XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Introduction from a guy looking for an XKR

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 10:36 AM
Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Introduction from a guy looking for an XKR

Hi folks, my name is Michael. I've got a bug to buy an XKR. I would prefer a coupe because... well, because coupe. But convertibles are more plentiful, it will make the wife happy, and I do like convertibles after all. This car will be a weekend/occasional toy, so practicality doesn't really figure in.

So, I grew up with Jaguars. My dad had a 1953 XK-120 that he sold to his brother and after the dash/electrics caught on fire he bought it back, and he kept that until I was about 8. Somewhere there's a picture of me standing in the empty engine bay digging out grease with a little screwdriver. We also stripped about 8 different colors of paint from that sucker, and he sold it in 1969 to buy an XK-E. We kept that car long enough that I learned how to change and set points, rebuild calipers and learned to drive a manual transmission, as well as listening to my father use creative profanity to express his frustration with working on that car. I remember the second time we did a clutch on it, how angry he got. Someone told him that a Chevy clutch would fit, and it almost did...

So, throughout college my dream car was the XJ-S so when I was about 30 or so I bought one, at night, without a PPI. Wow, what a nightmare that car was. As my mechanic told me, nothing but the finest British parts fall off of a Jaguar. I had that car for a year and a half, and in that time there was a two week period in which everything worked. Otherwise, I was always chasing something, be it a water leak, failing electronics or no-start condition.

In the mid aughts, for no particular reason that I can remember, I bought an XJ8. It was a solid car, built like a Ford with about as much character and charm. My GF (now the wife) loved it, but I found it to be a huge snore.

Since then I have toyed with the idea of buying another XJ-S, or a more modern edition in the XK8. However, I've driven the XK-R a few times and I do enjoy my horsepower, so it looks like that will be my target.

Speaking of targets, I'm looking at the X100 because I prefer the body style and interior appointments, and from my limited knowledge and fear of internal engine repairs, I'm going to focus on 2003-2006 cars.

Anyone in the RDU area that can recommend an indy shop to perform a PPI for when I find something, please let me know.

I'm mostly a BMW guy, as you can tell from my name and avatar, but I don't like the direction that they're going in and their "sports" models are just too stiff, too loud and too uncomfortable. I've BTDT with Corvettes and Porsches, which are great cars but just too difficult to get in and out of, and just too darn expensive. Recently I bought a Mustang GT for my track days, which is surprisingly more fun that I expected it to be. The wife has a BMW and a Jeep Wrangler, which I hate with every bone in my body. It does well in that one day every 3 years that we have snow, but I won't drive it otherwise.

Seems to me that an older XKR is a real bargain, assuming of course that it doesn't turn into a money pit. I always advise people to buy the best car that they can, but I'd really like to keep the expenditure down on this one, since it will be car #5 and I'm running out of space...

The following users liked this post:
rgrannis (09-17-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,390 Likes on 2,866 Posts

The best British indie shop in the Triangle is Flying Circus English Cars in Durham. Toby Briggs is the owner, and his sister Sarah runs the office. Phone (919) 596-4250, website Flying Circus Cars | Welcome to Flying Circus!. Both Toby and Sarah have helped me out several times during the past ten years or so....

BimmerGuy (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

I was in your shoes 3 years ago, except that I needed my target XKRto be a daily driver.

When I did the research on known faults, google took me to this forum, which was a lifesaver.

what I learned was to first find a car that had the more pricey known Faults repaired by a previous owner.
Those are: cam chain tensioners, and the water pump,

I found such a car & it’s been a joy to own with very little trouble, especially for a 20 year old

good luck in your search

Z

PS. No rust issues, or you’ll be upside down very quickly

BimmerGuy (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you be interested in a super clean, always garaged, never smoked in, meticulously maintained 2011 XKR convertible?
It kills me to sell her, but recently moved to a rural mountain house with 4x4 only road access.
"Stella" is Polaris white with the black performance package, only 41k highway miles, battery is 5 months old, tires have less than 2k miles on them. I can send photos if you're interested.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Honestly, you're targeting a good car for your needs. The 4.2L SC cars are really as solid as they come; you can save money with the 4L XKRs, but the price gap is not enough right now. I own a 4L X100 XKR and a 4.2L X150 XKR; the 4.2L drivetrain is rock solid, where you have to do some upgrades of timing bits and water pump on the 4L XKR motor. An 03-06 were really as good as these cars got. Basically other than the green shower possibility in convertibles, they had resolved the design faults.

The following 2 users liked this post by 80sRule:
BimmerGuy (09-14-2020), PKWise (09-16-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Linda-Sands
Would you be interested in a super clean, always garaged, never smoked in, meticulously maintained 2011 XKR convertible?
It's probably out of my budget range, but sure, I might be. I'll send you a PM.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:43 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Longtime Bmw owner here too e46 e30 and e39, i love my xk8 convertible, Bmw really has nothing to compare to a luxo drop top or even a big coupe made before 2005 except for maybe the 8 series

BimmerGuy (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaaagtime
Longtime Bmw owner here too e46 e30 and e39, i love my xk8 convertible, Bmw really has nothing to compare to a luxo drop top or even a big coupe made before 2005 except for maybe the 8 series
I will say I LOVED my 2 e38s (a 95 740i and a 01 750iL). I hoped I would enjoy my e83 X3 but honestly never have liked it and I just let my dad drive it; I like my Jetta TDI Sportwagen more. Other than maybe the e63 and up 6 Series and all generations of 8 series, they haven't been doing it for me.

The X100 and X150 are both excellent choices, especially compared to the BMWs in segment, such as the M6 with its sketch bottom end, or even the V8 with carbon issues. Just good cars; and I'm not trying to hate on BMW, I desperately wish the e63 were a better car.

BimmerGuy (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jaaagtime
Thanks @Jaaagtime . The old 8 is a huge, overly complex fat pig, maintenance nightmare that looks dated. The new 8 (I came close to buying one earlier this year) is a wonder of technology and drives fantastic. I just couldn't justify the price.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

BimmerGuy,

If you really want a Jaguar XKR Coupe, my Friend has one for sell with around 63000 miles and in great condition. He is getting older and doesn't drive anymore. Let me know if you want to know more!
Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 09-15-2020, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
BimmerGuy,

If you really want a Jaguar XKR Coupe, my Friend has one for sell with around 63000 miles and in great condition. He is getting older and doesn't drive anymore. Let me know if you want to know more!
Billy Clyde in Houston
Hey Billy, I saw that car in the classifieds. It's too expensive, and I don't care for silver, and I don't like the wheels. I'm also honestly a little concerned as it appears to have been sitting for quite a while, which is never good for a car. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BimmerGuy
Thanks @Jaaagtime . The old 8 is a huge, overly complex fat pig, maintenance nightmare that looks dated. The new 8 (I came close to buying one earlier this year) is a wonder of technology and drives fantastic. I just couldn't justify the price.
Yes agreed on the old 8 the new one looks real nice.

Originally Posted by 80sRule
I will say I LOVED my 2 e38s (a 95 740i and a 01 750iL). I hoped I would enjoy my e83 X3 but honestly never have liked it and I just let my dad drive it; I like my Jetta TDI Sportwagen more. Other than maybe the e63 and up 6 Series and all generations of 8 series, they haven't been doing it for me

The X100 and X150 are both excellent choices, especially compared to the BMWs in segment, such as the M6 with its sketch bottom end, or even the V8 with carbon issues. Just good cars; and I'm not trying to hate on BMW, I desperately wish the e63 were a better car.
Agreed on all fronts. The x100 looks so good and the interior is just classic and comfortable the convertible drives pretty nice and i bet the coupe is even better. My fiance has a glk 350 we got after a pretty used up 2005 clk500. Small world i guess as her mother has a e83 x3, the glk drives cirles around in all departments i think.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:03 AM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Billy, are you selling?

Old 09-17-2020, 09:08 AM

Bimmer Guy, i have a 2006 Black coupe with just over 35k miles. New Michelin Pilots, new battery, Ricaro seats, wood dash (not carbon). It is in San Diego, so logistics are sketchy, but if you are interested it would be fun road trip back to NC

Old 09-17-2020, 09:39 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Bought this from another Vietnam veteran’s family after he passed through their broker friend. I am the 7th owner. He purchased the car out west and flew there to pick it up. When driving home, he hit a small animal and messed up part of the grill and front area under the right headlight. After repairs and the car was at his home, he enjoyed it for a while and unfortunately passed away. The car sat and when I got it to my home, it was running poorly. Traced it down to the fuel pumps and lots of fuses. The pumps are in the tank and I had to pull the tank out to replace both. Took a while but fortunately I have a lift so it was not as bad as it could have been. Installed a Mina grille and fixed up all the dents and scratches and had the entire car repainted. Had the seats professionally refurbished a few months ago and all services are up to date. This Jaguar runs great and is very fast. Must sell, too many cars so selling this and another one. Installed the center council upgrade. 53,500 miles. You will need to do the repair the electric raise/lower on the headrests as is common on this model. It is a DIY project and little to no cost. It is a great car and has good tires and a new extra matching wheel and 2 extra new BBS rim protectors. The engine number is 010813HHMM and was built AFTER the change over to the primary and secondary metal tensioners as well as the plastic finned water pump impeller. Last Jaguar service check Apr, 2020 at 53600 miles. Car was scratched badly on passenger side while parked and side swiped. Was repaired at great body shop in May 2019. 2 new tires Nov 2018. Water pump and valve cover gaskets replaced as well as oil changed. No leaks on underside of vehicle. Not driven in Winter conditions. This is great Jaguar and a modern classic. There are no dings or dents on the car now. Comes with a cover for use in the summer when the top is down. MAKE ME AN OFFER I CAN'T REFUSE.... DRIVE IT HOME. Title is clear. Vin: SAJDA42B82PA25845 I'm asking $13,500.00 But !!!

Links to more photos Several Duplications:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...95RlI3REZ0VE5R

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...De9ESR1eCDOoMZ

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...lJhU1MTLPdCadW

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...IYETzmLYzVVbKn

P.S. I belong to the Carolina Jag club if you need a link to them let me know.
Ken

Old 09-17-2020, 09:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BimmerGuy
Hi folks, my name is Michael. I've got a bug to buy an XKR. I would prefer a coupe because... well, because coupe. But convertibles are more plentiful, it will make the wife happy, and I do like convertibles after all. This car will be a weekend/occasional toy, so practicality doesn't really figure in.

So, I grew up with Jaguars. My dad had a 1953 XK-120 that he sold to his brother and after the dash/electrics caught on fire he bought it back, and he kept that until I was about 8. Somewhere there's a picture of me standing in the empty engine bay digging out grease with a little screwdriver. We also stripped about 8 different colors of paint from that sucker, and he sold it in 1969 to buy an XK-E. We kept that car long enough that I learned how to change and set points, rebuild calipers and learned to drive a manual transmission, as well as listening to my father use creative profanity to express his frustration with working on that car. I remember the second time we did a clutch on it, how angry he got. Someone told him that a Chevy clutch would fit, and it almost did...

So, throughout college my dream car was the XJ-S so when I was about 30 or so I bought one, at night, without a PPI. Wow, what a nightmare that car was. As my mechanic told me, nothing but the finest British parts fall off of a Jaguar. I had that car for a year and a half, and in that time there was a two week period in which everything worked. Otherwise, I was always chasing something, be it a water leak, failing electronics or no-start condition.

In the mid aughts, for no particular reason that I can remember, I bought an XJ8. It was a solid car, built like a Ford with about as much character and charm. My GF (now the wife) loved it, but I found it to be a huge snore.

Since then I have toyed with the idea of buying another XJ-S, or a more modern edition in the XK8. However, I've driven the XK-R a few times and I do enjoy my horsepower, so it looks like that will be my target.

Speaking of targets, I'm looking at the X100 because I prefer the body style and interior appointments, and from my limited knowledge and fear of internal engine repairs, I'm going to focus on 2003-2006 cars.

Anyone in the RDU area that can recommend an indy shop to perform a PPI for when I find something, please let me know.

I'm mostly a BMW guy, as you can tell from my name and avatar, but I don't like the direction that they're going in and their "sports" models are just too stiff, too loud and too uncomfortable. I've BTDT with Corvettes and Porsches, which are great cars but just too difficult to get in and out of, and just too darn expensive. Recently I bought a Mustang GT for my track days, which is surprisingly more fun that I expected it to be. The wife has a BMW and a Jeep Wrangler, which I hate with every bone in my body. It does well in that one day every 3 years that we have snow, but I won't drive it otherwise.

Seems to me that an older XKR is a real bargain, assuming of course that it doesn't turn into a money pit. I always advise people to buy the best car that they can, but I'd really like to keep the expenditure down on this one, since it will be car #5 and I'm running out of space...
I have a 2004 XKR Portfolio convertible - only 100 were made. I have the Coronado Blue version. Absolutely love the car but after 4 back surgeries, it is too painful for me to get in and out of it. I had planned to put it up for sale this year but then the pandemic hit so I didn't really bother. Anyway, if you are interested, let me know and I'll send pix

Old 09-17-2020, 12:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to own a 1991 BMW 850 with a V12 under the bonnet. I now own a Victory Edition Hard Top Coupe 2006 XKR, the last of the x100 body style. This ZF transmission is a phenom and a beast at the same time, the power has never been delivered in such a smooth and uncompromising manner, the suspension is over the top. There is no comparison unless you go upwards in the British manufacturers, I'm sure those rides are even better than the JAG.

Old 09-17-2020, 03:53 PM

Marketing materials

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2006_XK Brochure.pdf (1.09 MB, 51 views)
Old 09-17-2020, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by JRabbit
Bimmer Guy, i have a 2006 Black coupe with just over 35k miles. New Michelin Pilots, new battery, Ricaro seats, wood dash (not carbon). It is in San Diego, so logistics are sketchy, but if you are interested it would be fun road trip back to NC
if I didn’t have my ‘02 XKR taking up valuable garage space, I would jump all over that. However I am available as a driver if the OP’s schedule is too tight to drive this beauty back home himself.

Z

crbass (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 925 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by zray
... However I am available as a driver if the OP’s schedule is too tight to drive this beauty back home himself.
I thought about this too. Bonus points for me:
1C. I live closer to Raleigh.
2C. My route will not take me through Oklahoma.
3C. One of my cars is black. Zray's appears to be blue.

Bonus points for Zray:
1Z. His is an XKR, all of mine are XK8's. Mitigating factor, one of my previous cars had an 8.2 liter engine.

I'll just switch class to online and make every day a field trip....

zray (09-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Introduction from a guy looking for an XKR