XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Intermittent working alpine radio and separate NAV unit on 05XK8

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent working alpine radio and separate NAV unit on 05XK8

Please help, I have an 05XK8 convertible with the original Alpine stereo stock power antenna and separate NAV unit located in center of Dash instead of the three analog dials. Most of the time the radio nerve unit are in operable and sometimes when driving I’ll press the power button to the radio and it will come on and everything works as it should including the power antenna and the separate navigation unit. When I turn the car off and go to drive it again it is again an operational. I remove the consul and check the wiring for both units and everything appears normal. As anyone knows that has this car there is nothing to indicate what fuse goes to white. Personally I don’t think it’s a fuse because it works intermittently. Is this connected to the ignition switch somehow anybody have any suggestions please help I love my XK8 and it sure does make the experience much more pleasurable with a working radio and personally I do like the look of the clock when the NAV unit is operational. Thank you for again for any help

Old 04-24-2020, 10:00 AM
Received 293 Likes on 219 Posts

Well, it won't be a fuse, however if you what to know which fuse does what look inside the lid of the fusebox in the boot.

When you say you've checked the wiring, do you mean visually or with a multimeter?

Old 04-24-2020, 11:34 AM

On an 05 xk8 The underneath of the lid of the fuse boxes do not have fuse diagrams unfortunately. I inspected the wires visually disconnected them and plug them back into the radio unit and NAV unit to make sure the connections were clean I don’t know how to use a voltmeter so I’ll have to Google it and buy one. I thought maybe somebody else might’ve had a similar situation. It’s funny because the NAV will work if the radio is working but if the radio isn’t working the NAV isn’t working can you tell me where the fuses are located for the radio separate NAV unit

Old 04-24-2020, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,674 Likes on 994 Posts

a bad amplifier caused my intermittent outage of the radio / CD player / AND the navigation unit.

Z

Old 04-24-2020, 07:26 PM

Thank you, where is the amplifier located and how did you figure that out? I’m trying to fix this myself because in the small Midwestern town that I live in there is no one that wants to touch the car so if you could please be specific it would greatly help

Old 04-24-2020, 07:42 PM

Thanks again, I found another thread on jaguar forum, what a great resource this is! I guess I’ll pull the amp and have it tested and go from there. Thanks again

Old 04-24-2020, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lincoln Colt
Thanks again, I found another thread on jaguar forum, what a great resource this is! I guess I’ll pull the amp and have it tested and go from there. Thanks again
since my issue started out as intermittent, I didn’t know how much testing was going to do me ..... and I didn’t know how or where to get it tested anyway.. I’m another small town X-100 owner. Pretty sure it’s the only one within 50 miles.

so I just bought the cheapest eBay (exact) amp that I saw , $32. I got lucky and that fixed the issue..

if you do go for a used amp lime I did, take your existing amp out and look it over closely. Only purchase an EXACT duplicate . Getting the same model number is crucial to having a happy ending.

Z

Old 04-24-2020, 08:08 PM

I’m happy that worked out for you and for only $32 I hope I’m that lucky or maybe I just have a loose wire or something to the amp, that’s my project for tomorrow. Thanks again I appreciate your replies this is such a great forum. Would you happen to know where I could get a diagram of all the fuse locations and what they control? For some reason on the inside cover of my fuse boxes they do not have A fuse diagram

Old 04-24-2020, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lincoln Colt
I’m happy that worked out for you and for only $32 I hope I’m that lucky or maybe I just have a loose wire or something to the amp, that’s my project for tomorrow. Thanks again I appreciate your replies this is such a great forum. Would you happen to know where I could get a diagram of all the fuse locations and what they control? For some reason on the inside cover of my fuse boxes they do not have A fuse diagram
i don’t have a use diagram for your year. Perhaps one of the other forum members can supply that.

A loose cable come out of the in-dash head unit can give intermittent no-sound / no nav unit power . On my ‘02 I could pull the carpet away from the driveline tunnel and get my hand and also a little light from my iPhone up to the rear of the radio and wiggle all the connections coming out of the unit. They were tight, so I then focused on the in trunk amp, which is a bear to get it and it’s frame out for examination.

there are many used amps on eBay for $50 to $100 , most of them are “no returns accepted”. But the prices are so attractive that I didn’t mind taking a chance.

Z

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (04-24-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 01:22 AM

I already removed the consul the radio and the NAV unit and checked all the connections and they seemed fine but the consul needed a good cleaning so it wasn’t in vain. I’m hoping it’s a loose connection to the amp or just the amp like it was for you. I appreciate you sharing Your issue and solution I would’ve never thought it was the amp.