are to blame. At least for the stench in the clothes. Throwing away the roof made quite a difference.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Question Why not FIX-IT!

Originally Posted by Trilapis
Hi All,

thank you all for trying to help and for keeping this bizarre thread up. Can't believe it's almost two years i'm battling this.

So i too have spoken with Sngbarratt UK (actually the new covers that are currently in the car are bought from them), Worlduph, and a few other shops, Arden included.

i have started searching for them used seats on ebay. And still have one local chance with a highly appraised interior craftsman that is a bit busy but on a very short phonecall he said "he can source them". Don't really believe him but heck, i don't have too many other options...

and yes, i will need to firstly take out those seats. But being logic and hoping that the german guy from jaguar classic division was wrong (the one that said the smell can be embedded in the metal itself) the seat pads are to blame. At least for the stench in the clothes. Throwing away the roof made quite a difference.
Trilapis,

My drivers seat in my 2005 XKR had broken down because of my FAT rear sitting on the Left-hand side more than the right.....So, I went to the Auto Upholstery Shop across the street from my Office and they took the seat apart, made new form cushions for the bottom portion of the Seat and replaced a couple pieces of Leather that had worn quite a bit and put it all back together, along with cleaning both Front Seats! They both look like new and for a $1,000 Bucks they don't stink! They do smell a lot like Leather though. Maybe you could find an upholstery shop somewhere in Romania that could do the same thing? Now that you know what the problem is FIX IT! (If you need "Stiches'" Phone Number, Let me know!)

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 08-19-2017, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jip
dsd. FleaBay has many global advertisers. Some of the seats for sale were in Europe. I just grabbed a couple and posted the link. See where it goes.

The latest.

'Hello James,

Thank you for your inquiry. My name is Mars and I will be more than happy to help you with your questions.

Unfortunately no. No one has decided to reproduce those pads at this tim (and the OEM is already discontinued).

If you have any more questions please feel free to reply to this e-mail or call us during business hours at (805) 921-0100 or (800) 222-9577 and look for me, my name is Mars.

Special Note: Any kind of response would be much appreciated even if you have no more follow-up questions. This allows us to confirm that you’ve received our response.

Mars Quito
World Upholstery & Trim
mars@worlduph.com
(800) 222-9577 Toll Free
(805) 921-0100 Local
World Upholstery & Trim, American Manufacturer of Car/Auto Upholstery, Carpet, Convertible Tops, Car Seats, Headliners & Door Panel Parts for Classic European Cars like Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar, Fiat, Ferrari and Alfa Romeo
World Upholstery & Trim: USA Manufacturer and Distributor of European Auto / Car Upholstery

So there it is, Tri my friend. If the seats turn out to be the problem then it's time to cruise the junkyards and find some beater seats in mint condition for 50 bucks USD.
Or like the guy says, they're all the same basic shape means buy just the bare frames on Ebay for under $100.00 and build your own. Buy an XJ foam and leather kit and stretch it over the frame. Or gold glitter. Be the only one in Romania.

Jip
Found some decent seats at a fair price, somewhere in California, rear pads included, problem is that the shipping to here is a fortune...any ideas how to ship them cheaper to Europe? I just need the pads and the back plastic covers of the seats, so weight is not the problem, volume is.

and i need to be sure that the problem are the pads. Went yesterday to another upholsterer that told me the pads are not the prblem, that he will just wrap everything in leather and the smell will be gone. Really starting to lose my patience...will take the covers out, pads, rear seat covers and the steering wheel airbag and see if the smell dissapears.

Quick Reply: Interior invisible mold contamination - out of solutions RESOLVED